I just did a CSI on my Iaudio X5!
Jul 9, 2005 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cowby

Head-Fier
I was just doing some sound testings on X5 (H320 still next to me) with Grado R225. All the EQ stuff was all the way off..
280smile.gif

Here was how I tested the player.

I ripped my beloved 2 CDs with dbpower and the format that I was using was FLAC (level 5). Here we go...

The first song that I was listening was a pop song which was full of fast piano fingering. What... I heard some distortions thru out the song. Switching to another folders with other songs, same same case. I re-listen the CD via my PC sound card M-audio FW-1814. The result was : Loud and clear. So I just wondering if FLAC is still having some flaws in this release of the firmware ?
confused.gif
So I decided to re-rip the whole CD in OGG format (so in case the problem occurs again, I can A/B in H320). OMG, the OGG format still didn't please me.... some distortions ....
confused.gif

So the solution ....

Thanks for the tiny screen, I didn't see the MP was still ON which I supposed it was OFF during the test. After turning off the MP, I am in heaven. The Distortions went away... If you are a X5 user, may be you can re-produce the problem like I mentioned above.

Just a infomation sharing. If you turn to page 31 of the user manual :

4 MP Enhance.

MP Enhance is a sound field effect that compensates for the lost parts of the sound.

Cheers!

P.S The firmware is the latest one 2.07e.

Jul 9, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes this makes sense, since the mp3 enhance is supposed to fill in the ultra high frequencys that you lose on encoding to mp3, especially 192 kbs and lower. Flac would have those frequencys present so a boost on top of that would distort in theory.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cowby
thanks for your claification. In the time being, I will always turn all the EQ stuff off and test various format.

Just curious. How exactly do you load Flac files to X5? Is there software that comes with X5 that sincs X5 to your PC's Flac folder, or can X5 interface with Foobar, etc directly?

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 14
battery life and thickness

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 14
battery life and thickness only? same sound quality? Also what about against the mentioned iriver in the review(differences in sound)

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Okay, I try my best to answer you guys' question.

Jon L, the package comes with a software called Jetaudio. It can rip CD to major music formats like mp3, FLAC, wav and APE etc ... How to load it to X5 ? Just hook up X5 with the USB cable the open up the folder called "MUSIC', then you can drag and drop the flac file there. After that just un-plug the USB cable and press play. The whole process is less than 3 mins for 10 pop songs ripped as flac (counting from hooking up and disconnect the X5).

donunus, I always want to tell every Iriver H320 owners that X5 is just close to H320 sound-wise. I prefer H320 to X5. But it doesn't mean don't buy X5 and get a H320 since X5 still has its beauty. But pls just give me a day or 2 so that I can tell you more about the comparsion (sound-wise).

Jul 10, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 14
i love the sound quality of my h100, always did and still do, but after getting westone um2s i've been noticing WAY too much hiss. one of the main reasons why i'm planning on buying an x5l is because i hear there's basically no hiss. i'll be really disappointed if the hiss problem still exists..

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 14
sanity8me, you are not alone as I face the hiss problem as well (just bought um2 before X5). even if I turned the vol. to 0 in H320 the hiss still there.

X5 is far better and less hiss but don't expect none.

Jul 10, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #11 of 14
sanity8me: maybe a micro dac + amp (not essentitally the micro) might suite you better in combination with the h100..

Jul 11, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
i love the sound quality of my h100, always did and still do, but after getting westone um2s i've been noticing WAY too much hiss. one of the main reasons why i'm planning on buying an x5l is because i hear there's basically no hiss. i'll be really disappointed if the hiss problem still exists..

I have gone through numerous players because of that *****ing hiss. Glad to say I have stopped on the X5, and I am very very picky about these things.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Hiss on an X5? I hear nothing but clean detailed music. I do rip to high quality (non MP3) codecs and use Etymotics.

Jul 11, 2005 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 14
that's some really good news for me. guess i have no other options but the X5L now that i know it's basically the only HD DAP with hardly any hiss that has one of the, if not The, best SQ currently available.

it's weird, lately on head-fi there's been so much positive reviews/comments/impressions on the X5 that it seems almost unreal. it made me think twice about it, but besides it's weird design, which i don't mind, this player seriously seems like the perfect solution, especially for someone with canalphones like the UM2 and a folder organised iRiver H1XX.

hmmmmm... to wait for news for something else (karma2) or not to wait... and be in DAP bliss like you mofos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back