I just destroyed my HS-202's...
Mar 12, 2006 at 8:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
I used them only for running, and the fact that they have such an ludicrously long cable had finally gotten to me. So I decided to cut it, and solder on a new plug. BAD PLAN. The hot and ground cables really aren't insulated from each other in any useful way. I can't believe these cables don't fail more. Once cut, there was NO WAY to keep the ground and hot from touching. I tried several times by re-cutting at a new spot -- no use. The 202 really cannot have it's cable trimmed in this way. Just an FYI in case anyone else ever wanted to try it.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 9
OEM cables have are encapsulated in a thin layer of epoxy. They may not look it but they are electrically insulated from each other... to a certain degree.

use flux and tin the ends, the solder will ment through the epoxy. Doesn't sound like you've completely ruined them, just re-splice the cable and start over.

FYI to ya... I have had NUMBEROUS problems with the rat shack gold series TRS. bought 6 one time and 4 were bad and had intermittent contacts internally, but 2 were OK.

Garrett

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 9
I've soldered on new connectors to stock headphone wiring (KSC35 and portaPro) wiring. You just have to be very careful with the heat from your soldering iron. they usually just insulate the positive leads with a very thin coating of 'poly-plastic', not teflon, so it melts very easily.

If you are careful and fast with higher heat it is possible.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 9
are you sure that they are not just enameled wires?

can you take a pic of the wire that you are speaking of?
if they are enamled the thin layer of non conductive paint acts as the insulation.

Mar 12, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 9
It's neither enamel or poly. It's just tightly wound fibers around the wire, that when you unwind at all will expose the wire.

Mar 12, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
It's neither enamel or poly. It's just tightly wound fibers around the wire, that when you unwind at all will expose the wire.

Ok that sounds different than the 'standard' cheap can OEM wire (like on my Koss' and other cheap headphones).

Photos would be cool.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't really have a camera that can get a good shot of the wires, they are so small. Plus, there's a buch of gross garbage on top of them now. I took off the earpads and then threw them out.

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I don't really have a camera that can get a good shot of the wires, they are so small. Plus, there's a buch of gross garbage on top of them now. I took off the earpads and then threw them out.

you threw the headphones away? damn people would have bought them at a discount of course! there are tons of DIY'ers like myself on here, who feel the need to put headphone drivers from one set of cans into the housing of another.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 9
I didn't think $29 HD202's would really interest anyone, but perhaps you're right, I should have thought of that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back