I just demo'd bose's line of full size headphones
Apr 7, 2007 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ywd

100+ Head-Fier
I must say, i was truly impressed by the noise cancellation on the QC3, for a supra aural headphone, it provided good isolation and great comfort. The QC2 was about the same, but i liked the feel of the qc3 more. The regular triports/OE's were identical to the QCs, but with no noise cancellation.

I'm no audiophile, but i can confidently say that they all approached the SQ of my ksc75s, with a bit less detail.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 10
They are good, there's no denying that. But not amazing...

I doubted Bose spent all their money on doing sound research. They are way overpriced for what they can give...

Better Sound Through Research.. *chuckles*... more like through marketing...

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no audiophile, but i can confidently say that they all approached the SQ of my ksc75s, with a bit less detail.

is that good? what's the drawcard in buying triport oe then?

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that good? what's the drawcard in buying triport oe then?

Well, i can't say any of them were a significant step up from the $20 ksc75, and all of them cost over $100, with the QC3s being like $350. The only reason i would ever buy any would be if i wanted active noise cancellation, but comfort was the biggest factor.

The longest i listened to any of them was about 10 minutes on the QC3, and i noticed that they didn't really block out speech. Hearing someone talking from 5 feet away sounded like their voice was part of the recording.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ywd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha, opinions as such do not favor the Bose offerings.
biggrin.gif
Well, it's expected. They're truthfully not exceptional at the least.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 10
I've always found that they served their intended purpose quite well -- blocking out engine noise on a plane. Unlike passive noise-cancelling devices, the Bose are specifically tuned to block out fatiguing low-frequency noises. By that same token, they block out refrigerator fans, heat registers, computer towers, and other lower-frequency pink noise kind of devices. I don't think they were really intended to block out speech, and they do a poor job of it.

My father, for instance, never even plugs them in to music. He pulls the cord, turns on the noise cancelling, and reads a book or whatever. Kind of pricey in my opinion, but business travelers are used to spending more than that on flight upgrades, so it's a justifiable expense.

The triports are, of course, a total waste of money.

Apr 7, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Heh, but still. If the only purpose was to cancel out external sound/noise, IEMs prevail. So if you want to hear speech, take the QC3, but if you want to not hear anything at all I get incredible results with slightly cheaper and much better sounding UM2? >.< Honestly there, and the solution used by IEMs against noise is pretty much trivial.

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 10
For someone like me, who's ears cannot stand IEMs, the only ones i can see myself purchasing are customs, when i have enough money.
I could see myself getting QC2/3s if i flew enough to justify it, and wanted to block engine noise but hear conversations and flight announcements. They do not sound "bad" by any means, but the sound is not worth half of what they cost.

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 10
If those Bose phones you mentioned cost $75 and $100 respectively, then I would say that they would be a pretty good value, and worthy of purchase when considering a pirce/performance ratio. Heck at those pricepoints, I might even consider buying a pair just to have a pair of active noise cancelling phones in my headphone aresenal, and for giggles. Also at that pricepoint, I am pretty confident that they would probably be one of the greatest choices available for active noise cancelling phones. But considering their actual pricetag, and then considering their price/performance ratio, they are craptastic.

But since the Bose corporation is a marketing genius, they take advantage of people's ignorance by charing 3 to 4 times what they are actually worth. Bose is kind of like the P.T. Barnum of the Headphone and Loudspeaker world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back