I just broke my E500s
Sep 25, 2007 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

JAG87

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought E500s from the BST section, I received them tonight, everything perfect

and then...

the left post snapped off while i was putting the foams on.

needless to say, im crying and I don't think I can stop.

I just wanted to ask you guys, what is the general consensus on Shure RMA, and what are the chances they will replace them for me.

and why is there no crying emoticon on this damn forum. wow I said damn, listen to me I'm really losing it...

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 28
Send an email to Shure and explain what happened, hopefully they will understand what happened and help you out. I've never had any problems so I don't really know how they handle things like that so I don't think I can help you out any more than that.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 28
Ooh, that's gotta hurt - sorry about your loss. Contact Shure ASAP - you'll get good customer service on repairs.

If you're willing to gamble, one user had success with the judicious use of superglue - gel type. Out of personal interest, I'd like to see and know if anybody has pics of this kind of repair job.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 28
it snapped right at the base. no way glue will ever hold this together. next time I replace the foams it will break again.

zomg guys, I haven't felt his bad in a long time. I was hungry and I completely lost my apetite.

anybody with RMA experience?

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 28
I wouldn't wish that on your E500s man. Maybe if you have had them for a while you dont feel so bad, but I just got them and I feel like I need to slit my wrists.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 28
Sorry to hear that Jag. Many members on this forum had positive experiences with Shure's after-sales support, so I'm sure your best bet is to contact them and see what happens.

Best of luck.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 28
I've had one experience with Shure's customer service. It was superb.

After over a year of heavy use, one of the wires on my wife's E2C's frayed enough that it quit working. One phone call to Shure, got an RMA, sent the phones back, and within a week they shipped back a brand new pair, in a sealed retail box (new case, tips, etc). All it cost us was the shipping.

I doesn't get much better than that, IMHO.

The posts aren't supposed to break like that, so perhaps you just got a defective pair. So long as you bought them from an authorized dealer and you're under warranty, I'm pretty sure that Shure will take care of it.

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 28
Don't try to glue it unless you are willing to take a huge risk. The post to my E3C broke and I tried to glue it but I just ended up clogging up the post so the sound coming through was very weak. And then it broke again a few days after.

Oh well, it was time to upgrade anyway..

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just contact shure, you should be fine.. not something worth crying over. they should replace it for you just fine.

Yea, my buddy and I both have the e4cS and he tore his and sent them right into Shure. I believe that they offer 2 year warrentees for all of their products.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought E500s from the BST section, I received them tonight, everything perfect
and then...
the left post snapped off while i was putting the foams on. needless to say, im crying and I don't think I can stop.
I just wanted to ask you guys, what is the general consensus on Shure RMA, and what are the chances they will replace them for me.
and why is there no crying emoticon on this damn forum. wow I said damn, listen to me I'm really losing it...

"When life gives you lemons make lemonade" (corny but), I think it's time for some E500 Customs. If Shure doesn't replace your E500's, which they probably will (this is not a new problem, blame the new post design), there are alternatives, see the cross-thread below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it all started with this thread that I noticed quite some time a go. And, while I was really happy with the fit I was getting from the tri-flanges for my e500s, I thought it might be cool to see what this guy could do.

Before leaving for Japan, I contacted the guy that did the work shown in the other thread to find out if he could do a custom mold for my e500s. He had never done a full mold like the one's shown for the super.fi's, but a custom sleeve would be no problem.

When I got to his shop in Ginza, he showed me some other stuff he had done (full molds for UE products) and said that he would like to try to make a full mold for my e500s, but that there was a risk that he would destroy them and that I would be left with nothing. "What the hell", I said, "No guts, no glory." So I let him take a shot. He had an assistant take impressions right there in the office and we were off to the races!

Also, I never really liked the cable system that came with the e500s, so I asked if that could be replaced. "No problem, I can use a UE10.Pro cable".

Wow, was I glad that I took the risk. The end result was even more than I had expected. What I have now is a unique Full Custom Shure e500 IEM!! But it gets better. To my ears, this mod has resulted in a number of sonic improvements too. Bass is tighter and less boomy, highs have opened up and overall clarity and detail has improved.

CIMG0715Small.jpg

CIMG0717Small.jpg

I think that there are probably a few reasons for the improvements. One, the UE10.Pro cable that he used has to be arguably the best available cable for an IEM (what a treat coming from the Shure cable). Two, he created a dual bore system for the high and low drivers (you can also see the little filters he used). Three, the change in housing material from plastic to acrylic. And four, the improved fit and isolation.

And now for the best part of all. Because he was using me as a guinea pig to see if he could actually customize the e500s, he didn't want to charge me. He only asked that I cover his cost for the cable, which was 3,600 Yen. I couldn't believe it? Thirty bucks U.S.? You're kidding, right? No joke. I actually felt a little bit bad and decided to give him another 10,000 Yen for his kindness and generosity. Still, that's only about US$120 for the whole deal, including impressions. Unbelievable.

His normal charge for doing the custom molds would be 50,000Y, plus the cable. However, he did say that if there was anyone else from Head.fi that was interested in the mod, that he would give them a discount. I don't think that you'll get the same deal that I got though
icon10.gif

PM me if you want contact info. He speaks a little bit of English too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back