I just bought the new audioquest Dragonfly version 1.2 and am very impressed
Feb 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

texanater

New Head-Fier
I haven't heard the original version so I can't compare but this is for my money a very fine piece of gear.  I had been using an HRT Music Streamer II+ combined with a Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang for my portable/bedside set up.  That combo is a little clunky for that purpose, plus I wanted to use that gear for something else.  I was just thumbing around and noticed the version 1.2 is supposed to a decent upgrade PLUS at $150 its half the price of the original.  

Overall its very musical and very pleasant to listen to.  It has great tonal colors and voice separation.  The music is very well articulated and clear and there is plenty of detail.  The soundstage is impressive too.  I may try to run it through my stereo to see just how good it is.  It has good base with authority and control.  I can hear the body resonance of a drum and the richness of a stand up base.  I listened to some hip hop too and it held up well.  If you are a total base head hip hopper then it might not be as much as you want but if you have reasonable tastes and expectations for base you will not be disappointed at all.  Its very neutral but not at the expense of losing tonal color.  I recommend this product without reservation.

I've listened to it with JVC FX700, Beyerdynamic DT880 32ohm version and Etymotic HF2 with custom ear molds.  They all sound great but I think I prefer the JVCs with this device.  

My only step back so far for utter praise (I wouldn't go so far as to say a complaint) is even though it had the juice to power the Beyerdynamics, I wonder how well it would handle something like the Sennheiser HD 600s.  It was plenty for the Beyerdynamics and they sounded great.  I couldn't turn the volume up all the way, but there wasn't a lot of headroom left.  Also (and this is nit-picky) I don't really like how it sticks off the side of the computer. I would rather have had a 90 degree angle so that the body of the stick rests against the computer.  If you set your computer on any uneven surface (like a bed) you may have pressure on the contact point which can't be good.

I'm a little reluctant to compare it to the HRT MSII+ with the RS P51 Mustang too much.  I am often guilty of overly enthusiastic honeymoon period. I'll go this far and say I much prefer the dragonfly with its added convenience and small form factor.  I may even like the sound better too regardless of convenience, but I'll let that settle in for a while.  I used to own the HRT Headstreamer which is now discontinued and I definitely prefer it to that product.  I like HRT products so its not easy for me to say that!

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is curious.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back