I just bought an old school!!!!
Nov 23, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO
cool.....

just dont buy an old church though
smily_headphones1.gif

why not? I would love to live in an old church or castle or something.

BTW - this place will be AWESOME for HeadFi meets spread over two-three days
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 61
Head up to Kennedy School in Portland if you need any inspiration! It also used to be a grade school, now a theater-pub/hotel. I always love places where I can watch a new (or classic) movie on the big screen while sitting on a couch with beer and food. Congrats! Sounds like great fun!

G

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO
cool.....

just dont buy an old church though
smily_headphones1.gif

I knew a guy who bought an old church on the prairies to live in. He was struck by lightning while standing in the bell tower watchings one of those fabulous prairies' electric shows. He lived BTW.

It was a major problem to plumb and get into good shape for electricity.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #21 of 61
Sooo...I see a Head-fi meet/RC race weekend, with a chili cookoff, and a mega LAN party...all at once! A tech clinic, where a PPA and Dynahi are built before your very eyes...a race: twenty teams compete to build a Chu Moy in shortest time...

Congrats - now people are going to say you are "Old School", and your poor kids are going to tell their friends at school that now that the school day is over, they are going to school to sleep.

Sounds like fun - I will happily visit when you have a meet, (if invited)

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #22 of 61
That sounds awesome. I would love to have something like a School to live in. I bid on an old Firehouse but some nit-wit ran the price up to 1.2 million and I bailed on that. The guy never did anything with it and it's still sitting there abandon 3 years later.

I can imagine using various rooms for audio,Home theater and all kinds of cool stuff. This is so much cooler than a regular house. Now I'm getting ideas.
icon10.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #23 of 61
That is so cool. Is this a multi-story building or a flat one? When was it built?
I haven't been to Coos Bay in a long time. Please post some pictures.

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of work ahead of you. A Very ambitious project. I wish you the best.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 61
If I buy a school to live in I will :-

* Bomb the math teachers room and convert it into the toilet
* Bomb the principals room and convert it into a pet room
* Remove the funk from the gym
tongue.gif
pheeyou!!

Man...there are so many things I can think of that I would do should I buy a school
eek.gif
Most of them are destructive though
tongue.gif
I hated school...the only reason I went there was to hand in the homework and spend time with my girlfriend...

My teachers were waaaaay too strict and caning was practiced. I have several scars and welts and being a rebel, troublemaker and wisecrack didnt make things easier
rolleyes.gif

and I could imitate teachers - I had a horde of juniors who thought I was god or something because of the way I defied the superiors
tongue.gif

When they saw me standing on one leg outside the staff-room they would buy me stuff to eat from the canteen
very_evil_smiley.gif
It was like a "student" union and I wasnt even 16 years old
tongue.gif

Come to think of it - school was kinda fun
very_evil_smiley.gif
Yeah...I am a dark and disturbing person
basshead.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #25 of 61
That depends... are you going to have urinals or the old style trough?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
That depends... are you going to have urinals or the old style trough?
very_evil_smiley.gif

No no no no!! None of those luxuries...

Its gonna be "Boy Scout" style - a hole in the ground
very_evil_smiley.gif
Maybe a Kidney Bowl if they all behave
eggosmile.gif

Ok I think I just "nastified" this thread
rolleyes.gif

<goes off to sulk in a corner
frown.gif
>

SULK.JPG

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #28 of 61
Congratulations on a GREAT idea. I've never heard of anyone doing this and its really making me think too. Hopefully the buildings are in reasonably good shape, and wont cost you a fortune to renovate and make liveable.
There are a few people in my general area who converted old barns to homes, and a couple are just amazing. I thought of trying that myself, buts an expensive proposition. MUCH more expensive than building a normal home, sadly.
frown.gif

JC

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #29 of 61
Well, last night was a blast. We let the kids in on the 6 month secret finally and they were ectastic! Primarily it was the idea of a gymnasium all to themselves that they were the most jazzed about. Our oldest daughter (12) was repeating "I don't believe you..." for the first 15 minutes until I had pointed out our plans in so much detail to here that I couldn't have made it all up. We had several family and friends there for the unveiling. It was a lot of fun... I was as nervous before telling the kids about it as I was just before getting married! the worst part of the whole evening was later that night when our 3yr old was having nightmares we think because of all the running around the huge building and the dark corners that they were playing in. We were woke up 4 times by her screaming and crying. My wife is not a pleasnt person when she gets woke up early.

The school itself is a great find. Nothing spectacular about the architecture, but nothing dating about it either. When I get done with it, I hope to make it look more like a school than it did as a school. I even want to add a bell tower that has an auto ringer every day at noon for the harbor just down the hill. We got the whole thing for the value of just the land that it sits on. I did a complete inspection before we bought it, crawling into every nook and cranny above and below it to look for problems and found nothing. It was very well cared for until 2 years ago when the school closed. There is a lot of work to do, mostly cosmetic. No structural work is needed. The layout of the 6 classrooms that are being made into apartments was perfect for converting. Each will be a 1000sqft studio apartment. Because we had to go through the planning department and have the whole thing changed to a "planned community", I can't call them "apartments". Instead, when you rent a "unit" they will be designated as "classrooms" and instead of numbers, they will be actual subjects... Math, art, science, history, english, and my favorate: Music! I will have a little fun doing a theme on each door. remember, I am a woodshop teacher!

In our half of the main building, we have 6 1000sqft classrooms that will be broken down this way: 1 as the master bedroom, 1 as the kitchen/dining/sitting, 1 divided into 3 bedrooms, 1 divided 1/3 as aonther bedroom and theother 2/3 as a playroom with pool table, foosball, etc; 1 as a general cr@p room (no longer thrown into my work area), and 1 as my long awaited woodshop. Then there is the old staffroom that will become our theater room, the principals office as the guest bedroom, the nurses office as my wife's craft room (only fair as I get a huge woodshop!) and the old office as a library.

The library will probably become a 7th apartment in the future, and the gym will be for play other than when it is rented out for public events, weddings, dances, etc... same with the cafeteria.

First things first though, we need to install a shower in the old boys room before we can more out there. We hope to have that done late next week. Until then, we get to listen to the kids asking "when are we moving?????" every hour, on the hour, 24 hours a day.....
If someone could host a few pictures for me for a little while, I would love to share some of the pictures with everyone.

Thanks for all the support everyone... this project has me scared as all hell, but excited like I can't really convey by words alone. I hope that at some point in the future I really can host a great head-fi meet here.
600smile.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #30 of 61
That's great news Ryan! do you still have the motorhome park as well? You'll soon be the numero uno leisure Baron in Oregon
icon10.gif

All the best with your new venture!

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back