I just bought a cd for $7 worth $99 on amazon
Jan 28, 2005 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Asterix

Banned
I just bought a used cd for $7 that when I check online was worth $99 for a new copy ($75 used.) This happens to be a cd I used to have years ago and lost. I guess it's rare now? It's a fantastic album, some of the best Ray Brown Trio I ever heard, with Gene Harris and Mickey Roker live... it's called the 'Red Hot Ray Brown Trio' - I think I remember reading they used Sennheiser mics for the live recordings... it sound great, and the album is top-notch. $99 is a bit outrageous though. I wonder why they are charging so much...

Jan 29, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 7
I've heard of out of print Mobile Fidelity albums going for at least that much, but that's about it.

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 7
Radiohead's first EP regularly goes over $250 when good copies come on sale...

Jan 29, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

$99 is a bit outrageous though. I wonder why they are charging so much...

Supply and demand.
biggrin.gif

I ran across something I've owned for years offered used on Amazon.com for $80. Figured I was going to clean up, but the next time I checked they were showing multiple copies for as little as $12.

Enjoy your music.

BW

Jan 29, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Supply and demand.
biggrin.gif

I ran across something I've owned for years offered used on Amazon.com for $80. Figured I was going to clean up, but the next time I checked they were showing multiple copies for as little as $12.

Enjoy your music.

BW

Some people on Amazon tend to "bait" a lot. Which means a dummy price of outrageous proportion is listed then disappears and the real value shows up. Buyers think they are getting a deal when in reality they are paying fair market value.

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 7
I dunno. I think it is supply and demand. If there's three people who want one copy, it shoots up. Or sometime and audiophile magazine writes it up to create demand. Then people see the high price the disc went for and think they might as well cash in on theirs, at which point the discs outnumber the buyers. Same with vinyl.

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 7
zowie, you are correct, supply and demand is also a huge factor. I didn't want to leave my post saying the shills are the sole purpose of higher prices but I was disrupted. Again like you said, if the cd gets a good plug in a publication that too can also spike the price up a lot, but these spikes are usually short lived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back