I just bought a cassette deck?!
Aug 9, 2003 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I must be mad. I don't know if I should be proud or embarassed but I just bought a used cassette deck today - a Nakamichi "Cassette Deck 2". It's a sweet looking little thing, a little high-tech modern and plastic-looking by Nakamichi standards but it's still a Nakamichi and I never had the bread to own a Nak.

Maybe obsolescence has it's benefits... Checking into it, they're practically giving cassette decks away on ebay. I couldn't believe the prices Even the hallowed Nakamichi Dragon is going for a song, I can't believe it. (But the CR-7 is still going for a boat-load of cash).

Since I'm in Thailand I couldn't take advantage of THAT huge fire sale, but, given the wane of cassette, I still picked up this Nakamichi for $125 bucks here in Thailand - considering equipment prices can be astronomical here, that's pretty good.(someone quoted me US$1,200 today for a Thorens TD-124 turntable without a plinth and without a tonearm!)

Why, is the big question?

Blame Tuberoller, but I went out and bought a bunch of old 45 RPMs the other day. I was thinking "high resolution = vinyl" ala his quote. Well, he's right. They sounded fantastic and I wanted to share the music with the old guy who sold them to me. He looked kind of sad to part with these old discs, and I wanted him to hear what he had for sale. I bet he never had heard them. Not many people have a turntable. At first I thought I give him a CD, but I can't record into my Macintosh (broken input) so then I thought I'd give the guy a cassette tape ... and that's when I released I no longer had one! Nada. How times change. In the past I would have had two decks and a couple walkmans around! Hence the search for a cassette deck.

But anyway. I'm having a blast. I think this deck was worth the bucks - even paying almost twice what you might pick it up for on ebay. It's certainly the nicest deck I've ever owned. And, boy, do I love making tapes! How many hours did I pass doing that in my youth. It's not ultimate fidelity, but it has it's pleasures.

Thank god for obsolescence... there's a Nak in the house!

600smile.gif

Aug 9, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 3
Congrats on the new Nak! May it serve you well!

Aug 9, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 3
There are an amazing number of cassettes available for a very low cost. I still have many of them tucked away in drawers and a dual player. It jumps from one cassette to the next. It was fir uninterrupted listening and dubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back