I Just Bought a 23 Year Old CD Player - WOW!
May 7, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cut this nasty prisoner power cable and install a flying powerplug in order to connect a de ent power cable.

Don't think this cable thing is top priority but I'm loving your atavar pic BTW.
eggosmile.gif

May 7, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 21
Akai CD-A7 - Ha!

I owned one back in the mid-80’s, it was my first CD player. I can’t really comment so much on its sound quality, it’s been too long ago now… but the program logic was way cool.

BTW, you can skip songs by clicking the >> button, or hold it down to FF

Here’s what was so cool about the programming - It was totally logical and intuitive.

Say you wanted to listen to songs 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,13,14,15, and 16. Rather than selecting each tune one by one, you simply enter “1 to 9 without 6 and 13 to 16” Or let's say on a 14 song disc, you can't stand songs 3 and 10, just enter program 1 to 14 without 3 and 10. No other company ever came up with nearly as elegant a programming approach.

Hope your get’er running again man, nice find!

Jun 10, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #19 of 21
I had one of these Akai CD-A7 cd players, and i have to agree with you that the Bass is outstanding, and overall sounds really good. Just slightly congested in the HF.
I really liked it. Its a jungle of wires inside, but if you unplug and replug the wires linking the top and botom PCB's it will probably come good, and start working again. An indestructable machine! If you want it to sound better, remove the capacitors in the audio path in the output stage.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can carefully try cleaning the lens, but this does mean you have to open the player.
Not to be the bringer of bad news, but if this does not help, fixing this is not an easy or cheap task (if possible at all!)
I have had an old Onkyo top end CD deck fixed:A CD for laser lens cleaning
Replacing the motor for spinning the disc, replacing the laser unit.
It was expensive, and this player had the parts available!
And the tuning of the laser after replacing it was not a task possible if you did not have a set-up made for doing it!
The laserCD unit in my Onkyo was actually the same as in the very first Philips decks available!
That is why the parts was available.
Most decks could only be fixed by replacing the complete CD-unit inside, and would not be worth the expences!
Hope you are lucky with this one!

There are also some CD's that can be used for laser cleaning. They have several small brushes.
Link to someone that tried it: A CD for laser lens cleaning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back