I hope burn-in is just a myth
Jan 25, 2007 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

alrose312

100+ Head-Fier
Hey - I just got my HD580s from Amazon yesterday and...WOW! I love the sound right out of the box - exactly what I've been searching for. I actually hope that these don't change with burn-in because I'm quite satisfied with how they sound right out of the box.

I was also suprised that, at the same volume level, the 300 ohm HD580 sounded LOUDER than my old 50 ohm HD555s did. I guess they are just more sensitive...? Whatever the reason - I'm soooo happy with the HD580s.

Cheers.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 22
I think this depends heavily on the type of headphone that you have.

My DT880s changed a lot for the better after considerable burn in. My A900s, on the other hand, haven't changed a whole lot so far (although I've only logged maybe...40 hours max on these so far). So I think this more depends on th eheadphones. I've never had any of the Sennheisers, so I don't know how they react to burn-in.

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 22
Whether burn in is real or not, I know that the HD580 doesn't change with burn in. My 8 year old 580s had a driver that started rattling. Figured I'd order two new drivers to make sure they'd stay balanced. Well I figured I would first try replacing the rattling driver with a new one, and keep the other old one in. Listened to the headphone, and the new sounded exactly the same as the old. Myth demystified!!!

So keep on enjoying the 580s!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 22
I was a skeptic once, but awhile back my friend bought one of those Audio-Technica IEMs and was complaining to me about the lack of bass. And I was kinda surprised because two other classmates had the same model and I thought they were just fine. Then the next day he let me listen to his, and I was shocked. It was the thinnest sounding thing I ever heard, below even the worst laptop speakers I've ever heard. Now remember I had nothing invested in this. I wasn't expecting anything since it wasn't my earphones. I blamed the lack of seal first, since he was using the smallest size silicon buds, lo and behold a few days later he stopped complaining and said that there was SOME bass now. Here it got interesting because my friend had no knowledge whatsoever of earphones except that iBuds suck and IEMs = good. Naturally I started thinking that wow, if he could tell a difference with no knowledge or opinion on the issue of 'burn in', there has to be something really obvious.

So the next day he brought it to school, same buds and all, and holy hell I experienced my first incidence of 'night and day difference. The previous time I had already tried fitting the things in my ear using all sorts of methods, even pushing it so far in that the buds were in danger of getting stuck there, but even then they sounded horrible. When I tried them again, I didn't even bother to attempt at a perfect seal, just stuck them in straight, and woo. I have to admit, I haven't detected burn-in prior to this. Not with my iBuds, EX51, HJE50, ATH-A700, and countless other ~$50 headphones, zip nada. Not even with the expectation of burn-in effect and the placebo effect that tends to come with it did I detect any changes in those headphones and earphones,

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 22
jmm, yeah I had the same issue with my DT880s. The sound was a bit stuffy at first, and after a bit of burning in they loosened up. After a few nights of pink noise and I'm in heaven on these, haha. I love those headphones, that's for sure (although I like my A900s as well hehe). The DTs improved from burn-in a lot.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even with the expectation of burn-in effect and the placebo effect that tends to come with it did I detect any changes in those headphones and earphones,

This is why I think it is placebo when some swear that certain headphones need 300+ hours of burn in. There's no way of remembering all the subtle details of a headphone past hour 24 IMO! So how can you remember the exact nuances of a headphone after 300 hours of use??
blink.gif

However, I do believe that a few headphones do actually change with burn in. The HD580 series (600 and 650) are not one of these. The only Senn that I've had that actually changed after 20 hours of use was the HD595: details seemed a bit harsh when I first listened to them, but evened out after 20 hours.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 22
Jan 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 22
This is funny because of how differently I thought of it. Just yesterday I was thinking that I liked the idea of breaking in my new headphones. I like the idea of the sound changing over a period of time. Most people who talk about burn-in on this site speak of a rewarding experience, so I don't think the burn-in will yield worse sound. I'm looking forward to listening to my new cans change over a period.

I'm getting a pair of dt770s. Do they have a noticeable burn-in difference?

nrwilk

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 22
There is some truth with regard to the matter of burn-in. I have experienced this with various audio components, especially headphones, loudspeakers, and loudspeaker cables. However, I am skeptical of claims that suggest that extended periods of burn-in are necessary--i.e. the 400 and 500 hours of burn-in seems quite excessive to me.

In the 15 or so years I have been an audiophile, I have yet to experience a notable change beyond the 100 or 120 hour point. Further, I would say that most, if not all, of the changes I have experienced during or after burn-in have been "organic" adjustments--changes that are in keeping with the essential character of the component. Thus, I think if you like the HD580 "out of the box," then you will continue to enjoy this well-regarded headphone.

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 22
I thought I should add: do not underestimate the value and importance of the listener (you) becoming familiar with the sound of the component. As the HD580 breaks in, you will experience something of an education, an education, that is, with regard to the sonic signature of the HD580. Good components usually capture my interest "right out of the box." Some components, however, show worthy characterisitics in the early stages, but then fully excel after a bit of time.

In our "digital age," I have heard of folks being disappointed by the sound of smooth, "analogue sounding" digital gear, or analgoue source equipment (i.e. turntables). As one who listened to records in his teen years, this sounds almost unthinkable. In another respect, though, I think it makes perfect sense. Hence, I think it is always worthwhile to relax and acquiant oneself with a component's sonic signature...and always keep in mind this question: How close does this sound to the real thing--the actual analogue event being portrayed by this component?

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 22
If Burn in was true why does the sound quality never get less with burn in?

Saying they sound great out of the box but get a bit less great sounding after using it for a while?

If that was true you can maybe forget about the getting used to the sound signature effect
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say that most, if not all, of the changes I have experienced during or after burn-in have been "organic" adjustments--changes that are in keeping with the essential character of the component. Thus, I think if you like the HD580 "out of the box," then you will continue to enjoy this well-regarded headphone.

Well said. This is the exact impression that I get from seeing people speak about burn-in around here.
580smile.gif

nrwilk

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 22
Once you reach that 50% life marker with your HD580, it performs the best during the next 1% period. After that, the headphones burn out and its time to buy another one.
wink.gif

Usually if you like the product out of the box, you will like it from there on. I think there is a huge psychological component of burn in if you listen to the headphones continuously while burning it in. But I also believe the physical aspect of burn in is real too.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 22
I honestly never found too much of a difference with my HD600 headphones from burn-in. Some people have reported their Senn's opening up at around the 200 or 300 hour mark though, so I wouldn't be surprised if that happens sometime. Anyway, I really doubt they're going to change for the worse

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 22
Thank you, nrwilk. I think you will find that there is a wealth of good information on Head-Fi...some nice folks, too. I like your avatar's message
smily_headphones1.gif
War is not to be taken lightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back