I heed help picking good headphones under $200
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dubstep nerd

New Head-Fier
So i am looking into buying new headphones, but i am not really sure which ones to get. Right now the one i am leaning to is the ath m50x but i am not sure if it is the right one for me. My music tast is very strange. I listen to hip hop, rock, edm, dubstep, reggae, and some other sub-genres. Basically anything that sounds good to me. Right now i have the grado sr80i, but i need something that i can take outside and does not need an amp. I can't spend more than $200. So are there any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 6
I used to own the m50s and they are great all-rounders, I listen to Techno and they are good but a little bass shy for my tastes. I would definatly go with the m50x over the m50s. Also If you want more bass you could look at the v moda crossfade LP's. If you saved money you could get the Sennheiser urbanites.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 6
The v-moda XS is an amazing headphone. Though it costs $12 over your budget, I'm sure you can get them for cheaper on amazon or ebay. And I'm not joking, I've tried the ATH-M50x on various occasions, and they're great! However their sound stage, portability, durability, and even comfort have limits waaaaayyy under those of the XS. Now don't get me wrong, the M50x isn't uncomfortable, I just can't go back to the audio-technicas after wearing the XS, so don't let the fact that they're circumnaural headphones change your opinion. And in my opinion, even the sound quality is better for the XS! It has a more airy vibe, crisper lyrics, and even though it isn't very audible, the bass is punchier. I hope this helps you decide!

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 6
  The v-moda XS is an amazing headphone. Though it costs $12 over your budget, I'm sure you can get them for cheaper on amazon or ebay. And I'm not joking, I've tried the ATH-M50x on various occasions, and they're great! However their sound stage, portability, durability, and even comfort have limits waaaaayyy under those of the XS. Now don't get me wrong, the M50x isn't uncomfortable, I just can't go back to the audio-technicas after wearing the XS, so don't let the fact that they're circumnaural headphones change your opinion. And in my opinion, even the sound quality is better for the XS! It has a more airy vibe, crisper lyrics, and even though it isn't very audible, the bass is punchier. I hope this helps you decide!

I actually disagree on this. Now assuming the M50X has a similar sound to the M50S, I can say that I preferred the M50S over the XS. I have owned my XS for 3 or 4 days before deciding to return them. The vocals are a bit too forward for my taste and the bass just sounds wrong and uncontrolled. On the other hand, the bass is a lot more controlled on the M50S and the mids are less forward which won't give you fatigue after a listening session (as I did with the XS).

In terms of build, I can also disagree that the durability surpasses the M50(S/X). Though it may be made of plastic, it is a very strong type of plastic which gives a very sturdy and solid feel. The XS on the other hand really had me bothered by its hinges as to me could break any minute. The hinges aren't chunky like the M50(S/X) so I can say that that could be their breaking point if those were to break. I also did not like the sound of the "click fold" mechanism as I found them to be quite loud and to me felt very uneasy to keep folding them up and pulling it back down to have a listen. It just didn't give me the relief that it won't break.

As for comfort, I can agree that the XS is much more comfortable BUT I have switched the stock earpads on my M50S for the HM5 Pads and the comfort is now absolutely amazing. It goes completely around my ear and leaves a lot of space for my ears to breathe and doing so gave a bit more of an "air" to my music. It also changes the sound a bit and for me it was for good but it's all subjective for that part.

I can recommend the M50(S/X) over the XS IF you are only using them for around the house. You can use them on-the-go but you might find them a bit clunky and a bit on the heavier side but that's just my opinion on them.

I can also recommend the M50(S/X) as they aren't really genre specific and doing so it doesn't make one genre of music sound off or terrible (to my ears). 

All in all, you should read and watch reviews, but most importantly, try them out in person if possible before making a purchase as I am just one person with some experience.

NOTE: The XS are a solid choice but I would choose the M50X over the XS in terms of sound, durability, and overall value.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 6
I actually disagree on this. Now assuming the M50X has a similar sound to the M50S, I can say that I preferred the M50S over the XS. I have owned my XS for 3 or 4 days before deciding to return them. The vocals are a bit too forward for my taste and the bass just sounds wrong and uncontrolled. On the other hand, the bass is a lot more controlled on the M50S and the mids are less forward which won't give you fatigue after a listening session (as I did with the XS).

In terms of build, I can also disagree that the durability surpasses the M50(S/X). Though it may be made of plastic, it is a very strong type of plastic which gives a very sturdy and solid feel. The XS on the other hand really had me bothered by its hinges as to me could break any minute. The hinges aren't chunky like the M50(S/X) so I can say that that could be their breaking point if those were to break. I also did not like the sound of the "click fold" mechanism as I found them to be quite loud and to me felt very uneasy to keep folding them up and pulling it back down to have a listen. It just didn't give me the relief that it won't break.

As for comfort, I can agree that the XS is much more comfortable BUT I have switched the stock earpads on my M50S for the HM5 Pads and the comfort is now absolutely amazing. It goes completely around my ear and leaves a lot of space for my ears to breathe and doing so gave a bit more of an "air" to my music. It also changes the sound a bit and for me it was for good but it's all subjective for that part.

I can recommend the M50(S/X) over the XS IF you are only using them for around the house. You can use them on-the-go but you might find them a bit clunky and a bit on the heavier side but that's just my opinion on them.

I can also recommend the M50(S/X) as they aren't really genre specific and doing so it doesn't make one genre of music sound off or terrible (to my ears). 

All in all, you should read and watch reviews, but most importantly, try them out in person if possible before making a purchase as I am just one person with some experience.

NOTE: The XS are a solid choice but I would choose the M50X over the XS in terms of sound, durability, and overall value.

+1 agree with all of this M50x > XS

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Do you like the SR80i? Or do you feel like you need a lot more bass emphasis? Or is it mainly lacking in bass extension? If the latter, consider the Soundmagic HP150. More toward a neutral class of headphones with a bit of bass and treble emphasis. I find my HP150s better overall in every way than my M50s--better bass, mid, and treble quality, better soundstage, better imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back