I heard there is a universe with a similiar solar system like ours.. Does this mean anything?
Aug 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
One day they're going to find a planet where headphones wear people on their headbands and it's going to make things super awkward.

In Soviet Russia...

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #19 of 25
What makes you think that if it's too close to sun, it won't sustain life? Who knows maybe the lifeform on that planet has much much better heat resistance compared to our earth "standard" of what's considered as liveable.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #20 of 25

To be honest, we can leant a lot about sci fi films shows.. The inventer of the cell phone got his idea from Star Trek & their communicating devices.
Quote:
That'll be the day, when we find out about different lifeforms. Anything is possible in that regard. Stuff that comes out of 70s sci-fi movies straight into our lives. Even if they are far far far away they are close. Imagine that. Personally, I think at first we will be pretty hysteric about it when news about new found life will be brought to us. No longer we are ''alone''. Kinda creepy huh?

The size of the universe is just beyond comprehension. It cannot be that there is no other life. In a fantastic NGC documentary ''Journey to the Edge of the Universe'' they pass a planet ''just like ours'' but lifeless. The narrator then tells that it could have contained life a long long time ago. And when he says long, it might be millions of years ago. That's just unbelievably fascinating.

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 25
It means there is this funny spaceship at the center of galaxy who sells timeshare. Play the game spore and see what I mean.

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
What makes you think that if it's too close to sun, it won't sustain life? Who knows maybe the lifeform on that planet has much much better heat resistance compared to our earth "standard" of what's considered as liveable.

It's not so much heat resistance of potential, more like 'the atmosphere has been boiled off of this planet.' 

Aug 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:

I had the same thought, and I guess it's true that we can't make any assumptions about what form life could take elsewhere. Even on Earth there are some lifeforms that thrive in extreme circumstances. Bacteria that can live at the mouth of undersea geothermal vents, cockroaches that breed in steelmills, who knows what else that we haven't even discovered yet. 

But we do know a few things about Earth's circumstances that seem to be very conducive to life: namely the presence of liquid water and all the water-soluble chemistry that makes possible. Water is liquid at such a narrow temperature range. And it's also possible that these are the only circumstances under which life can form. You never want to say never, but if you consider all the evidence we have so far...

Aug 30, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #24 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back