I have to buy a Windows computer, Ugh!
Sep 25, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #31 of 38
Well it seems we have things running better now.
Got rid of IE and am using Firefox instead, much better.

This laptop is accessing the internet through a Linksys wireless router that is connected to the desk top computer.
The trick now is to get the laptop to use the printer that is connected to the desktop.

I turned on everything on the desktop Mac to allow access (that was easy of course
biggrin.gif
)
On the laptop I downloaded the printer drivers, and went to add the printer.
It saw my desktop printer in the list and asked me to give it a name.
No matter what I tried to name it, it would not accept the name.
The "help" files were no help a all.
What is the secret magic code word to make the printer work? (is it Bill Gates?)

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #32 of 38
The name should be dicated by the computer the printer is attached to. You add a network printer, browse to the one on the said desktop computer, and it should show up with the name it is shared as.

However, I don't know what other hurdles you may have, there, since you're going in an uncommon direction (typically, the printer is shared from a Windows-running PC, and the Samba/CUPS PC must connect to that, not Windows to Samba+CUPS/whatever-OS X's-own-printing-system-that-isn't-CUPS-is-called).

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
My son is taking some online classes and the lessons come on CDROM that are Windows only programs.

This is painful for a lifetime Mac user, but I am looking for a basic laptop (to save space) for him to use.
The computer needs to be reliable, but cheap. Also needs to be able to either wirelessly connect to the internet (I have a Linksys router) or at least an Ethernet port so I can hardwire him in.

What are the system requirements?
Pentium III processor, Windows XP Pro (preferred), Windows 2000, Windows ME, or WIN 98 Second Edition Operating System, 256 MB of memory, 200 MB of Hard disk space, 800 x 600 or higher resolution monitor, 16 bit color, CD-ROM drive, and 10/100 MHz Ethernet network interface card.
Seems like it's not requiring anything too new or expensive.

So, any suggestions for a good used computer seller, or possibly something new from Worst Buys that won't crap out after a month or two?
TR

If this is all you really need the windows pc for you could probably try out a virtual machine. VM-Ware Server is free now and runs on linux,MAC, and windows (let's you run other operating systems on other platforms). You set aside some space on your hard drive and install windows using vmware and it installs normally and works like windows usually does.

http://www.vmware.com/

I use it to run a few windows programs in linux and someone at my work has a macbook and uses it to run windows programs.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:10 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
The name should be dicated by the computer the printer is attached to. You add a network printer, browse to the one on the said desktop computer, and it should show up with the name it is shared as.

Yes, that's what I did & saw.
The problem is it's asking me to give it a name. I can't leave the name blank, and it won't accept any name I put in the name field. That is my problem.

Sep 25, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallstreet
If this is all you really need the windows pc for you could probably try out a virtual machine. VM-Ware Server is free now and runs on linux,MAC, and windows (let's you run other operating systems on other platforms). You set aside some space on your hard drive and install windows using vmware and it installs normally and works like windows usually does.

http://www.vmware.com/

I use it to run a few windows programs in linux and someone at my work has a macbook and uses it to run windows programs.

Oh, now he tells me after I already bought a computer.
Thanks, I'll try it out and if it works I think I have 15 days to return it.

Sep 25, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Yes, that's what I did & saw.
The problem is it's asking me to give it a name. I can't leave the name blank, and it won't accept any name I put in the name field. That is my problem.

Where is it wanting a name--exactly?

Sep 25, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie
Where is it wanting a name--exactly?

When it gets to the list of the available printers (using the wizzard) you select the one you want, then there is a field above the your selection that needs filled in.
I'll send you a screen shot tonight when I get home (surfing at work right now).
TR

Sep 25, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

When it gets to the list of the available printers (using the wizzard) you select the one you want, then there is a field above the your selection that needs filled in.
I'll send you a screen shot tonight when I get home (surfing at work right now).
TR

Well, you could just type in the assigned IP address, but it's a lot easier to remember "Bob" vs. "192.168.2.99."
wink.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back