I have to ask a dumb question?
Jan 18, 2006 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kraco

Head-Fier
I hate to ask this because it seems like a stupid question, but I don't know the answer to it so I have too ask?
smily_headphones1.gif

Are audio cables and splitters directional? I've seen a few cables with little arrows on them to indicate just that, but then most cables don't have any markings. So are cables by design meant to work in one direction for best performance?

Dumb question #2: Are audio and video cables the same? Can I use a video cable in an audio setup? Sorry, I'll stop now!

R.T.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 4
nah, the music flows both ways.

normal audio cable has very low ohms. unless its coaxial (digital) which is 75ohms. video cables are different than audio cable. i dont know the exact spec, but they have high ohms and frequency. someone can fill me in on this, or you can just google for the spec.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
nah, the music flows both ways.

normal audio cable has very low ohms. unless its coaxial (digital) which is 75ohms. video cables are different than audio cable. i dont know the exact spec, but they have high ohms and frequency. someone can fill me in on this, or you can just google for the spec.

OK thanks! I knew it would work either way, just didn't know why a few of my cables had arrows on them. Oh well, must mean something but I guess it's not important. lol Thanks for the info!

R.T.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 4
some audio cables most certainly are directional. The ground is only attached at one end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back