I have strange ears (pics included for your enjoyment :) ) so I need super deep ear cups. Any recomendations?
Oct 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

leetpuma

New Head-Fier
I am looking for over ear/ Closed headphones.

So my ears are 1.2inches / 30mm TALL off the surface of my head.
The red box I drew below is 1.2in/30mm Tall.

Image is at:  (Sorry did not have board image posting permissions)
http://imgur.com/d2duNox

So because of this I have always hated over ear anything. And would always get those cheap 15$ hook based earphones...

Looking at all the knowledge here their may be someone that knows what would help me.

I truthfully care a ton more about comfort than sound quality. So i was thinking a Bose AE2 would be a good first try. Trying them on instore they seemed to fit okay. Light touching but not painful in a 3-5 min demo. So I have seriously been looking to buy these.

So does anyone know of headphones with deeper and larger cups then an Bose AE2? (I can probably go up to $500 but would perfer to be in the $200 range... But any suggestion is good)

Thanks!!!

Leetpuma

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 14
A Beyerdynamic DT770 would be a good option, they have pretty large cups and pads that go around your ear. I personally wasn't a fan of the fit of the Bose AE2 when I had them, the cups were too damn small. You would likely need a small amp to power the DT770 though.

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 14
  A Beyerdynamic DT770 would be a good option, they have pretty large cups and pads that go around your ear. I personally wasn't a fan of the fit of the Bose AE2 when I had them, the cups were too damn small. You would likely need a small amp to power the DT770 though.

Thanks for the input that really helps!

How much sound do they leak? Could they be used in a cubical work environment?

What Ohm value would you suggest 250Ohms or 80Ohms?

Any recommendations that I should get for amp? What power would the amp need to be to drive headphones at 250 and at 80? (Or point me to an AMP guide :) Ive never dealt with amps )

(I hate that they dont have an detachable cable so ill have to do some soldering work... But thats not a huge problem.)

(I will try to find this headphone in a brick and mortar store intown so I can test drive it a bit.)

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 14
The 80 ohm version is the bassiest, the 250 ohm is a bit more neutral. They isolate sound very well, they're a closed back headphone. 

I didn't like that they didn't have a detachable cable either, so I've done some modding on a couple pairs myself.

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 14
That was a insanely fast reply!!!

Looking good so I may have to get these in the end.
And hope for the best :) (Since ill probably have to buy without trying them. But they def look larger than the bose so that is a big plus)

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 14
For someone who is a new to sound. (The nicest pair Ive owned was the Koss KSC75... )
I listen to music from nearly every genere. (Classicsal to Rap)

Do you think I would like the 250Ohm flat sound Or the 80 Ohm bass? (I am thinking the 250 would probably more correct for my all around listening taste.)

How much of a pain is a portable amp if I am listing to things on an small mp3 player/phone? (Are there some really nice amps that make the portable part painless?)
(I would perfer to not have to use an amp everywhere I go and have to recharge the thing daily.)

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #7 of 14
I use a Fiio E12 with my HTC One and it isn't that bad. The bigger ones come with rubber band straps to attach the amp right to your phone/device. 

I personally enjoyed the 80 ohm over the 250 oh versions I've listened to, more flavored sound. But if you want to play it safe, go with the 250 ohm.  

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 14
  I use a Fiio E12 with my HTC One and it isn't that bad. The bigger ones come with rubber band straps to attach the amp right to your phone/device. 

I personally enjoyed the 80 ohm over the 250 oh versions I've listened to, more flavored sound. But if you want to play it safe, go with the 250 ohm.  

Hmm. I guess maybe ill go ahead and get the 80 ohm version then. (ill get a small amp for desktop listening)
It will be nice to every now and then go lift weights at the gym and not have to drag the whole amping system around.

Two more questions

1) I have heard there different versions of the 80Ohm BT770 (Pro, regular, and M i think)
I have heard some have more clamping force on the head. Is this true? Which one is less? (Which is more comfy for long listening sessions)

2) In general do you think were you able to enjoy non-bass tracks (treble-heavy/classical) with the 80 ohm? (I am not looking for optimal hearing. Just decent enough to listen to.)

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #9 of 14
They don't make the Premium version anymore, just the pro and M. I haven't heard anything good about the M version (used for portable use) so I went with the 80 ohm. The velour pads on them are extremely comfy, even if the clamp was hard it would still be comfortable. I was never bothered by the clamp.

The DT770 has a V-shaped signature, so even tracks with a lot of treble were enjoyable. The 80 ohm isn't a basshead headphone all the time, it just delivers good bass when the tracks call for it.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #13 of 14
Some time ago I was looking for similar deep headphones. I tried Sennheiser HD600/650 - super shallow, AKG K701 - painful head strap and Audiotechnica ATH AD900X which I kept. These Audiotechnicas have angled drivers covered with a fabric. The fabric is straight so it is touching the ear but underneath it there is a room made by the driver which is angled, so the ear does not touch anything solid, just that fabric which is pretty soft on the skin.

I have been using these for a while now and am really happy with them. They need to have a "rubber band" mod to fit well on my head but that is no problem.

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #14 of 14
I am looking for over ear/ Closed headphones.
So my ears are 1.2inches / 30mm TALL off the surface of my head.
The red box I drew below is 1.2in/30mm Tall.

Look into the Beyer T5P. It has an offset angle to the drivers that simulates speaker toe-in angle, making the drivers run more parallel to your ears and leaving more space to fit the earlobes towards the rear of the cups.
6705178.jpg

Audeze LCD-XC also has asymmetrical earpads that kind of do the same thing...
XC-4_edited-1.jpg

...however Audeze earpads have a smaller rectangular opening for the earlobes.
Audeze_LCD2LCD3_Photo_earpieces.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back