i Have STAX amp ?
Apr 16, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ericpwiseguy

Head-Fier
I have a new SRM 600 Limited amp..paired with my new 404 LE phones. My question is should I leave the amp on all the time..Or is it preferable to leave it off when away.

thanks Eric

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 13
MGXQLZXQJTWV4WU2QSL4AG33ASQM6NIH.jpg

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 13
Do you care about your electrcity bill? If not, leave it on. If you do, turn it on when you want to listen. If you turn it on and off, discharge the bias from the headphones beween uses.

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you care about your electrcity bill? If not, leave it on. If you do, turn it on when you want to listen. If you turn it on and off, discharge the bias from the headphones beween uses.

What Duggeh says, also to preserve the life of your tubes.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you turn it on and off, discharge the bias from the headphones beween uses.

Eh? Could you elaborate please? I've never felt the need to do anything like this in my 6+ years of Stax ownership.

ericpwiseguy, I don't think you'll get consensus on your question - similar questions have been asked many times. Some, including me, will say that a long warm up time will get that last ounce of improvement in sound quality. Many will say that's nonsense and just switch it off whenever not listening - to save on tubes, electricity and amp life.

A good balance is to keep it switched on during heavy listening periods, say the weekend, but at other times just switch it on an hour or so before listening.

PS.Congratulations on your purchase.

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAttorney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh? Could you elaborate please? I've never felt the need to do anything like this in my 6+ years of Stax ownership.

Unplug the earspeakers then stick your fingers across the pins to discharge them
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks guys...on a hilarious note anyone who spends 2,000 on a head fi setup and is asked If they want to save on their electric bill....is too funny...if you think that matters to your bill....your kidding yourself.....a hahaha...thanks guys for the answers.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericpwiseguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys...on a hilarious note anyone who spends 2,000 on a head fi setup and is asked If they want to save on their electric bill....is too funny...if you think that matters to your bill....your kidding yourself.....a hahaha...thanks guys for the answers.

Well some of us care about the environment.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Leave it ON!
That way it is always warmed up ready for use. Make sure it is well ventilated though.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unplug the earspeakers then stick your fingers across the pins to discharge them
wink.gif

Yes, but I was really after why that's necessary. For example, does it prevent some form of switch-on stress, or improve sound quality, or does it extend the life of the phones in some way?

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #13 of 13
you really don't need to leave it on all the time...
i don't know what caps you have in the amp but usually they are good for 10000 hours and degrade with time like the other components in the amp.
If the tubes fail maybe some components will be stressed.
You can burn your house down too.Just switch it on 20-30 min before listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back