I have some basic questions about the 4g and 5g ipods
Sep 14, 2006 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aaroncort

Banned
I'm thinking about jumping on one of those 60gb 5g refubished ipod videos that are so cheep right now. I have way more than 40GB of music and wouldn't mind have more than 6 hours of battery life. Plus all apple referbs come with a year warenty for nothing. I currently have a 40gb 4g and am wondering about a few things. Will my old 4g firewire charger work with the 5g? Will my turbodock II work with the 5g?

P.S. does anybody know what apple does to thier referbs? For example do they swap out the battery and put on new casing? Apple batteries are problematic and I don't want a lemon on my hands right when the warrenty runs out.

P.P.S Sorry I know there are better places to ask some of these questions but I'm much more comfortable here at head-fi. It's the only tech type forum I belong to.

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 7
The turbodock should still be compatible, but I'm not sure on the other things. I don't think that the 5g supports firewire for file transfer so it might be the same case for charging.

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Will my old 4g firewire charger work with the 5g?

YES - On 4th gen iPods firewire to dock connection was standard. On 5th gen iPods USB to dock connection is standard. You must have the dock connection to connect to the iPod. Your iPod does not care what connection is on the other end (USB or Firewire).

Quote:

Will my turbodock II work with the 5g?

I believe YES - The dock connection for the 4th and 5th generation are the same (see above answer). The only question is the size of the slot and not the connection. The 4th and 5th are the same size, but the 5th is thinner so it should fit

Quote:

does anybody know what apple does to thier referbs? For example do they swap out the battery and put on new casing? Apple batteries are problematic and I don't want a lemon on my hands right when the warrenty runs out.

I have never purchased a referb. From what I have read on this and other site (read the thread about referbs that is currently posted) the battery is replaced and the front and back covers are replaced. All but one person said the referb looked brand new.

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 7
wow thanks for that doctor. Now I have to pick one up.... At least they're cheap! one question though.

"YES - On 4th gen iPods firewire to dock connection was standard. On 5th gen iPods USB to dock connection is standard. You must have the dock connection to connect to the iPod. Your iPod does not care what connection is on the other end (USB or Firewire)."

I don't have a dock just a firewire cable that connects to an apple wallwart via firewire then to the proprietary (SP?) ipod jack at the bottom of my ipod. do i need a dock or will the cable work?

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

I don't have a dock just a firewire cable that connects to an apple wallwart via firewire then to the proprietary (SP?) ipod jack at the bottom of my ipod. do i need a dock or will the cable work?

The "dock" is a piece of hardware that support the iPod in an upright positon.

Take a hammer. Take a firewire plug. Take hammer to firewire plug. This is what a "dock connection" (thinner and longer than the Firewire plug) looks like (I think your calling this the SP).

Plug the firewire cable into the wallwart and your SP (dock connection) into the iPod and your good to go

One last thing, the 60 gig iPods (old 5th generation) are now on sale for $299.00.

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Even better than $299 are the refurb 5g's, $179 for the 30 gig and $229 for the 60.

And I don't know what I was thinking of with the firewire... Hmm. Coulda sworn I read that somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back