I have plugged my headphones into my soundcard. What more should I do to get the most out of my headphones?
Aug 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hobsten

New Head-Fier
I've attached the Essence STX soundcard to the motherboard and plugged my HD650's into it. I've also selected Hi-Fi from the DSP modes on the soundcard because I feel that mode gives the best sound for music. The sound is good and all, but is there something I've forgot doing? I'm sure it is. I read somewhere that one should turn windows 7 into using stereo or something. I don't know how though. Is there more?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I've attached the Essence STX soundcard to the motherboard and plugged my HD650's into it. I've also selected Hi-Fi from the DSP modes on the sound card because I feel that mode gives the best sound for music. The sound is good and all, but is there something I've forgot doing? I'm sure it is. I read somewhere that one should turn windows 7 into using stereo or something. I don't know how though. Is there more?

When listening to music, do you set Audio Channel to 2-channel?
Have you set the gain for mid level 62-300 Ohm or high 300-600 Ohm?
Did you disabled the motherboard's built in audio, in the BIOS?
Maybe try the third party "Unified Xonar Drivers"?
Burn all your music CDs to FLAC?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
When listening to music, do you set Audio Channel to 2-channel?
Have you set the gain for mid level 62-300 Ohm or high 300-600 Ohm?
Did you disabled the motherboard's built in audio, in the BIOS?
Maybe try the third party "Unified Xonar Drivers"?
Burn all your music CDs to FLAC?

- I'm not sure where can I change/check this?
- High Gain +12dB for 64~300ohm
- I have not. Will it make a difference?
- What does those do?
- I listen to music through spotify/youtube etc.

Thanks for the reply!

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
- I'm not sure where can I change/check this?
- High Gain +12dB for 64~300ohm
- I have not. Will it make a difference?
- What does those do?
- I listen to music through spotify/youtube etc.

Thanks for the reply!

Audio Channel is in the Xonar Control panel (check manual).
I would assume High gain is good enough.
Some people do use more then one sound card in a PC, but it easier to only have one function sound card,
most people usually disable on-board audio when adding a sound card.
"Unified Xonar Drivers" disable some features that are normally automatically enabled, hopefully proving a cleaner audio signal.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 9
I saw this other dude who could change the audio channels in the main Xonar Control panel. However I don't get that option http://i.imgur.com/OgyCIJx.png . Worth to mention is that I use the Headphone Out Port and I don't have an amp. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I saw this other dude who could change the audio channels in the main Xonar Control panel. However I don't get that option http://i.imgur.com/OgyCIJx.png . Worth to mention is that I use the Headphone Out Port and I don't have an amp. 

Looks like your missing "Audio Channel" from the control panel.T
Try installing Unified Xonar Drivers.

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Looks like your missing "Audio Channel" from the control panel.T
Try installing Unified Xonar Drivers.

Disabled on-board audio, downloaded Unified Xonar Drivers, set audio channels to 2 and kept the impedance at 64~300ohm. Thanks for the help! I use the Headphone Out Port and I think that is correct?

Aug 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
Disabled on-board audio, downloaded Unified Xonar Drivers, set audio channels to 2 and kept the impedance at 64~300ohm. Thanks for the help! I use the Headphone Out Port and I think that is correct?

Sounds like you have everything correct,
yes, use headphone port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back