I have now had two extension cables fail me, any ideas?
Jul 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

btsgreg

Head-Fier
I had used the same extension cable (which leads to my PC's tower) for quite a while, until the the cable would no longer feed the left channel. Plugging the headphones directly into my PC worked fine, and I determined the cable was the problem doing a couple other tests.

No big deal. I ordered a new one and it worked fine for about a month. Now a similar problem is occurring where the cable isn't sending audio to the right channel, and after that it stopped working completely. Again, plugging the headphones directly into the port works fine.

Is this just a coincidence, or is there a problem with my PCs audio port...?

Thanks in advance.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 4
How much wear do you put on the cable (twisting, unplugging, etc.)?

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 4
Sounds like you could be crimping and stretching the cables on many different levels from wrapping them around your fist to plugging them in and out on a regular basis.

Pulling on the cable plug a lot could mess with either the integrity of the solder at the plug end or could stress internal wiring, which would show up as a messed up channel connection.

They really don't get too much wear, nothing out of the ordinary.

FWIW, my cables just sit there on the computer table (except when they get run over by the keyboard drawer and there's no plugging in and out on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back