I have mp3 collection, i want to get higher "better" music files and my first DAC or Portable Amp/Dac
Sep 30, 2015 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Caguioa

100+ Head-Fier
what kind do i need? or u guys recommend?

right now i plan on getting high end headphone and i have alot of mp3's.

some are 128 kbps and i heard i need 256kbps and 320 kbps mp3?
but if i want something better what else r wat files i need?

and what dap do u recommend i would need? i want to future proof my purchase,
or do i need an portable amp/dac because i want to use it for anythign audio related on my laptop,tablet,iphone.

thanks

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 12
What is your budget and usually musical tastes.. In addition, what do you feel comfortable with (Over the ear, in-ear headphones)
In general, I recommend the Fiio X3 2nd gen as the player or the iBasso DX-50. They are roughly the same price and arguably similar audio quality.
As for the Headphones.. I'm going to stay quiet until I hear a response back pertaining your preference (On-Ear, In-Ear)

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 12
what kind do i need? or u guys recommend?
right now i plan on getting high end headphone and i have alot of mp3's.
some are 128 kbps and i heard i need 256kbps and 320 kbps mp3?
but if i want something better what else r wat files i need?
and what dap do u recommend i would need? i want to future proof my purchase,
or do i need an portable amp/dac because i want to use it for anything audio related on my laptop,tablet,iPhone.

Might help if you list a budget?

Check out the FiiO X3 Gen II ($200) can be used as a DAP or connected to a computer (Mac or PC) and used as an external DAC/amp.
256K or 320K mp3 files is a nice middle ground for music audio files, FLAC files will take up more storage space and might not sound much, if any, better then a 256K or 320K music file, to your ears.

Audio-CD music files are 16-bit/44.1K, some people feel that ripping music audio from a CD and making the file higher then 16-bit/44.1K improves the audio.
But I think 16-bit/44.1K music files are fine.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 12

Check out the FiiO X3 Gen II ($200) can be used as a DAP or connected to a computer (Mac or PC) and used as an external DAC/amp.
256K or 320K mp3 files is a nice middle ground for music audio files, FLAC files will take up more storage space and might not sound much, if any, better then a 256K or 320K music file, to your ears.

Audio-CD music files are 16-bit/44.1K, some people feel that ripping music audio from a CD and making the file higher then 16-bit/44.1K improves the audio.

well is there some really good ones or nice ones like fiio x3 gen 2 around budget of 300-500 i can spend 600+ but it would have to be really good, if anything, a list would be good.

something with aliot of storage and like userface similar to iphone music,ipod classic etc

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 12
A Fiio X3 is a really good DAP. Save the rest of your budget toward better headphones :)

What headphones do you have right now?

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 12

well is there some really good ones or nice ones like FiiO X3 gen 2 around budget of 300-500 i can spend 600+ but it would have to be really good, if anything, a list would be good.
something with a lot of storage and like userface similar to iPhone music, iPod classic etc

If you want an interface like an iPod, then you need to buy an iPod.
But my two cents is the FiiO will offer better audio quality, for the same amount of cash you would pay for an iPod.

If you willing to spend $300-$500 for a DAP, then you should do better then the $200 FiiO X3 Gen II.
but I really do spend much time reading up on $300-$500 DAPs, so not sure what to recommend, but at least check out the FiiO X5 and new X7.

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 12

If you want an interface like an iPod, then you need to buy an iPod.
But my two cents is the FiiO will offer better audio quality, for the same amount of cash you would pay for an iPod.

If you willing to spend $300-$500 for a DAP, then you should do better then the $200 FiiO X3 Gen II.
but I really do spend much time reading up on $300-$500 DAPs, so not sure what to recommend, but at least check out the FiiO X5 and new X7.

well i alread have an iphone 6 and ipod classic, was thinking if i should get a dap or dap/amp for m ipod,phone and tablet to use it on all of them and on my laptop

how good are x5 vs the new x7?

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 12
If you already have the iPhone 6, I would concentrate on a portable amp, as the iPhone already has a really good Sound Processor in it, I recommend using the Onkyo HF Player. In addition, use the rest of your budget on a really good pair of Headphones that you prefer, once again, depending on whether you want On-Ear or In-Ear..
Yes you can get better SQ from a dedicated player, however, if you're already comfortable with the UI of the Apple products, then I wouldn't bother switching as I stated before, the iPhone 6 has a really good Audio processor built in.. I have one so I know what it's capable of even without an external amp.
By the way, forgot to mention, the Fiio X5 2nd generation is great, at $350 you're going to get a noticeable SQ difference over the iPhone. In addition, it will have enough power (For Most Headphones especially In-Ears) by itself saving you from having to buy an external Portal Amp.
I haven't used the X7 so I can't add my 2 cents on it, but supposed to be very good. But price point might become the issue.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 12
well i alread have an iphone 6 and ipod classic, was thinking if i should get a dap or dap/amp for m ipod,phone and tablet to use it on all of them and on my laptop

Both your iPhone and your iPod are very good audio devices and an upgrade to them may provide minimal sound improvement.

It would really help to know what make/model of headphones you have or are looking to buy soon to be able to advise you well on this.

Oct 1, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 12
Both your iPhone and your iPod are very good audio devices and an upgrade to them may provide minimal sound improvement.

It would really help to know what make/model of headphones you have or are looking to buy soon to be able to advise you well on this.

well right now im thinking of getting iem and full headphone
so fatr on my list i have ie 800 and hd 800 on my list to buy,

and as for my budget ill prob wait out for x7, as ill use my iphone 6 for now.

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Can you tell us or give us some examples of the kind of music you like? Also, what type of headphones do you like? On ear, over ear, in ear? Do you need good isolation? I agree with most that a DAP shouldn't be your priority as much as a good set of phones and possibly an amp. As a current recommendation for an Amp/DAC, Fiio just released the q1. Its a decent Amp/DAC that should power MOST decent headphones. But to be sure you need to know what phones you want. Give us some ideas on what kind of music you like and your headphone preference, as well as an ideal budget and we'll give you some ideas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back