I have got new AKG K501 and new problem
Jun 7, 2002 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Risa

New Head-Fier
Bit of a background first. I have sold my HD580. Not that they were bad (more likely the opposite - the best sounding headphones I ever had), but I thought they did not sound to my expectation. I do not want ot start flame here about Sennheisers being veiled or not. I had decided even before that that if I sold HD580 I try K501 first and if K501 won't fit I will end up with HD600, since I feel I might appreciate them even that they sound veiled
wink.gif
So I got new K501 yesterday (new is probably not the exactly descriptive adjective since they were dusted as if they were sitting somewhere for quite a long time) and accidentally, they - literally - did not fit.
The headband is too short, or my head is too big
confused.gif
. If the headband was the same as the frame, they will do perfect match, unfortunately, the headband is 1 or 2 centimeters shorter than the frame. I did not have any problem either with HD580 or my good old Sony MDR-CD470 so I did not expect that may happen. (Though I am aware that my head is not exactly the standard, mainly because I have ears a bit low.)
Anyway, after certain time and (unsuccessful) effort to stretch the headband or pull the breakers on the frame up a bit I put them on.
They seem less comfortable than Senns as well as less stable (not to speak about the problem with the size). I figured out that either I shift the headband breakers up (Does anybody know how or have tried it?) or cut the headband apart and paste in some filling, because sonically I found them satisfying.
Any better ideas?

Jun 7, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 6
Hmm, for some reason the words "jig" and "vice" come to mind... But that may give you a pretty awful headache.

The 501s aren't nearly as comfy as the Senns, shame too cuz it's a good pair of cans.

Though I disagree with you about the Senns I do understand what you mean and I totally think you'll really dig the 501s.

One thing you might consider doing (or having done) is cutting the pleather headband at the center and sew-in about an inch of Canvas.

OR you could do away with the headband altogether and replace it with a strip of longer canvas or something. This deosn't look too difficulkt as the piece that holds the headband on looks like it's just screwed together. Honestly, this is the route I would go if I were you.

It doesn;t look like the 'stoppers' for the headband are gonna budge without some serious damage.

Jun 7, 2002 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
... But that may give you a pretty awful headache.

The 501s aren't nearly as comfy as the Senns, shame too cuz it's a good pair of cans

I find the 501 much lighter and more comfortable that the HD600. I sometimes can forget I am wearing the 501. I am always aware of the HD600. THe pads of the HD600 are softer though.

Sorry if I can't add anything helpful Risa but I am not sure what the problem is with the fit. I can't quite get a bead on what the exact problem is.

Jun 7, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 6
I have the exact opposite with the 501s vs 600s... I find I'm always aware of the 501s but the 600s fade away to nothing (except the stiff clou red).

Jun 7, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Nezer: Thanks for the tip, I have (thinking about using brute force )
frown.gif
not noticed the little screws. Replacing the whole headband seems like the good idea now, though I will miss the aesthetics of AKG leather
smily_headphones1.gif
. The "stoppers" really hold fast, I rather would not dare hassle with them.

Beagle: Problem is that my ears are a bit low compared to AKG standards and even if I completely pull the headband out it is still not enough (i.e. the cushions press my outer ear from bottom and fully stretched headband presses my head from the top
smily_headphones1.gif
). I do not need much, just ease it for another 1 or 2 centimeters, but I still feel I need it (and probably ease it even more just to relieve from the pressure).

Concerning the comfort: HD580 were a bit tight initially, but after applying some force to metal plates they became very comortable and I felt asleep several times with them on. From very first impression K501 seem much harder (both the cushions and the pressure) and even they seem lighter than HD580 I still feel them less safe on my head than Senns were.
From the other side, I have an impression about K501 from the way they look and feel that they could withstand much more and are more robust. The cable is thicker (I was always very carefull about Sennheiser cable) and overall plastics seems quite durable. Only the strings that secure the headband looks very tiny and I am afraid won't last for long.

Nezer: I did direct comparison between HD580 and HD600 a came to conclusion that there is a difference between them and if I should decide again I would go probably for HD600 instead. Probably I would go for them anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
Currently I am running K501 from CORDA HA-1 which, I believe, should power them to full potential.

Jun 7, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes, the Corda will push the 501s to thier potential.

I have to wonder though, you found the Senn sound veiled... With the stock cable...

If I were you I would seriously consider HD600s with either the Equinox or Cardas cable. It's really amazing the difference the cable makes. That may push you over to team Senn... Of course it's not cheap (but what here is?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back