I have found my sound and to celebrate…….
Jan 22, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #211 of 232
congrats... make sure to review that new amp of yours
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #213 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrikane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse the delay, Imageshack is a bit slow on the uptake tonight.
Names in a box:

You can see my name! w00t! That's as good as a win in my book
tongue.gif
. Jk, I'm amazed at all the generosity that I've seen coming from Afrikane.

Afrikane: Head-Fier of the year +1
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #217 of 232
saint.panda! wow! For the record, the only reason I entered was because if I got randomly selected, I was going to subjectively select someone else to be the recipient, and incidentally, saint.panda was one of the two on my list! Congrats to saint.panda, but even bigger kudos to Afrikane this time - what a prize package! You truly rock! And it's great to hear you've found your sound too.
biggrin.gif

I'm also glad the prize package is going to someone in a 220-240V country.
tongue.gif
(Not sure I understand why so many U.S./Canada Head-Fiers decided to enter.)

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #219 of 232
Congrats on the new gems -- and on the wonderfully dizzying surprise of winning!!!

Listen in good health.

Jan 22, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #220 of 232
Nooooooo, I thought I had a great chance (about 1 in 200, but never mind).
tongue.gif

Congratulations to saint.panda. Hope you enjoy the new rig.
biggrin.gif

One more thing: Kudos to Afrikane for starting yet another give-away thread.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #223 of 232
The Ear++ III arrived today and the amp looks absolutely stunning. Not the modern/chrome/sleek type of stunning but in a more natural and mature sense: a wonderful combination of black wood with a VW beetle yellow metal cover and a beautiful Mapletree logo on top. This is the prettiest headphone amp I've ever seen. My old Headcode was pretty, too, but in a more industrial and geeky way. Plus, the size is just right.

So how does it sound? Very good. The soundstage might not be as wide as the Hd 650/Equinox directly fed from the Apogee's XLR out but the Ear++ has the usual tube qualities: sweet tone and a slightly wet touch. And bass slam is better than from the Apogee's line out. The Ear++ is not overly lush, which is good. Transparency and resolution and pretty good, too. I think I'm going to use the Mapleetree a lot with my jazz, classical chamber music and pop collection where things like soundstage, dynamic range or ultimate frequency extension are less important than a pretty tone and soothing warmth. But despite being a tube amp, I don't think the sound is too sirupy or thick like my old Mg Head OTL MKII used to be. I'm looking forward to some tube rolling. Overall, I think this is better than the EMP I had for a short while, more open and defined. Last but not least, the Ear++ III has four inputs, 4 gain settings (mute, 5, 10, 25), a preamp out and it's is going to be a collector's time since Mapletree stopped producing this particular model.
biggrin.gif

Again, my biggest thanks to afrikane for his amazing generosity!

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #225 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Decemberists -- The Crane Wife

EDIT: Whoops didn't look at the date.

LOL
biggrin.gif

Made me wonder why this was suddenly back at the top...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back