I have found my HFI-780 to be a bit mid recessed.....should I do a recabling or get a new cans?
Mar 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

niaboctruk

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am current pairing my HFI-780 with the Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC/AMP. I mainly listen to melodic death metal, power metal and some progressive metal (children of bodom, fleshgod apocalypse, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater). Tonight I have played around with the iTunes Equalizer just for fun and I have found that I quite like the sound produced by the "Vocal Booster". The bass is reduced a little and the vocal is definitely strengthen and can finally hit the sweet spot. Now I understand why people say the 780 is mid recessed and now I can't "unhear" the deficit in the mid range.

Since the equalizer makes the music a bit unbalanced and loses some dynamics, I am looking for a better way to solve the problem. Is there any good quality software equalizer that I can use within windows or osx? (Im now using iTunes -> Bit Perfect for osx -> HUD-Mx1 ->780) OR I should do a recabling for my headphone? OR should I get another cans? (I have compared the frequency response curves of 780 and sr325is but I have found that sr325is has higher response for high frequency but not the mid range so it may not solve the problem, am I correct?)

thanks.

Mar 31, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Recabling, despite what half of head-fi will tell you, doesn't make an audible and measurable difference. I just use Electri-q equaliser in foobar and I don't feel like I'm losing any dynamics.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
Recabling, despite what half of head-fi will tell you, doesn't make an audible and measurable difference. I just use Electri-q equaliser in foobar and I don't feel like I'm losing any dynamics.

Eh it makes a difference in higher-end cans. Heck almost everything makes a sonic difference in high-end headphones simply because they are so detailed that you notice very small changes in signature. Entry-level cans like HFI-780 won't be relevant though.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 12
If you like how it sounds equalized, then by all means EQ it. For metal I like V-shaped sound signatures better than anything else, so I'd hold off on the Grados until you get a chance to try them out. I don't like my HFI-580's very much without EQ, but with it I love them. I use Linux so I can't recommend you an equalizer, but I'm sure there is plenty of free software out there. You might as well try it before you go buying anything. What do you have to lose?

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

Well, then I will probably give up the option of recabling. And I have a question about foobar, my music files are mostly ripped in Apple lossless and when I map my iTunes library in foobar, foobar seems to have difficulty recognizing tracks in such format, It gives me troubles migrating from iTunes to foobar. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote:
Eh it makes a difference in higher-end cans. Heck almost everything makes a sonic difference in high-end headphones simply because they are so detailed that you notice very small changes in signature. Entry-level cans like HFI-780 won't be relevant though.

well, again, I think I will give up thinking about recabling then. Thanks.

Quote:
If you like how it sounds equalized, then by all means EQ it. For metal I like V-shaped sound signatures better than anything else, so I'd hold off on the Grados until you get a chance to try them out. I don't like my HFI-580's very much without EQ, but with it I love them. I use Linux so I can't recommend you an equalizer, but I'm sure there is plenty of free software out there. You might as well try it before you go buying anything. What do you have to lose?

I like V-shaped sound for some kinds of metal but when it comes to power metal which vocal plays a really important role in the music, I have found the mid-range lacking penetration. You are right, I will probably stick to EQ before I have chances to try out other cans. Thanks.

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I have a question about foobar, my music files are mostly ripped in Apple lossless and when I map my iTunes library in foobar, foobar seems to have difficulty recognizing tracks in such format, It gives me troubles migrating from iTunes to foobar. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

Might it be here? http://www.foobar2000.org/components

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Recabling is always fun, you get a a better cable, but no, your mids will not change. Equalizer is the best option. Most mods only affect the extension and quantity of bass and treble, I don't know any who only acts on the mids.

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am current pairing my HFI-780 with the Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC/AMP. I mainly listen to melodic death metal, power metal and some progressive metal (children of bodom, fleshgod apocalypse, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica, Dream Theater). Tonight I have played around with the iTunes Equalizer just for fun and I have found that I quite like the sound produced by the "Vocal Booster". The bass is reduced a little and the vocal is definitely strengthen and can finally hit the sweet spot. Now I understand why people say the 780 is mid recessed and now I can't "unhear" the deficit in the mid range.

Since the equalizer makes the music a bit unbalanced and loses some dynamics, I am looking for a better way to solve the problem. Is there any good quality software equalizer that I can use within windows or osx? (Im now using iTunes -> Bit Perfect for osx -> HUD-Mx1 ->780) OR I should do a recabling for my headphone? OR should I get another cans? (I have compared the frequency response curves of 780 and sr325is but I have found that sr325is has higher response for high frequency but not the mid range so it may not solve the problem, am I correct?)

thanks.

A cable swap will do nothing here. Or nearly any where. But I digress...

I would consider:

Beyer DT770
Brainwavz HM5

Or save up and go Hifiman HE-400 even.

Very best,

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Well, then I will probably give up the option of recabling. And I have a question about foobar, my music files are mostly ripped in Apple lossless and when I map my iTunes library in foobar, foobar seems to have difficulty recognizing tracks in such format, It gives me troubles migrating from iTunes to foobar. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

well, again, I think I will give up thinking about recabling then. Thanks.

I like V-shaped sound for some kinds of metal but when it comes to power metal which vocal plays a really important role in the music, I have found the mid-range lacking penetration. You are right, I will probably stick to EQ before I have chances to try out other cans. Thanks.

You might want to take this for a spin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_alac

Also, the HFI-780 aren't exactly entry level cans, but I personally don't find them high end enough to warrant mods like this: http://www.moon-audio.com/headphones/ultrasone-headphones/ultrasone-hfi-780.html

About EQing, as long as you're not driving the cans up to clipping levels and have the EQ levels in check, you won't really lose any dynamics, but that requires adequate EQ tweaking.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Recabling is always fun, you get a a better cable, but no, your mids will not change. Equalizer is the best option. Most mods only affect the extension and quantity of bass and treble, I don't know any who only acts on the mids.

so there is no known method to improve the mids of a headphone?? But it is true that I have seldom heard people have troubles with the mids, probably I have an abnormal or weird taste/preference in sound. sad.

Quote:

A cable swap will do nothing here. Or nearly any where. But I digress...

I would consider:

Beyer DT770
Brainwavz HM5

Or save up and go Hifiman HE-400 even.

Very best,

I think the bass of the DT770 will be too much for me. Is the Hidiman HE-400 good for metal listening? 

Quote:

You might want to take this for a spin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_input_alac

Also, the HFI-780 aren't exactly entry level cans, but I personally don't find them high end enough to warrant mods like this: http://www.moon-audio.com/headphones/ultrasone-headphones/ultrasone-hfi-780.html

About EQing, as long as you're not driving the cans up to clipping levels and have the EQ levels in check, you won't really lose any dynamics, but that requires adequate EQ tweaking.

Thanks. I think I will try to download a good EQ plugin for foobar like the electri-q mentioned by scottie to do some minor tweak in the sound then.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
so there is no known method to improve the mids of a headphone?? But it is true that I have seldom heard people have troubles with the mids, probably I have an abnormal or weird taste/preference in sound. sad.

Thanks. I think I will try to download a good EQ plugin for foobar like the electri-q mentioned by scottie to do some minor tweak in the sound then.

You don't have an abnormal or weird music taste, you just have your own personal preferences, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise :)

Electri-Q is often recommended as it is of relatively high quality as well as having a free version available. Just keep in mind that some people have had some freezing issues with it.
You might also want to check this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/473885/isone-pro-the-best-thing-you-could-ever-get-for-your-headphones-on-your-computer

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:

Actually it's common, like with people who buy something V-shaped and want better vocals or something. Mods can affect the mids of course, what I mean is I don't think any can affect the mids exclusively. Here's an example: people put dynamat on the inside of the cups because for some physical reason I can't explain it "absorbs" the sound waves, instead of reflecting the pressure shifts they stop there. This helps control the bass, which gets tighter and probably extends less too.
Another mod is puting foam discs in front of the driver, which creates a barrier. The high frequencies are more stopped by this than the low (again can't explain, I just know it happens) giving it a more muffled sound and less treble extension, i.e. controls the treble. All of these will affect the mids as well, but the thing is the division between bass, mids and treble only exists for us humans, in physical terms it affects all frequencies in varying degrees. And all of these will affect the ends of the spectrum more than the middle of it, since it's kind of a "the higher/lower the frequency, the more/less attenuation you will get", so it wouldn't make much sense to have a mod affect more in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back