I have Focal Clear and Elex... Which One to Keep?

Which Focal Headphones Should I Keep?

• Total voters
Nov 7, 2019 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

billqs

500+ Head-Fier
So, I received a Focal Clear that I got and I love. It so happens I also won an auction for a Focal Elex. I've been going back and forth but it's hard to tell a lot of difference in the sound. Jude's review in the Elex thread shows the frequency response between the two phones to be very, very similar. The Clear carries more subbass but the sound signature pretty much tracks. I believe I hear better detailing out of the Clear, but the Elex is no slouch, either.

Which should I keep?

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 17
Personally, I was able to hear a difference between the two and favored the Clear. The Elex was very good, but it just had a bit less balance and cohesion in the sound, and it was noticeably less resolving. I wanted to go with the Elex to save money, but the Clear was worth the extra money for me. On the other hand, ever since, I've been tempted to buy the Elex too. It's an excellent headphone in its own right.

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 17
I do think the Clear is my favorite of the two. Seems like it yields better detail. But the differences are subtle.

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 17
So, I received a Focal Clear that I got and I love. It so happens I also won an auction for a Focal Elex. I've been going back and forth but it's hard to tell a lot of difference in the sound. Jude's review in the Elex thread shows the frequency response between the two phones to be very, very similar. The Clear carries more subbass but the sound signature pretty much tracks. I believe I hear better detailing out of the Clear, but the Elex is no slouch, either.

Which should I keep?

Similar thing happened to me, I was very curious about the elex.

For some reason there doesn't seem to be an elex discussion thread. 🤷‍♂️

The elex is surprisingly good, I think I heard someone say that they are about 90% of the clears. While I don't know if thats the best way to describe it but I can totally see what they mean.

They are quite similar but the clears have a fuller bodied sound with more weight behind the notes. The clears are punchier and have more bass and liveliness.

I've been A/B listening alot to hear the difference and the elex actually has more sparkle. Vocals are more forward with the Clears. The Elex veers towards neutral and analytical while the Clear has a V shape. I think the Elex is more similar to the Clear MG Pro than the Clear OG.

Alas, I'm having the same dilemma lol, they sound too similar to keep both.

IMG_20220421_204750.jpg

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 17
I'd keep Elex, I don't feel OG Clear is anywhere near worth double.

You could take Elex plus some other $450 can of your choice.

The Elex is an awesome H/P and is the best value IMO in Focal's lineup.

I had Clear OG, MG, and just kept Elex (though I really did like the MG just expensive).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 17

The elex is surprisingly good, I think I heard someone say that they are about 90% of the clears. While I don't know if thats the best way to describe it but I can totally see what they mean.

They are quite similar but the clears have a fuller bodied sound with more weight behind the notes. The clears are punchier and have more bass and liveliness.

I've been A/B listening alot to hear the difference and the elex actually has more sparkle. Vocals are more forward with the Clears. The Elex veers towards neutral and analytical while the Clear has a V shape. I think the Elex is more similar to the Clear MG Pro than the Clear OG.

IMG_20220421_204750.jpg
Nice headband cover…☑️
4E9F9A5F-4BE1-4304-AF2F-915F7C3690BB.jpeg

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 17
Just spend an hour with your favorite songs and pick what you like best. I LOVE my Elex's but really want to try a Clear sometime.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 17

IMG_20220421_204750.jpg
There is a long thread for the Elex's:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-measurements.867615/

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 17
I do think the Clear is my favorite of the two. Seems like it yields better detail. But the differences are subtle.
Then sell the Elex, use the proceeds to get a headphone with a different sonic ‘flavour’.

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Just spend an hour with your favorite songs and pick what you like best. I LOVE my Elex's but really want to try a Clear sometime.
I'll enjoy them both for a bit and will probably end up selling the elex. I tend to always gravitate towards the bass :)

I really think the Elex is very similar to the Clear MG Pro, maybe not quite as good but the tuning is closer to them than the Clear OG.

I like that the printed text on the Elex doesn't just rub off like it does on the clears.

Been testing out these silky soft brown leather pads from Vesper audio on both headphones, I think I like them more than the Dekoni sheepskin pads.
IMG_20220421_210644.jpg

Apr 22, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 17
This was from over 2 years ago. I kept the Elex, but mostly for 2 reasons: 1) I needed more money for my Headphone Habit and Clears catch more funds and 2) I couldn't keep the %^$% pads clean!

I still love the Clears. I've owned a pair 3 different times, but I have to say my Elex has been my daily driver for at least a year or so.

May 27, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 17
I don't own an Elex, but I do own an Elear with Clear pads and a Clear. Between the Elear with Clear pads and the Clear, I feel the Clear is the obvious winner. My understanding is the Elex might be an Elear with Clear pads, is there any truth to this? The Elear will be up for sale soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back