I have finally discovered Meshuggah
Jul 26, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you with both versions of Nothing (original mix and remix), which do you prefer? After having listened to both, I like the remix a bit better. The instruments are a bit better seperated, the mix is not quite as dense, and ther is more room for everything to breathe and be considered on its own.

I prefer the remix as well. The 8-string guitars are tremendous, the drums are tighter, and the sound is crisper... it gets that "massive" feeling across a lot better than the original, IMO.

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #32 of 41
i like them both. i cant make the decision. and did i read this correctly? someone wants them to put out an instrumental album? jens' vocals are some of the best gutteral screams ever. these guys are like voltron. apart, theyre all great musicians, but when combined, theyre nothing short of perfect. an unstoppable force.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having meshuggah sitting on my computer for at least a year ( I listened a couple times but wasn't really interested), I read the title of this post two days ago and gave it another shot. I am now obsessed with it. I have Catch 33, I and Destroy, Erase, Improve, and can't stop listening. Amazing!

Some other bands that took me a while to get into: The Dillinger Escape Plan(HATED them at first),Isis(missed them when opening for tool, have cursed myself ever since) , Refused.

DEP made me want to hurt myself the first time I heard them.
The music was so painful to listen to, I could barely make it through one track.
One year later and Miss Machine is in HEAVY rotation
icon10.gif

Cant wait for the new album in August...
Dont you love it how that happens?

AMSOX-i rememeber you recommending Coprofago to me a while back.
I think I need to giev them another try being that I am now more open to technical/math metal.
If I recall correctly they had some insane time shifts and jazz sounding interludes?
Its the technical-death/jazz metal thing that I find most intruiging.
have any other recs?

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AMSOX-i rememeber you recommending Coprofago to me a while back.
I think I need to giev them another try being that I am now more open to technical/math metal.
If I recall correctly they had some insane time shifts and jazz sounding interludes?
Its the technical-death/jazz metal thing that I find most intruiging.
have any other recs?

You'd probably like Coprofago's Unorthodox Creative Criteria, yeah. It's basically Cynic + Meshuggah. The riffing styles, irregular rhythmic patterns, and guitar tones are all ripped straight from Destroy Erase Improve. The vocals are pretty much an exact replica of Jens Kidman... atonal roaring and cryptic lyricism and everything (and when I say exact, I do mean exact). The guitar leads are strikingly similar to Fredrik Thordendal's Holdsworth-meets-The Matrix style. The organic (sometimes fretless) bass presence and the way in which it is employed is an obvious nod to Cynic, as are the fluid transformations from metallic bursts of technicality to peaceful stretches of serenity.

Try it out.

As far as other recs - you might as well pick up the two landmark albums in technical death/jazz metal - Cynic's Focus, and Atheist's Unqestionable Presence.

You might also like Martyr... check out Warp Zone or Feeding the Abscess. Either album is good.

Alarum's Eventuality is an alright album in the genre, but I personally think it's a little bit dry. Others swear by it, though.

Look into Stargazer's The Scream That Tore The Sky. Also, Aghora's self-titled... and Textures' Drawing Circles.

Also try out Sikth. I have a feeling you would like them.

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd probably like Coprofago's Unorthodox Creative Criteria, yeah. It's basically Cynic + Meshuggah. The riffing styles, irregular rhythmic patterns, and guitar tones are all ripped straight from Destroy Erase Improve. The vocals are pretty much an exact replica of Jens Kidman... atonal roaring and cryptic lyricism and everything (and when I say exact, I do mean exact). The guitar leads are strikingly similar to Fredrik Thordendal's Holdsworth-meets-The Matrix style. The organic (sometimes fretless) bass presence and the way in which it is employed is an obvious nod to Cynic, as are the fluid transformations from metallic bursts of technicality to peaceful stretches of serenity.

Try it out.

As far as other recs - you might as well pick up the two landmark albums in technical death/jazz metal - Cynic's Focus, and Atheist's Unqestionable Presence.

You might also like Martyr... check out Warp Zone or Feeding the Abscess. Either album is good.

Alarum's Eventuality is an alright album in the genre, but I personally think it's a little bit dry. Others swear by it, though.

Look into Stargazer's The Scream That Tore The Sky. Also, Aghora's self-titled... and Textures' Drawing Circles.

Cool-thnx.

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #36 of 41
Out of several songs I have heard from Meshuggah, only one is what I really like, Future Breed Machine. Other songs I have heard have either been to repetive, too boring or too odd-timed that it has breaken all bounds of Metal genre beyond what I can understand and therefore unable to like.

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try it out.

I like your style. Focus and UP are absolute must-owns if you like metal. Although for Martyr I'd recommend Hopeless Hopes, and say avoid the rest.

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK I have placed order for used Cds:
-DEI
-Chaosphere

I am almost sure I had "nothing" at one time but didn't keep it. Don't the vocals on Nothing have very repetitive pattern almost robotic/machine like in delivery? Perhaps that is what I didn't like about it.........

Well I did finally get three Cds by Meshuggah:
-Nothing
-Destroy Erase Improve
-Chaosphere

Now I agree they have some very interesting music going on........but the vocals are just bad. Monochromatic with no tone variation and almost no tempo variation, just shouted "metal rap" style vocals like a machine, a shame to waste the musical efforts with those limited vocals. So much more could be accomplished with just a little well timed variation in vocal technique.........especially with album Nothing.

Now I know the fans will say that is all part of the sound they seek and they do it on purpose, but I wonder if the guy just really in not a good singer?

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other songs I have heard have either been to repetive, too boring or too odd-timed that it has breaken all bounds of Metal genre beyond what I can understand and therefore unable to like.

I have to agree with you here. I really tried to like Meshuggah, but I just couldn't get into it. I guess it's just too "different" for me.

Aug 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I did finally get three Cds by Meshuggah:
-Nothing
-Destroy Erase Improve
-Chaosphere

Now I agree they have some very interesting music going on........but the vocals are just bad. Monochromatic with no tone variation and almost no tempo variation, just shouted "metal rap" style vocals like a machine, a shame to waste the musical efforts with those limited vocals. So much more could be accomplished with just a little well timed variation in vocal technique.........especially with album Nothing.

Now I know the fans will say that is all part of the sound they seek and they do it on purpose, but I wonder if the guy just really in not a good singer?

I can see where you're coming from with regards to the vocals, but I don't think they would be Meshuggah anymore if he started to use more dynamic vocals; if he wanted to, I'm sure he can. As you already pointed out, lack of emotion and the obsessively mechanical nature of the music is what makes them unique.

Recently though, Coprofago has impressed me hugely. They're like a hybrid of Meshuggah, Cynic and Gordian Knot. The vocals are similiar to Meshuggah but the dude occasionaly uses some seriously deep growls, in a more brutal-death-metal fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back