I have finally discovered Meshuggah
Jul 23, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #16 of 41
I think metal is quite a miss understood art form. Could one of you guys basically explain what it is, its origins and what it means to you and the artists that produce it? Its a VERY different sound from what I am used to hearing.

Jul 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #17 of 41
I agree with asmox, that there is a distinct change in the Meshuggah sound after Chaosphere. I never really got into their new sound, a little too dense and bloated for my liking. Destroy Erase Improve has this raw and nimble quality to it that I very much like and it's not over produced like the later albums which gives the atmosphere some space to breath.

If you like Catch 33, I think you'd enjoy Fredrick Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within. Sort of like Meshuggah v2.0.

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with asmox, that there is a distinct change in the Meshuggah sound after Chaosphere. I never really got into their new sound, a little too dense and bloated for my liking. Destroy Erase Improve has this raw and nimble quality to it that I very much like and it's not over produced like the later albums which gives the atmosphere some space to breath.

OK I have placed order for used Cds:
-DEI
-Chaosphere

I am almost sure I had "nothing" at one time but didn't keep it. Don't the vocals on Nothing have very repetitive pattern almost robotic/machine like in delivery? Perhaps that is what I didn't like about it.........

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think that there are two schools of Meshuggah fans - the guys that like the technical thrash, speedy rhythmic permutations, and general showboating found on their first few albums; and the guys who like the more cerebral, crushing, minimalistic, austere, and entrancing rhythmic trickery found on their last few albums. The line being drawn between Chaosphere and Nothing.

Myself? I prefer their later output by a mile. They've evolved from the quintessential tech metal band to something far, far greater.

Looks like for now I belong to school #1
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am almost sure I had "nothing" at one time but didn't keep it. Don't the vocals on Nothing have very repetitive pattern almost robotic/machine like in delivery? Perhaps that is what I didn't like about it.........

The vocals across all Meshuggah albums are very similar. Jens Kidman has this consistent atonal roar that just follows the percussive and mechanical nature of the band without employing much in the way of dynamics. Most people don't like Nothing because of its plodding pace, but I think it's one of their most complex albums, and I love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
If you like Catch 33, I think you'd enjoy Fredrick Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within. Sort of like Meshuggah v2.0.

Agreed.

Sol Niger Within is one of my favorite albums ever and I recommend you get your hands on it ASAP. It isn't quite as heavy as Meshuggah proper, but it's far more volatile, dynamic, and experimental and really showcases what a wonderful and inventive guitarist Fredrik Thordendal really is. Morgan Agren drums on it, and while he plays in a different style from Tomas Haake (more organic and limber as opposed to Haake's incredibly tight and regimented style), he's still likely to give any drummer an eargasm. There's saxophone on there also - sometimes of the noisy sort ala John Zorn, sometimes wrestling back and forth with Fredrik's guitars. The vocals are fairly sinister and more violent than those found on Meshuggah albums - sort of a serpentine hiss/snarl.

Either way, awesome album. Get it.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 41
I love Meshuggah.

My introduction to them years ago was through a compilation CD/magazine (the name escapes me at the moment). The song on it was Future Breed Machine, still probably my favorite Meshuggah song.

I have Destroy Erase Improve, Catch 33, Contradiction Collapse, and Nothing. A lot of their music sounds similar, but that's OK with me. I like their style and sound, the slightly offbeat riffs. Very heavy stuff.

I saw them tour with Tool in 2002. It was funny, because much of the audience that was their for Meshuggah's opening set sat in some sort of trance. I'm guessing most of the people there to see Tool had no idea who Meshuggah was. Everybody listened (quietly) and clapped nicely at the end. But it was sure not a crowd that understood Meshuggah.

One of my favorite music videos is New Millenium Cyanide Christ. The whole video is Meshaggah in a van on the highway playing air instruments. Jens Kidman sings into a pencil.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 41
Catch 33 got me onboard. It's one of the darkest (pseudo?) concept albums I've ever heard. A "fevered death dream." Pretty cool how most of the note permutations are based on sequences of threes. The first track makes this pretty clear as it only consists of (IIRC) the notes E, F, and F#.
biggrin.gif

Listening to Catch 33 reminds me of the time I spent reading the book House of Leaves and freaking out about the infinite abyss.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Catch 33 got me onboard. It's one of the darkest (pseudo?) concept albums I've ever heard. A "fevered death dream." Pretty cool how most of the note permutations are based on sequences of threes. The first track makes this pretty clear as it only consists of (IIRC) the notes E, F, and F#.
biggrin.gif

Listening to Catch 33 reminds me of the time I spent reading the book House of Leaves and freaking out about the infinite abyss.
evil_smiley.gif

Sounds like wer'e on the same page.
Which album did you pick up next?

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #25 of 41
Actually... I haven't decided yet.
tongue.gif

Not sure if I want a similar album (ex. I) or something a little thrashier (ex. Destroy Erase Improve) or experimental (Fredrick Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within).

For a preview of the latter, see this SNG medley on YouTube featuring Fredrik Thordendal on seven string (minus two
biggrin.gif
) and Morgan Agren on drums. Rhythmic intensity!
very_evil_smiley.gif

That medley is really just a showpiece for Agren; there's a lot more musical stuff happening on the album from what I've heard.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #26 of 41
I consider Meshuggah as closest represantive of modern atonal classical music in the metal scene. Totally atonal melodic patterns, insanely hard to replicate rhythms and completely unconventional time signatures. It can't really be compared to any other metal band, and especially NOT to borderline nu-metal. I'm not really familar with all theri albums, but I think I prefer the older material. Especially the first album is a good starting point (Darkangel : take notice
icon10.gif
). Nothing is ridiculously hard album to get into at first. Do not start listening to Meshuggah from that album. I did, and it took me like two years to give Meshuggah another chance.

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #27 of 41
After having meshuggah sitting on my computer for at least a year ( I listened a couple times but wasn't really interested), I read the title of this post two days ago and gave it another shot. I am now obsessed with it. I have Catch 33, I and Destroy, Erase, Improve, and can't stop listening. Amazing!

Some other bands that took me a while to get into: The Dillinger Escape Plan(HATED them at first),Isis(missed them when opening for tool, have cursed myself ever since) , Refused.

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After having meshuggah sitting on my computer for at least a year ( I listened a couple times but wasn't really interested), I read the title of this post two days ago and gave it another shot. I am now obsessed with it. I have Catch 33, I and Destroy, Erase, Improve, and can't stop listening. Amazing!.

Hehe, happens to me too when these threads pop up. Been listening over Catch 33 again and it's slowly sinking in.

Jul 25, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #29 of 41
I have most of their albums, and I dont know about you but I hate the "singing".
Personally I could care less about the lyrics, Meshuggah is about difficult to play time signatures and groovy beats!

Meshuggah should release instrumental only, add a couple solo instruments and I think we could be in for a treat..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 41
For those of you with both versions of Nothing (original mix and remix), which do you prefer? After having listened to both, I like the remix a bit better. The instruments are a bit better seperated, the mix is not quite as dense, and ther is more room for everything to breathe and be considered on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back