I have been rudistorized!!!!
Feb 1, 2005 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, I am loosing control! I just could not resist! I just bought a Rudistor RP5cav that I had been eyeing for the longest time last summer. The unit arrived today at FedEx. The FedEx guy driving my amp around town finally got back to the regional pick-up station after two failed attempts by me to pick it up. The darn thing was well packed. But to my horror, the handles and the faceplate had fallen off from the chassis when I took the unit out!
eek.gif

After examining it, I came to the conclusion that the screws securing the handles and the faceplate to the chassis were simply too short. It barely made two turns after contacting the chassis. Just a wiggle, and the whole thing comes loose. I sent an e-mail to Rudi for longer screws. Hopefully, Rudi can remedy that. (Or I'll have to go hunt down some metric srews with hex heads.) I am under the impression that these handles are just for decoration. They are nothing like the ones you find on high-end amps where you can actually grab them and left the whole amp (200 lbs +) off the floor. Other than that, the amp looks like it's solidly built. (Also a manual would have been nice) and the rubber feet were a joke. I took them off and put the Rudistor on some spare Audio Selection cones I have.

Well, after I plugged it in and turn it on, I was relieved that it was working. And it sounds very good!
600smile.gif
Rudi has a pair of Sylvania JAN 6922 or 6DJ8s in there. (I couldn't tell as the marking had rubbed off, and the lighting in the garage wasn't too good) I will have to roll some other good NOS tubes later....How will Cyber 20 compare to the Rudistor? We shall find out in the near future.....

UPDATE:
Rudi had contacted me today and sent out a few sets of long/short screws so I can secure the handles or remove them all together. Very nice support!

Oh, these will be used with the Senn HD600 + Cardas. Have come close to pull the trigger and buy a HD650 several times, but have always decided against right before clicking on that "purchase" button....Maybe that'll be my upgrade next year.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 9
nice.
smily_headphones1.gif
so when do we get to hear it?

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 9
When you come down here!
icon10.gif
Until I get the faceplate issue resolved, I think it would be wise not to move it too much....

By the way, did you ever get to look up those phono cartridges while you were in Japan?

Feb 1, 2005 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 9
I knew I forgot to do something.
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 9
did you buy the demo unit that was on sale on ebay?
wink.gif

jacopi|!

Feb 1, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Congrats on a nice choice!! You didnt mention which headphones you plan to use with this amp. I still believe it is one of the top 5 amplifiers out there for the Sennheiser 300 ohm headphones.

Best regards!

gs

Feb 1, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I knew I forgot to do something.
tongue.gif

You are a bad boy! Just so you'll remember what you are supposed to do next time, you have to stand on the sideline and watch everyone else get to listen to it at the next meet!
mad.gif
(
icon10.gif
)

By the way, I am not sure if the February meet will happen, unless someone stand up and organize it. I would but I have a very demanding baby who takes up most of my free time. (Leaving very little time to listen to music) I still have to go talk to my cousin about the possibility of using the space....

Feb 1, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacopo
did you buy the demo unit that was on sale on ebay?
wink.gif

jacopi|!

My wife would like to speak to you about my new purchase and for tempting me into it.
tongue.gif
Now I can only afford eating instant Raman for lunch.....

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
Alright, I am loosing control! I just could not resist! I just bought a Rudistor RP5cav that I had been eyeing for the longest time last summer. The unit arrived today at FedEx. The FedEx guy driving my amp around town finally got back to the regional pick-up station after two failed attempts by me to pick it up. The darn thing was well packed. But to my horror, the handles and the faceplate had fallen off from the chassis when I took the unit out!
eek.gif

My first power amp (a Sumo) had those big handles for lifting. It had to go back
to the factory to be rebiased, and on the way back to me, UPS dropped it bending the 1/4" faceplate back about 3 inches and knocking the whole thing out of shape. The amp still worked fine, but since it was out of production and Sumo was out of the parts to replace the damage, they sent me the new upgraded amp -- without handles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back