I have been lurking at Head-Fi less than a week...
Mar 19, 2003 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

tortoise

Head-Fier
...and as a direct result of said lurking, I have just, in a grand total of about 48 hours:
  1. ordered a pair of Koss KSC-50 as a cheap portable upgrade to my second-generation iPod earbuds
  2. ordered a pair of Senn MX500 for the same application, given that my ears have become quite accustomed to basic earbuds (read: sufficiently callused), and there are times when an in-ear design is most practical for me
  3. ordered a pair of Sony D66 Eggos, to replace my MDR V600s that I (unwittingly) purchased last year, for both home and work listening with my iPod
  4. begun re-ripping many of my favorite CDs using LAME --alt-preset standard, to spiffy up the iPod's sound in preparation for the new cans (none of which have even arrived yet, mind you)
I have a feeling that this place is going to be very dangerous for me.

Be gentle...

wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by tortoise

Welcome to Head-Fi tortoise.. here's wishing to health and longevity to your wallet..
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Be gentle...

wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome tortoise....

and so it begins....hehehehe

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Hey tortoise, you really need to try some Etymotics - they're great with an iPod and flying doesn't get any better.

very_evil_smiley.gif

I definitely plan on at least auditioning some of these in the future.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Oh, I had a question about the D66 Eggos. Most reviews I've seen say that they are comfortable, but they often contain the word "snug." My head is rather large, and I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem with the Eggos? I haven't read any specific caveats warning big headed people to steer clear of them (unlike, say, the Senn PX200s), but I was just wondering.

Mar 19, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

I definitely plan on at least auditioning some of these in the future.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Oh, I had a question about the D66 Eggos. Most reviews I've seen say that they are comfortable, but they often contain the word "snug." My head is rather large, and I'm wondering if that is going to be a problem with the Eggos? I haven't read any specific caveats warning big headed people to steer clear of them (unlike, say, the Senn PX200s), but I was just wondering.

to decrease the clamping effect of the d66, you can bend the silver metal parts of the headband so they're straighter. they're tough to bend, and be careful not to break them. otherwise, just walk around in the cold and they eggos will loosen up (for a while).

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 36
Welcome to head-fi. Your wallet is now filing for divorce.

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Welcome to head-fi. Your wallet is now filing for divorce.

Heh.. I believe it's too late.. The abuse has begun, and there's no turning back...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
to decrease the clamping effect of the d66, you can bend the silver metal parts of the headband so they're straighter. they're tough to bend, and be careful not to break them. otherwise, just walk around in the cold and they eggos will loosen up (for a while).

Yes, I've read about the cold-weather memory metal phenomenon. Thanks for the bending tips. I'll just have to wait and see how they fit when they arrive. At least I know my gigantic head won't be an obstacle with my KSC-50s and MX500s.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #14 of 36
Another war between the wallet and desires starts off due to time spent at Head-Fi. Welcome to our world. You can search in the Member's Lounge for Team Broke info. Please choose your avatar and join us in misery as more and more good stuff that we can't afford comes out.

Mar 19, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #15 of 36
Big head? No problem. I have the same affliction and I have never had a problem. The wire band is quite thin and springy, and, as you are already aware, become quite loose in the cold.

And, on these two points:
Quote:

-ordered a pair of Sony D66 Eggos, to replace my MDR V600s that I (unwittingly) purchased last year, for both home and work listening with my iPod

-begun re-ripping many of my favorite CDs using LAME --alt-preset standard, to spiffy up the iPod's sound in preparation for the new cans (none of which have even arrived yet, mind you)

You are a man after my own heart.

Later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back