I have been insulted by someone of great intellect and i feel like trash. How should i react to this?
Jun 20, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #33 of 92
Jun 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #34 of 92
As mentioned previously, pessimism and angst belongs to youth. Not many years ago I used to be the one who was always on "the dark side" of arguments. I've grown out of it and found my zen. Enjoy life as much as you can. The happier you are the happier everyone around you is. This is what I've noticed. Even a small flirty smile at the local store, or whatever.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #35 of 92

Quote:
As mentioned previously, pessimism and angst belongs to youth. Not many years ago I used to be the one who was always on "the dark side" of arguments. I've grown out of it and found my zen. Enjoy life as much as you can. The happier you are the happier everyone around you is. This is what I've noticed. Even a small flirty smile at the local store, or whatever.

all i need is music to help me appreciate life.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #37 of 92
Honestly, I blame the internet. It is so easy for people to type incredibly negative comments when they remain anonymous. Just look at most of the YouTube video comments. Pessimism doesn't do anyone good and knowing several bi-polar people, it really just destroys. It takes time, but start looking at the brighter side of things. When you get irritated, tell yourself, "stop b!tching and suck it up" then think about nice people you have the pleasure to share your life with.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #38 of 92

Quote:
To the op:

To be honest, properly optimistic people p**s me off royally.

Carry on as you are, there are many people truly gutted at the state of humanity, you aren't alone.

i personally consider myself a realist. i look at what could happen. and doing that has helped me in for example purchasing things. if i was optimistic i would have bought beats for example.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #39 of 92

Quote:
i personally consider myself a realist. i look at what could happen. and doing that has helped me in for example purchasing things. if i was optimistic i would have bought beats for example.

I don't think being an optimistic means making uninformed purchases...

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #40 of 92

Quote:

I don't think being an optimistic means making uninformed purchases...

being pessimistic means i look for bad reviews first. and if i find a whole lot of bad reviews then i stay away. i found remarkably few bad reviews for the shure srh750dj compared to the beats solo's i was originally eying. that is why i went for the shures instead. i wasn't satisfied with those so i exchanged them for the shure srh840 when they went on sale. research lead me to these headphones.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #41 of 92
You live in a beautiful, peaceful place.  You have enough money to buy audio equipment.  You are (probably) educated.  You enjoy FREE health care.  etc. In other words you are not starving, surrounded by war or pollution.  What do you have to be pessimistic about? count your blessings kid, because 80% of the rest of the world are seriously hurting.  If those are the people you are sympathetic for then join the peace corps and DO something about it and quit whining about how somebody hurt your feelings.  

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #42 of 92

Quote:
You live in a beautiful, peaceful place.  You have enough money to buy audio equipment.  You are (probably) educated.  You enjoy FREE health care.  etc. In other words you are not starving, surrounded by war or pollution.  What do you have to be pessimistic about? count your blessings kid, because 80% of the rest of the world are seriously hurting.  If those are the people you are sympathetic for then join the peace corps and DO something about it and quit whining about how somebody hurt your feelings.  

the fact these people our not so fortunate is why i have lost faith in humanity. 99% of the worlds wealth is owned by less then 1% of the population. we should help people who are in need instead of hogging it all for ourselves. that is why i am a realist. i look at thinsg logically. not always pessimistic or optimistic. there is many times i look at the bright side and many times i look at the dark side of things. it depends on the circumstances. no sense lying to yourself and saying everything will be alright if you know it won't be true.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #43 of 92

Quote:
being pessimistic means i look for bad reviews first. and if i find a whole lot of bad reviews then i stay away. i found remarkably few bad reviews for the shure srh750dj compared to the beats solo's i was originally eying. that is why i went for the shures instead. i wasn't satisfied with those so i exchanged them for the shure srh840 when they went on sale. research lead me to these headphones.

One action doesn't equal a whole.

Quote:
the fact these people our not so fortunate is why i have lost faith in humanity. 99% of the worlds wealth is owned by less then 1% of the population. we should help people who are in need instead of hogging it all for ourselves. that is why i am a realist. i look at thinsg logically. not always pessimistic or optimistic. there is many times i look at the bright side and many times i look at the dark side of things. it depends on the circumstances. no sense lying to yourself and saying everything will be alright if you know it won't be true.

This is not realist. This is naive thinking. You think everyone is selfish? That is pessimism my friend.

Imagine you've been working 40 years of your life with 60 hour weeks to make savings for your family. Then some guy named President Raptor25 comes along and says, "You need to stop hogging all that cash bro. You need to distribute it to the poorest people in the world." The poorest countries tend to be ruled by corrupt governments and you can't just kill 'em off. Or maybe you can when you're president. Hell, those people even sell off AIDs pills that we donate to them.

It's best to think that people are just simply doing the best they can.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #44 of 92

Quote:
One action doesn't equal a whole.

This is not realist. This is naive thinking. You think everyone is selfish? That is pessimism my friend.

Imagine you've been working 40 years of your life with 60 hour weeks to make savings for your family. Then some guy named President Raptor25 comes along and says, "You need to stop hogging all that cash bro. You need to distribute it to the poorest people in the world." The poorest countries tend to be ruled by corrupt governments and you can't just kill 'em off. Or maybe you can when you're president. Hell, those people even sell off AIDs pills that we donate to them.

It's best to think that people are just simply doing the best they can.

yeah I guess that's a good way of thinking of things. Given what the human race has been through and come to, it's really just doing the best it can. Though I wish it would be possible to do more.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #45 of 92

Quote:

Nothing's free, least of all our health care.  We're paying for it with our taxes...as a result there's less money to go around for other things.  It may just seem to magically come out of nowhere, but it's just out of our pockets to begin with...but the healthy ones end up paying for the unhealthy ones in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back