I have Ath-M50x's and Sennheiser hd598's.
Jul 25, 2015 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cossette

Head-Fier
So I have these two headphones and I'd like to upgrade soon.

I own an insignia 300W stereo receiver amplifier as well as a bravo v2 tube amplifier.

My question is, in the 200-350$ range, what headphones do you guys think I should get?

I'm looking strictly for open headphones since I enjoyed the hd598's so much.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 16
Maybe AKG K7XX, should like a HD598, but more life or fiesta in the sound.
Philips Fidelio series would seem to make a good upgrade, but your receiver and the Bravo might have too high an output impedance to drive them well.
What sources feed into the receiver and the Bravo?

Jul 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 16
  Maybe AKG K7XX, should like a HD598, but more life or fiesta in the sound.
Philips Fidelio series would seem to make a good upgrade, but your receiver and the Bravo might have too high an output impedance to drive them well.
What sources feed into the receiver and the Bravo?

Btw, isn't the akg k7XX supposed to be a massdrop type of deal?  Any idea if they're doing another drop?
Also I'm slightly interested in the beyerdynami dt-990's. I found an ebay deal for ~160$ so I thought that mihgt be pretty worth it

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 16
  Btw, isn't the akg k7XX supposed to be a massdrop type of deal?  Any idea if they're doing another drop?
Also I'm slightly interested in the Beyerdynamic dt-990's. I found an eBay deal for ~160$ so I thought that might be pretty worth it

It looks like Massdrop wants 1250 committed people before ordering the next batch of K7XX and only 297 people have signed up.
So I'm guessing it will be while before that next batch is ordered.
But should be used ones, in good shape, for sale.

The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm are full bass/treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 16
The only thing I'm kinda disappointed about in the dt-990's is that there's no detachable cable.So is that much of a problem? It only feels like a drawback because the 2 headphones I own both have detachable cables. I'm guessing non-detachable is kinda the norm in really high end headphones?

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 16
  The only thing I'm kinda disappointed about in the dt-990's is that there's no detachable cable.So is that much of a problem? It only feels like a drawback because the 2 headphones I own both have detachable cables. I'm guessing non-detachable is kinda the norm in really high end headphones?

Most of my headphones have non-detachable cables, but I have gotten my feet tangled into the cables and can see why a detachable cable is desirable.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 16
  How are the dt 880's btw?

And what's the difference between the pro and premium versions?

I'd say I'd probably get the 250ohm version if anything/

I would say the DT880 are the most neutral headphones in the line-up where the dt770/990 have more pronounced bass and treble which results in the mids being more recessed than the DT880. All of them are very clear headphones though.

The difference between pro and premium models are the clamping pressure(headband) and the cables. The pro versions have a coiled cable which can stretch up to 3m where the premium versions have a straight cable. The premium versions have lesser clamping pressure than the pro ones.

Both the 250ohm and 600ohm versions should handle the (mostly) higher output impedance of tube amplifiers very well.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 16
  How are the 
dt880's btw?
And what's the difference between the pro and premium versions?
I'd say I'd probably get the 250ohm version if anything/

The Beyer Dt880 are nicely balanced, but a little on the bright side.
The Premium version make more profit for Beyer, then the Pro version.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 16
Man I really want to save up enough for the hd 650's. I enjoy the hd 598's so much that I really wouldn't mind upgrading in sennheiser's line. But 400+ is a lot lol, even with amazon warehouse deals

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 16
If still a valid thread, the hd650 is very different from the hd598. The 650 is now my second favorite headphone but it is darker than the hd598. What about both of your headphones do you like?

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 16
  Man I really want to save up enough for the hd 650's. I enjoy the hd 598's so much that I really wouldn't mind upgrading in sennheiser's line. But 400+ is a lot lol, even with amazon warehouse deals

Keep your eyes open on Amazon and ebay.  A poster on the 650 thread got a brand new set just the other day for $300.  I bought mine used off ebay for $265 from a guy who said he only had them a couple months. Sure enough he emailed me the original receipt from ebay and he had only paid $315 for them in May, latest model in black inner and outer boxes. So be patient, you can get them for your price and they sound awesome!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/29010#post_11927316

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 16
Hi guys. So it's been a while and I've since upgraded. 
I now have the akg k701's that I got for a pretty good price.
I actually got the hd 650's on ebay for 265 at a pretty good condition (coincidence right?)
I've also gotten the magni 2 amplifier along with a modi 2.
I think this is possibly going to be my end game setup. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back