I have an old sony psx-6 and I'm wondering whether to replace it.
Dec 21, 2006 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hellacious D

100+ Head-Fier
I have an old sony psx-6 like the one pictured here: http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/al...hp?pic_id=1726. A while back, the needle broke and I'm trying to decide wheter to replace the whole thing, or try to get a good cartridge for it. What do you guys suggest?

Dec 21, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 14
Afair, that's quite a good direct drive with quite a good medium heavy arm. If both still work nicely, I'd recommend to keep the thingy and just go for a new cartridge - or maybe even just a replacement needle (depending on what cartridge is already mounted (can't tell from the pic...), stylus availability...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 14
How would the psx6 compare to a pro-ject 2 xpression? Also, how much could each of those tables be upgraded before I'd be better off buying a better turntable all together?

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 14
br: I'm not sure, whether a Grado would such a good idea, as I've read that these are a bit prone to pick up magnetic interference. Hence I'd rather tend to recommend something else...

H_D: Drive-wise I'd expect your Sony and the Pro-Ject to be about equally good, arm-wise the Pro-Ject might be a bit better. But not buying the Xpression puts you some 500 bucks ahead, for which you could actually buy several nice cartridges that outplay the Pro-Ject's stock Sumiko Oyster...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 14
What cartridge would you suggest, then? Also, do you know what kind of mount the x6 uses? How could I figure that out?
Thanks

Dec 23, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 14
H_D: Should be 1/2" mount - but I don't remember, whether the headshell is removable, too. Regarding cartridge recommendations, do you have a pricerange in mind - and what phono amp are you going to use it with?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 23, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 14
Right now I'm using an integrated Kenwood KA-9100, but I'd love to get a new phono if you think that'll help.

Dec 23, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 14
H_D: Your Kenwood is a nice vintage bomber - a new phono stage doesn't seem necessary, unless the 9100 wouldn't be in good shape anymore. If you want a priceworthy start (maybe in order to verify, whether everything still works fine, before investing more), I'd recommend to check the Audio-Technica AT120E.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 24, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 14
Excellent, but there's one other problem I forgot to mention. One of the feet on the ps x6 is broken. Been searching around, but I can't find another one. Is there any way I could replace all of them with a different kind of foot?

Dec 25, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #11 of 14
When I read PSX I thought about the Playstation...hah.

Sorry nothing constructive to add.
plainface.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellacious D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(...) Is there any way I could replace all of them with a different kind of foot?

Sure, there are a lot of different tuning feet available. Did you already check, how the original foot was fixed? Central screw?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back