I have an M-Audio Revolution - Do I need an amp?
May 21, 2008 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Shlonglor

100+ Head-Fier
I have an M-Audio Revolution 5.1, which is great - and I know it has a built in amp for the headphone output.

I have the Sennheiser HD280s connected to it. Overall, I'm please with the sound, but my wallet's been growing in size lately and this looks like a good way to deflate it.

The impedance on the 280s isn't that high AFAIK (64ohm), and they clearly get loud enough without going anywhere near the maximum volume level and produce clear sound (without introducing any noise I can hear) at the maximum volume I can tolerate.

However, I've been reading about the "veil" problem in the neighboring forum, and also had a chance to listen to Ultrasone phones (not sure which model, but it's more or less on the same price range or a bit more, and also a closed over ear model), which produced a more crisp sound which is a bit missing from mine. It felt like everything (mainly the higher range) is more pronounced. On the other hand, the 280s give a better feeling of "having the music inside my brain", which I like - the Ultrasone provided music which sounded a bit farther away.

I want to upgrade something (amp, phones, or both) to get similarly styled, ear covering phones, which produce the same "warm", in-my-brain sound, but have less of that "I'm listening to the music behind a thin wall" effect. That's not to say that they're not wonderful, but I have enough money in my hand to warrant an upgrade.
biggrin.gif

I've been considering going the easy route and getting higher end senn phones, but if they have the same problem OR it can be corrected with mine with an amp, I'd like to know...

Any help appreciated!

[sorry about the double post]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back