I have ADHD
Aug 28, 2005 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

South_Korean

1000+ Head-Fier
It took me a while to finally take this test to find out. cost a @#$% load to get tested. only 2 sessions and that cost more than a grand. but they were like 3-5 hours long. now im on a prescription drug; ridilin or something, i dont have the capsule to read the name with me right now. i dont feel much different, doctor might have to up the does. does anyone else have this problem? how do you deal with it? did the medicine make a huge difference for you?

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 18
I've always had ADD, and no meds I've tried have helped. Some had some ugly side effects as well
frown.gif
I've learned to live with it the best I can. Be careful with your prescription....

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 18
Saturnine: LOL ya i will.

Nicola: well considering my school grade are closer to the other end i dont think i do lol.

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
It took me a while to finally take this test to find out. cost a @#$% load to get tested. only 2 sessions and that cost more than a grand. but they were like 3-5 hours long. now im on a prescription drug; ridilin or something, i dont have the capsule to read the name with me right now. i dont feel much different, doctor might have to up the does. does anyone else have this problem? how do you deal with it? did the medicine make a huge difference for you?

i have add.

I take 54 mg concerta almost everyday. It's not a children's illness, though most adults are reluctant to get tested, it's quite common and usually not treated, though treatment in adults is far more controversial then with children.

I can go without medication, but i perform better with it, yet... It's got side effects, these are decisions you must make. Just to mention i tried 3 types of medicaiton before i found something i liked...

The way to deal with this sort of problem is to talk to a psychiatrist and consider options, also there are other contributing factors like diet, necessary sleep, and excercise that can help with these problems..

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 18
Where does all this ADD come from? It must be all the different media thats present today, one doesn't know where to turn next

I'm afraid I have it too, but I'm not going to get checked anytime soon. What seem to be the strongest symptoms of it?

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
Where does all this ADD come from? It must be all the different media thats present today, one doesn't know where to turn next

I'm afraid I have it too, but I'm not going to get checked anytime soon. What seem to be the strongest symptoms of it?

it's said to be caused by a deficency in necessary neurostransmitters that "normal" brains should have, though it's also considered psychological as well (not totally chemical)... There is alot of ways of looking at it, no one agrees, and different medications approach the problem different, e.g Straterra approaches the neurotransmitter outlook, causing the brain to secret more of it, while stuff like ritalin, concerta, adderall are methamphetmatine derived.

It's true that it's often overdiagnosed or misdiagnosed nowadays, and often used as an excuse for poor performance, but it's also showing to be more prevlant then ever considering now psychiatrists are beocming more efficent in spotting and understanding the problem.

The easiest way to look at it is by observing it's effects on behavoir and performance, if it's reall bad (for children) it's usualyl considered necessary to medicate, so usually insurance companies provide adequatre coverage, whereas with adults it's more controversial and as an adult i can tell you it's a pita getting insurance to cover my medication. Yet if you have had syptoms as a child, it's most likely to remain with you for the rest of your life, but some people may become efficeny without medication, though still suffer the syptoms... Yet it's definatley not a problem that just goes away.

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 18
MJG, you a doctor or something? lol. yeah i havent felt/seen a difference yet, just when i started taking the ritalin, i felt nausious. that was only fomr half a pill. i dont think the dosage is enough for me though. after a few more days ill have to talk to my doctor.

Aug 28, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 18
You may not notice a difference, but ask the people around you. I know a friend who takes some medication now where he didn't used to and I like him a lot better. He's really a very nice guy, but all those years the ADHD made him really annoying.

Aug 28, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
MJG, you a doctor or something? lol. yeah i havent felt/seen a difference yet, just when i started taking the ritalin, i felt nausious. that was only fomr half a pill. i dont think the dosage is enough for me though. after a few more days ill have to talk to my doctor.

I've been diagnosed with ADD since i was like 6, i'm definatley not a doctor man... ; )

How long have you been on this medication? Might take about a month to get used to it. Personally i feel ritalin sucks because of dosing multipile times a day, concerta is very similar except uses a time release so only one pill a day. It has 2 peaks and if you take it at the right time it will work out perfect.

Aug 28, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 18
I was diagnosed in 9th grade.

I suffer through it today, but have learned to adapt my daily routine.

I took medication in college (Adderall 15mg) so that I could sit through class. I would have never made it through class if I hadn't.

if I had a desk job I would probably take it.....but it was starting to affect my daily life.....sexual function (due to a raised blood preasure) and I noticed that I used to grind my teeth. not to mention the lack of ability to put on any wieght.

I cant tell you how well the drug worked for me. It was really like a light switch. I took it and I had the concentration of a monk, and I have the (extremely complex) origami to prove it. I also used to be able to get through an entire NYT crossword. now I cant even get through a corner......but I've learned to enjoy other things.

ADD is not a disease or a disorder, it's a differnet way of processing thoughts and your surroundings. I figure that I take in a lot more than most. I have learned to filter what is important and what isn't.

But I'm still the life of the party. I have a ton of friends, and they always marvel at my ability to do fifteen things at once.

Enjoy your ADD.......learn to nurture it. But dont think that your not normal. You're just differnet.

It's a blast man.

oh yeah, and dont be affraid to tell your Dr. that your drugs dont work. Ritilin didn't do a thing for me, but the amphetamines worked like a charm. Adderall was best, but you may have to find a Dr. that will give them to you. They're off label for adults. I found a Psychiatrist that would perscribe them to me. My regular physician wouldn't because he had no idea what he was doing. Expect your Dr. to have no idea what will work for you. Try a couple and work with what you feel is best.

Have fun with this. I sure did.

BILL

Aug 28, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
Ritilin didn't do a thing for me, but the amphetamines worked like a charm.
BILL

I'm pretty sure ritalin is amphetamine derived. Though not as advanced as aderall, it's alot older, one of the earliest ADD medications available for a long time.

Aug 28, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 18
You are correct sir. I'm sorry, that was misleading.

Adderall is just both "l" and "d" forms of amphetamine. I guess no one realy knows which one will work best on either person, so they made a cocktail.

Aug 29, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg

How long have you been on this medication? Might take about a month to get used to it.

ive only been on it for almost a week. im gona try a full pill tomorrow. i see very small differences with half.

Aug 29, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 18
My 'lil sister was prescribed Ritalin in the 70's for 'hyperactivity' as it was called then - It's been around for an age, too high a dose and it will suck the life out of you to an almost catatonic like state...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back