I have a question about the FS section
Jun 11, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 29
I'm puzzled as to where it says it is "illegal" to charge a buyer for a PayPal fee gross-up. Can you point to anywhere in the PayPal terms of use where one agrees to such?

My understanding is that on eBay it is against their terms of service to list an ad and charge a fee for PayPal usage. But that is a different situation.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 29
4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

It comes from their user agreement, correct me if I'm wrong on my previous statements......I'm not a lawyer

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #18 of 29
I've seen this too. Though it is common practice, charging a PayPal surcharge is in violation of their terms of service. I'm not about to report anyone, but i won't pay it. Either price the auction higher, or eat the fee for the convenience of paypal.

Jun 11, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 29
If you have any kind of paypal account BUT a personal, you will receive the paypal fee on all incoming payments. For the record, paypal fees are NOT 3%, I don't know where that number ever came from. They are 2.9% + $0.30.

I admit to charging for it myself sometimes, but I don't do it all the time. And I have even been known to offer covering the paypal fee when sending a paypal payment sometimes.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 29
well when the item FS is around $2000, like a notebook I understand ppl. don't want to eat $60 but it is still against their terms and conditions, if paypal can do anything about this IDK, I doubt Head-fi could be held responsible but other online forums seem to think so.....hence why I made this thread.

Jun 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 29
Well, technically people could just work around it by pricing their items with the fee included, instead of stating it separately.

Anyways, I thought you can't accept CC payments on Personal accounts?

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah...I was right. If you have a personal account, the only time you are hit with a fee for receiving money is if the source of that money was a credit card or debit card. I typically only ask for 3% and then eat the other 1.9% when a buyer pays with a c.c. as the 1.9% is what the fee would be if I had a Premier/Business account.

Clear as mud?
wink.gif

Apparantly he can.

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitcity22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

It comes from their user agreement, correct me if I'm wrong on my previous statements......I'm not a lawyer

Interesting, I hadn't read the terms of service, but your understanding of the provision is exactly correct. Sellers making buyers pay for PayPal is a breach of their terms of service. I suppose if one does not wish to pay PayPal fees, one can bring up the issue with sellers or PayPal itself. As to whether that will get you, the buyer, the opportunity to purchase the goods sans paying the PayPal fee, that depends on your negotiating ability with the seller more than anything else.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #26 of 29
Hmm... I checked the site and it states "Limited" for Personal accounts accepting credit/debit cards. What is restrictions are they?

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #27 of 29
A lot of mis-information in this thread. If you have a personal account, you CAN NOT receive credit card or debit card payments. If somebody sends you one, the payment is put on hold until you upgrade your account. The standard paypal fees for a normal premier account are 2.9% + $0.30 for $0.00 - $3,000.00, 2.5% + $0.30 for $3,000.01 - $10,000.00, 2.2% + $0.30 for $10,000.01 - $100,000.00 and 1.9% + $0.30 for greater than $100,000.00.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #28 of 29
Yes you can. As a work related bonus, my boss sent me $200 via PayPal secured by a Credit Card. I was hit with about a 5% fee, but I was certainly able to accept the money. I have only a personal account. Per PayPal, Personal Account holders are allowed up to 5 CC transactions per 12 month period.

Perhaps this is causing the confusion...taken from the PayPal Fees page....

** Personal accounts may not receive payments funded by credit card, debit card or Buyer Credit for eBay or eBay Express transactions without upgrading to Premier or Business accounts.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #29 of 29
ecclesand is right. As a personal account you can accept 5 CC transactions within 12 months at a 5% fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back