I have a question about the FS section
Jun 11, 2007 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

mitcity22

New Head-Fier
I looked for a forum feedback area but couldn't find one...so this thread may not be in the right place if there is a forum feedback sub-forum.

Ok first off I think it is a great idea to make a 50 post limit to deter scammers. My question pertains to paypal and why everyone says ad 3% if the buyer uses paypal when paypal says it is illegal for sellers to ad the 3% to sales. I can see why paypal would do this b/c a buyer would rather not ad this "tax" and may not use paypal b/c of this.

I ask this b/c all the other forums I frequent don't let sellers charge different prices for different methods of payment. Why does head-fi???

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitcity22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question pertains to paypal and why everyone says ad 3% if the buyer uses paypal

I think that this premise of your question is flawed. I have done a number of transactions on Head-Fi, and I have never charged an extra fee for Paypal when selling, or paid an extra fee for Paypal when buying.

Regardless, I think that the answer to your question is that the purchase price is negotiated between buyer and seller, and Head-Fi does not interfere in that private transaction.

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 29
well i'm not saying everybody does this, but I have seen numerous threads (in the short time i've been here) that do say add 3%.

Yeah I figured the answer was a simple "Head-Fi does not interfere in that private transaction."

I doubt paypal would or could do anything anyways.

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 29
Typically, the 3% is added if the buyer plans to use Paypal backed by a credit card. A seller will request this additional fee to offset the extra fees that Paypal will charge the seller for receiving this money backed by a c.c. vs. an instant transfer (from bank account).

I think this is how it works...hell, I haven't figured it out myself yet....
blink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #8 of 29
Exactly, which is why sellers want the 3% from buyers who pay using Paypal, because when hit with the fee, they won't receive the amount they were looking to sell the item for.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 29
The link works fine for me. You might need to be logged into paypal to use it though I would not think so as it is a "fee faq"

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Typically, the 3% is added if the buyer plans to use Paypal backed by a credit card. A seller will request this additional fee to offset the extra fees that Paypal will charge the seller for receiving this money backed by a c.c. vs. an instant transfer (from bank account).

I think this is how it works...hell, I haven't figured it out myself yet....
blink.gif

Yeah I don't know either
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 29
Yeah...I was right. If you have a personal account, the only time you are hit with a fee for receiving money is if the source of that money was a credit card or debit card. I typically only ask for 3% and then eat the other 1.9% when a buyer pays with a c.c. as the 1.9% is what the fee would be if I had a Premier/Business account.

Clear as mud?
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 29
Is there any online alternative to PayPal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back