I have a PPA - what's the next step?
Apr 29, 2011 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sygyzy

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I primarily use a PPA and I really really like it. It looks nice, always works, has a bass boost, and drives all my headphones. Anyway, lately I've been wondering what could be better. So what could be better? Obviously the PPA2 then following that the M3, right? I don't know much about amp design so when I am asking for an upgrade, I am asking from design/technology point of view, not really from a subjective aspect like "this amp sounds warmer."

Anyway, what would you recommend for a fan of the PPA but wants a better amp. $500 or under please. Or rather than put a set price, let's talk value or bang for the buck. I am not going to upgrade to a PPA2 and have to deal with selling my amp and finding a used PPA2 if the gains are only marginal. 

I am really looking for a solid-state amp here but if you must, tube is ok too. I have nothing against them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
I think you'll need a Beta 22 to get a significant improvement, but I may be wrong.

I hope that's not true. A Beta 22 is like $1800 or something isn't it? However, if that is true, I'll stick with my PPA. That must be saying a lot that in all these years the next improvement comes with a $1300 (ish) premium.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I hope that's not true. A Beta 22 is like $1800 or something isn't it? However, if that is true, I'll stick with my PPA. That must be saying a lot that in all these years the next improvement comes with a $1300 (ish) premium.

IIRC A Beta22 can go from anywhere from $600 to $1400 typically, depending on the configuration. The PPA is by no means a bad amp, though, and the M^3 might not be a great leap. You might just want to sit on your money for now.

May 1, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 7
 fQuote:
Hi,

I primarily use a PPA and I really really like it. It looks nice, always works, has a bass boost, and drives all my headphones. Anyway, lately I've been wondering what could be better. So what could be better? Obviously the PPA2 then following that the M3, right? I don't know much about amp design so when I am asking for an upgrade, I am asking from design/technology point of view, not really from a subjective aspect like "this amp sounds warmer."

Anyway, what would you recommend for a fan of the PPA but wants a better amp. $500 or under please. Or rather than put a set price, let's talk value or bang for the buck. I am not going to upgrade to a PPA2 and have to deal with selling my amp and finding a used PPA2 if the gains are only marginal. 

I am really looking for a solid-state amp here but if you must, tube is ok too. I have nothing against them.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

i wouldn't put the M^3 ahead of the PPAv2, at least from a technological point of view. in terms of design, they share more similarities than differences.

considering the bang for buck nature of DIY builds, i doubt you would find a significant upgrade in that price bracket. i haven't heard the original PPA, but i could easily live with the v2 as my only headphone amp. with the swapping out of some parts and some adjustments, it can also be slightly tailored to suit your needs or tastes.

with all the amps in the marketplace these days, you could end up finding something you prefer over the PPA. but better? it's pretty hard to criticize the design team behind the PPA.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi,

When I posted this last year, there were no real conclusive answers as to what a good upgrade to my PPA would be. Now, over a year has passed and I am wondering if the answer has changed? My idea is that since technology and designs are always improving, surely the money spent on a PPA years ago would buy a better amp today. So what can I get for $300-500 that would be a noticeable improvement over my PPA. I prefer a solid state amp but tube would work as well. This would be a high usage amp (on 8 hours a day, at work).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back