I have a manufactured jacketed cable .162 diameter inches, I need builder
Feb 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

keithhr1

New Head-Fier
I have some manufactured audio cable that has an outside diameter of .162 inches. The cable has a polyethylene outsidejacket with a copper spiral shield, with two center conductors and the usual filler to makethe cable round. It is a standard build but I don't have the skill necessary to put mini xlrconnectors on one end and the and the NP3X neutrik 1/4" stereo phone plug on the otherend. I like the fact that it creates it's own strain relief.
You may have access to other, better parts, but I want to build this for my akg 702 phones. also have the Sennheiser red and black plugs that fit the 600 series headphones and I would
like build two each ( so I can have a backup cable for each) The ideal length for me is 11 feet,so I would be sending you 4 pieces of this jacketed cable that would each be 11 feet. I know that
some people connect the shielding on one end , some on both ends, I presume both ends is better, but have no experience in this regard. My inexperience building cables in this way would make thisreally tedious and my lack of experience would result in probably a lousy cable construct.
If I can afford to have you build 4 cables, I can supply connectors, or if you have better than the standard switchcraft and neutrik, (which is probably ok) I could go for that. So if you could give me pricing on building 2 cables for the AKG K-702 headphones and two cables for the Sennheiser 600 series headphones,( I have the headphone plugs, red and black) for the sennheisers. Please contact me so we can discuss price for your services

here's what I need, if I can afford two sets, great, if not one set each
2 cables mini xlr to 1/4" phone plug for akg K-702
2 cables sennheiser custom 2 prong jacks to 1/4" phone plug

please email me khrob@comcast.net or pm me here

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 3
A two conductor cable will not work for the HD600 cables as you would need signal and return for each earcup. You could use one cable for each cup, but then your cord will be quite thick with the two cables together. For the AKG cable, it could work if the spiral shield is used as the ground, but it definitely isn't standard practice for headphone cables, and might have more adverse effects, but I am not sure. In general, the shield shouldn't be part of the audio path.

You could strip out the conductors of all your cables and then make two braided cables. You don't really need the shielding for a headphone cable. And when I say you, I mean whoever you get to build the cables. Good luck.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 3
also, there is no way to connect the shield at both end on a sennheiser cable. if you are using it balanced that is and it would be a total PITA to try to connect the shield and ground wire to one pin in the cardas connectors under any circumstance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back