I have a few questions about setting up a computer as source audio system.
Nov 25, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #16 of 19
I am another one who thinks that many of the moderately priced Intel based Win 7 laptops in the HP Pavilion line offer excellent computer audio performance for the money, especially when paired with a decent external DAC & amp.  I don't hear the fan on mine at all (even though it's spinning) when I'm listening to music through speakers or especially headphones, even open ones.  With Foobar and the WASAPI plug in, I get zero audio glitches unless my computer is doing something else that is extremely demanding (e.g., more than 50% CPU load) and even then, any glitches are relatively rare.  I normally can go many days of listening > 6 hours a day w/o hearing any glitches at all.  On my machine, the WASAPI plug in really is effective at keeping the flow of audio data isolated from other things the PC may be doing.

On the other hand, I previously had a very expensive Lenovo Thinkpad that was so glitchy due to high DPC latency issues, it was virtually unusable for serious music listening.

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #17 of 19
I have a laptop music system and am very happy with it. It happens to be an HP pavilion. I use it on the road (coffee shop or out of town) or at home (hooked to desktop dac & amp). As mentioned before, you could get by with less than a laptop, but I use mine for other purposes too. I run an astronomy program on it when I’m at the telescope in the back yard, surf and email when at Starbucks, etc.

Some lessons I have learned:
If you listen to closed back cans, forget all the talk about ss drives and fan noise – doesn’t matter.

Unlike my desktop pc, I can’t hear the hd in my laptop. I put a half TB drive in the second drive bay ($50) and it is the music library.

I listen to open backed cans. At home I can occasionally hear the fan in the laptop between songs. But I can also sometimes hear the heater or a/c come on. It’s rare that I have no ambient noise when/wherever I’m listening.

I have WMP, winamp, foobar, mediamonkey, xmplay, and a dozen others. For ultimate power and portability I like xmplay. As small or smaller than foobar, free, has a wasapi plugin, solid as a rock, plays internet radio, and doesn’t require installing and doesn’t touch your registry. It resides on a flash drive in my usb port. I can pull it out and stick it in someone else’s computer and it plays instantly. For the geek in me, I like foobar. It’s like a Lego set, and everyone has the parts. Wasapi, skins beyond imagination, everything. Fun to play with and sounds perfect. It would have been my primary music player, but I figured out how to get gapless out of Mediamonkey before I could figure out how to get imbedded album art out of foobar. Both are great. Mediamonkey is super at tagging, correcting spelling and case errors, and library management in general. It will naturally ignore ‘the’ so The Beatles lists between Abba and Cars and not next to The Rolling Stones. Winamp and vst plugins, too.

If you are a geek, strip all the unused processes and options from your operating system.

If you are using usb out for your dac, the usb port you use can make a difference. My laptop has 4 usb ports, but seems to have only 2 usb controllers; each controlling 2 ports. I was getting some noise until I figured out the port I plugged my dac into was controlled by the same controller as the port I plugged my usb mobile broadband into. Switching ports fixed the problem. Disable wireless at home. (You may need it at Starbucks.) When offline, disable your antivirus s/w and automatic program updates.

I started with earbuds from the builtin soundcard and then switched to a portable dac and amp. I already had a mini3 hooked to my Sansa Clip, so I bought a gamma1 dac. Both are the size of a pack of cigarettes. They go in my laptop case when I’m travelling along with headphones.. Now it’s laptop to dac to mini3 to grados. The amp does double duty; laptop or in my pocket with clip when walking.

Of course, I now have another dac at home and an Eddie Current tube amp that’s the size of the battery in my Honda. But that’s what Head-Fi does to you  =^)

Don’t know if any of this helps, but . . .

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #18 of 19
Really no need to go uber quiet with totally passive system. My htpc has two very low rpm fans and virtually silent. 2.5" HD for boot, and 5400rpm WD green drive for music. You don't hear any HD clicking or whine. very very low whirr but it's no louder than a CD spinning away.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #19 of 19

Quote:
I kind of have to take exception to this.  I own a Macbook and love it.  However, I discovered something interesting this year. If I had speakers connected to the headphone jack (1/8"), everything sounded pretty good playing through iTunes.  But, if I booted up my Windows 7 virtual machine and played the same song, through the same headphone jack and speakers, the clarity was amazing.  I absolutely couldn't believe it, and my "Mac is always better for music" bias was deeply offended.

I agree with this. I've seen the same. However under 10.6.5 I'm finally getting good results if I have the Mac generate the output at 96 KHz (i.e. it does the upconversion). I'm not sure quite why. This is an Arcam 250, which is certainly capable of handling 44.1 KHz itself. Who knows what is going on with sound processing in iTunes and OS X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back