I have a chance to pick up a sony mz-n707
Apr 26, 2003 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bthorny

100+ Head-Fier
The price is $139, target has them on clearance brand new.

Is this a good deal?

Also, is it fairlly easy to get MP3's to the Minidisc player from the computer, apparently some have had issues with this?

Thanks for your input and happy listening.

Apr 26, 2003 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 13
That's a good price for the n707. Gettin MP3s is very easy with a PC onto the MD. The software it comes with it pretty straight forward and simple to use. As you get used to the player tho you'll start looking around at third party netMD programs that are better than the one sony provides.

Apr 26, 2003 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 13
I've got an MZ-N707 and I'm very happy with it. Wow, that's a great price!

Apr 26, 2003 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 13
I just picked this up, just as a note they do have the MZ-N505
for $90 which is also a good deal but, I liked the accessories that came with the MZ-N707 and the MZ-N505 also lack concer?lecture recordability.

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, that is a great price. Best price I found on the net so far was $169. Of course then you have shipping too. I've sort of been looking at the 707, but I found this on minidisc.org..
Quote:

Additional features over MZ-N505: microphone input, remote control (with editing capability), charging stand, included car-adapter kit (via dummy cassette).

I don't much care about playing it across a tape deck or need a stand. Microphone is nice, but for $50 more..
Does anybody know if there is a difference in recording quality from the 505 to the 707? That is mainly what I care about. I guess a pretty lcd on the remote is cool, but again.. $50 diff...

Apr 27, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 13
Maybe the US models are different, but in Canada the remote doesn't have an LCD screen.

May 1, 2003 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Well, apparently I was mistaken or the pic I saw was misleading. The 707 does not seem to have the display on the remote.

bthorny-
Thanks for the tip man. I ran out and the first Target was completely out. The next one had only the display 707 left and I found out after getting 25% (since it was missing most stuff), that it was a dummy unit!
mad.gif
So I went back and got the 505 for $90. Nice. I didn't much care for the car adapter nor will I ever use the mic input, but did like the blue color better and the remote could be cool I guess.

BTW - If anybody needs (or wants) a charging station for their mz-n707, you can have mine. It does not fit the 505.
Just message me. First come... you know the drill.

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 13
looks like I may have a taker on the stand. I'll update as soon as I go to mail it out so you all know not to bother if you were going to...

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 13
May 1, 2003 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 13
Aaah, thanks for the tip. I may have to do that at some point. Those are <purdy>. I was happy with the deal. I've already created two discs. What a device. I was able to do a bunch of songs in full stereo and a few in lp2, and categorize em in nice folders. Very nice interface the software is too! I'm gonna like this new toy!
tongue.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2003 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 13
Some trivia:

The N505 and N707 have the same circuit board.

If you would like to record lectures on it, you can get a preamp or a mic with a built-in preamp for use with the N505.

Nice buy... I got one a while back, liked it enough to get one for my spousal equivalent on uBid when they were $82. Still think of getting a Sharp sometime to see the differences, but am really enjoying the N505.

May 1, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 13
I am really enjoying mine as well. So, as I thought, the 707 really just is a 505 with a bunch of extra externals I don't care about and a mic in which I'll likely never miss!

Thanks for the comfort guys! Now I just got my Koss DSC/35's today in the mail. Can't wait to hear em through it.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back