i have a chance to buy a new karma... should i?
Aug 8, 2007 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Kuroyume

100+ Head-Fier
after endless problems with my latest dap purchase (iriver x20 4gb) i ended up returning it... and searching for something else to buy i found a store that had the h320 and the karma still in stock...

i was gonna get the h320, but now it is gone... so i am left with the karma... however, i have read that the hard drive tends to fail, and i think here they only sell them with a 3 or 6 month warranty... plus, it might be hard to find service at all...

so, anyone here can comment on how long the hd can be expected to live?

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 14
well,i had my karma for 2 1/2 years before i dropped it and it started playing up..

luck of the draw, but i'd say the HDD issues were vastly overplayed

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Another thing to consider is the rechargeable battery. If it's the original battery, that would make it pretty old. Lithium batteries lose capacity the older they get, whether they've been used or not.

Rick

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 14
I've had my Karma for about four years now and have only had HDD issues once or twice. It's still going strong though and I can still get almost 10 hours on the battery.

Aug 8, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 14
I've had a Karma for a year, got it used off *bay. It does need to be reset with a pin every once in a while, especially if you handle it rough. If you don't shake it very much it should not hang.
I had to 'hit' my Karma a couple of times when the reset button didn't help as discussed in http://forums-riovolution.com/index.php?showtopic=4109.
But overall a great dap. There are new replacement batteries available online.
I'm debating whether to install a 60GB hard drive and keep using it, or just get a new, larger player.
Alex.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuroyume /img/forum/go_quote.gif
link to the store

however, they only ship to Chile as far as i know... the price is something around 200 bucks...

mad.gif
damn, only to chile, had a look, and they are 129 $ which is only about £70 GBP, or is that like a chilean dollar? ughh..?

oh well i couldnt make out the language. thanks anyway for posting the link, will continue to look on ebay for one.

Aug 9, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 14
Kuroyume -- if the Karma is the only player you will be using, and you intend to take it with you everywhere, you might experience some problems. Some people would have it lock up while they were walking down the street listening to it. Some people had very few problems (and some people were better than others at do-it-yourself technical fixes). I think the situation is made complicated by the age of the built-in battery (as mentioned above) and the non-existence of Rio as an ongoing company for factory support/repair/replacement.

This is a good opportunity, if you can afford it, to grab a "relic" of a recent (but at the same time, it seems long ago) era. I think of the Karma as being like a classic Rolls-Royce luxury car -- not really essential or practical, currently, but used in certain ways, a great thing to own and use.

I might say that, if you use the Karma around home, and use a "replaceable," relatively inexpensive flash player while on the go, you will get the most out of your Karma, all things considered. And there is a lot to be gotten out of it.

Don't get me wrong -- I've had a Karma two and a half years, and it's still a very impressive device ... but I think it might be a risky choice as a portable "only player." I'm sure I'm paranoid, but I don't take it anywhere ... which of course in many ways defeats the purpose of having a portable player. But to me, it has never seemed all that portable, based on the interesting threads on the "riovolution" site and based on the availability of more easily pocketed flash players.

I'm not the type who needs to have thousands of songs with me at all times ... in my case, having hundreds is usually enough. Your case is likely different, so base your decision on what your needs are. I hope you get something you like.

Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB (out on short-term loan)
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Aug 9, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 14
LaBreaHead nailed it. I've been using my last remaining Karma as a desktop jukebox only and it works fine most of the time. After 2 years of going through 3 replacements/refurbished units and then a new one - all from Rio - I'm treating this last one like a baby.

In the few months I've owned them, my H120 and H140 have had zero Karma/HD type incidences even though I am very active with them. Find one of those instead.

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by seldom_used /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are new replacement batteries available online.
I'm debating whether to install a 60GB hard drive and keep using it, or just get a new, larger player.
Alex.

Could you point out to replacement batteries and hard drives online?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 14
I would buy it and treat it as a collectors item. Then buy something else to use everyday. But then, I am not inclined to sell my DAPs!

cheers
Simon

Aug 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you point out to replacement batteries and hard drives online?

Thanks in advance.

Look for this *bay item: 320140677995 (The forum filters out direct links to auctions). I'd get this one as it's brand new and full capacity. And this page seems to refer to it favourably (scroll down to the end). Original batteries do come up once in a while.
HDDs are harder to find as the models with Karma's IDE connector have been disco'd. This is a 40GB: http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=465314

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back