I have $500...
Apr 3, 2004 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ProParadox

100+ Head-Fier
I felt the best place to put this was in the headphone section, however, it ecompasses a broader range of equipment.

Basically, as a poor soon to be college student, I am looking for the best bang for the buck setup for $500. This includes: Headphones, Amp, Soundcard. For $500, which combination of these three will give me the best overall performance and listening enjoyment?

I've been researching sound cards, and the Audigy in my current system needs to be given the boot. I look admiringly at the RME Digi 96/8 PAD, and realize it is far beyond my price range...

EDIT: Amplifiers... I'm all for DIY audio, and am very proficient with a soldering iron. So, DIY solutions are an option!

I'm looking for components that arent significantly bottlenecked in sound quality by one another. I.E. Sennheiser 650's powered by an SB live.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 29
what kind of music do you like? do you know if you want open or closed cans?

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 29
I have very broad tastes in music. I dont like rap/heavy heavy metal/country. Otherwise, I like it all.

I have no preference on open or closed. I will be using these in a dorm room, so I dont think isolation is super important.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by ProParadox
I have no preference on open or closed. I will be using these in a dorm room, so I dont think isolation is super important.

hahahhahhahahha.
evil_smiley.gif

(sorry my dorm was party central back in the day)

i'd recommend a sonica, a meta42 or pimeta, and a grado sr-225.

maybe you could squeeze in some ety er-6 or shure e3 for a closed alternative.

that's just my opinion though...

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 29
Pending goose's questions, I think for soundcards you shoud look at either the Chaintech AV710 (great value for only $25, competes with th $99 Revo for instance), or the $99 Terratec EWX 24/96, if you can find it, since they are becoming increasingly rare as they have been discontinued. Both of these cards could also possibly be modded for better sound.

I really don't like the PIMETA amp that will likely be recommended to you a lot, every one I have heard has had nasty colorations of one kind or another. I would say to go for the Gilmore Lite, for $250, which also has a very high bang/buck factor. Or you could built it from the kit and save $50. It sounds as good as a non-diamond buffer PPA IMO.

That leaves you $150-275, for cans, which leaves you with any number of options:

Open/laid-back: Senn HD580/600, AKG K501
Open/more forward: Senn HD595
Open/very forward: Grado SR225
Open/basshead: Beyer DT990
Open/groovalizer: Beyer DT531 or AKG K240S
Closed/forward: Audio-Techinica A900
Closed/less forward: AKG K271S
Closed/basshead: Beyer DT770

Or you could buy two lower-end pairs with different flavors, like a Grado SR80 and a Senn HD555. It all depends on what kind of sound you want and what you listen to.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 29
i guess i'll add that i have a meta42 that i very much enjoy but i've never heard the pimeta.

iron_dreamer, you have any experience with the original meta42? i find mine very clean and clear, maybe to the point being too dry and lifeless. colored isn't really a word that comes to mind.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 29
I think iron_dreamer's probably given you the best advice so far, unfortunately I haven't heard many of the components listed so I can't agree/disagree with his stance on the pimeta.

Beyerdynamic's DT880 might also be in your price range for headphones.

DAMN. I've never heard the AV710 before but I'd grab one in an instant if I didn't already have my M-Audio Audiophile card...

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 29
Grado SR-225 + Grado RA-1

Headphones :-
------------------

Grado SR-225
Sennheiser HD-580

and for a no amp solution - Grado SR-60

Amps :-
---------

Grado RA-1
CMOY - sounds very nice afaik
CHA-47
META-42
Mint

Or a used PPA and a Grado SR-225 is the best route...you can do that for under $500.00.

Get good IC's as well...

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

I have very broad tastes in music. I dont like rap/heavy heavy metal/country. Otherwise, I like it all.

Surely you have certain genres of music you listen to more than others? This would help, considering a lot of headphones, while sounding good with many types of music, will really shine in a particular genre, and be somewhat mediocre in others.

If I had to start over again with your budget, I'd probably get the AV710 with a Gilmore Lite. I don't know what phones I'd be getting, though
frown.gif
. Probably get my groovalizers again (K240S), the A900, or the 595, under the assumption that they'd be good all-rounders.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
Pending goose's questions, I think for soundcards you shoud look at either the Chaintech AV710 (great value for only $25, competes with th $99 Revo for instance), or the $99 Terratec EWX 24/96, if you can find it, since they are becoming increasingly rare as they have been discontinued. Both of these cards could also possibly be modded for better sound.

I really don't like the PIMETA amp that will likely be recommended to you a lot, every one I have heard has had nasty colorations of one kind or another. I would say to go for the Gilmore Lite, for $250, which also has a very high bang/buck factor. Or you could built it from the kit and save $50. It sounds as good as a non-diamond buffer PPA IMO.

That leaves you $150-275, for cans, which leaves you with any number of options:

Open/laid-back: Senn HD580/600, AKG K501
Open/more forward: Senn HD595
Open/very forward: Grado SR225
Open/basshead: Beyer DT990
Open/groovalizer: Beyer DT531 or AKG K240S
Closed/forward: Audio-Techinica A900
Closed/less forward: AKG K271S
Closed/basshead: Beyer DT770

Or you could buy two lower-end pairs with different flavors, like a Grado SR80 and a Senn HD555. It all depends on what kind of sound you want and what you listen to.

It's interesting that you replied, maybe its your avatar that attracts my attention, but I've always found your posts to be extremely informative. (been lurking for quite a while
wink.gif
) I thank you for that.

Now, I read that the Chaintech card does not support ASIO. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt this only affect me if I am recording?

Secondly, I thought I heard of a mod to the AV710, but ATM cant find it (more searching will find it, no doubt). This would likely place it above the Revo, correct?

I was already looking at the Senn 595's, as they seem to be just about perfect for me.

I'm not sure what groovalizer means... definition?

Lastly, and possibly a question that deserves an entirely new thread, what are the suggested parts for a DIY Gilmore lite?

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

I'm not sure what groovalizer means... definition?

Defined as a headphone with the most head-bobbage per dollar spent.
biggrin.gif

Groovalizers move more towards the fun, rather than analytical aspect of headphones. They're not as refined as many headphones and certainly not neutral, but very enjoyable to listen to.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Lastly, and possibly a question that deserves an entirely new thread, what are the suggested parts for a DIY Gilmore lite?

http://www.headamp.com/order.shtml

it comes as a kit. just supply the solder and the skills.

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by ReDVsion
Surely you have certain genres of music you listen to more than others? This would help, considering a lot of headphones, while sounding good with many types of music, will really shine in a particular genre, and be somewhat mediocre in others.

Well, musically, I'm an odd one. Recently, I've been listening to lots of jam band type stuff (think greatful dead). Keller williams, moe, string cheese incident etc.

But I listen to music in phases, I went 6-7 months where all I listened to was jazz, coltrane, eddie harris, stan getz, charlie parker etc.

Therefore, I can say that my music tastes will most definitely change at some point in the forseeable future.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 29
Here's what I'm trying to get at:

Classical/jazz/melodic rock/some electronica has a lot going on in the music, and an analytical headphone helps a lot in this area; you can hear every nuance of the piece and focus on it, then come back and hear how all these intricacies come together as a whole.

Particularly intense/angry/simple music doesn't exactly have a whole lot going on. There's nothing typically hidden in the music that you'll find with a better headphone. And that's fine, but if you get a headphone catering to the former style of music I mentioned, these pieces will sound boring and uninteresting. Grados and groovalizers can give you what you need here.

You are apparently at least somewhat in the first camp due to your jazz phase. I'm trying to see if I can eliminate the latter possibility from your listening preferences. If this is true, I can place you in the senn600/beyer880/akgk271 camp. If not, you're going to need a better all-around headphone than the above will likely provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back