I have $450 for you to help me spend. Which amp for Senn 600's?
Oct 7, 2002 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

ghart999

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there. I am new to the head phone world and have just picked up a used pair of Senn HD 600's with the Cardas cable (yes). I have heard this cable makes a huge difference and that an amp should be chosen accordingly.

I am considering the following so far but am open to other suggestions.

Creek OBH-11 SE for $350
HeadRoom Little with Premium Module for $460
Antique Sound MG Head for $330.

I am open to more suggestions, but this is my start so far. Please don't suggest prices over $450 cause that's all I have to spend, period. Thank you for your help.

Gregg

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 47
ghart999, I definitely prefer the Corda over the HeadRoom Little, and not just because of the different approaches to crossfeed effects. I have not heard the other 2 amps that you're considering.

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 47
I would consider the Meta approach. But it seems that all of the makers of the Meta are so overbooked that they are not even taking orders right now. I need something soon.

I will look into the Corda HA-1. I have never heard of it, but will check out what I can about it.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Oct 7, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 47
dougli: The little he is considering the the little with the premium module, a whole different beast than the stock little(a serious amp by itself though). The disadvantage? I don't know anyone who has one.
frown.gif
I was considering buying one, but I built a meta instead. It's a shame though, that no one has listened to the little with the premium module.

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 47
I'd say the Little Premium or a META42 over the Creek. With the Little, you can later upgrade the power supply and/or the module for a near-Max
biggrin.gif

I honestly prefer a good META or Little over the MG Head that I heard.

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 47
ghart

It seems that JMT is not currently booked. You may want to email him.

I second the idea of META42 or Corda HA-1, but that's probably expected of me. If you want the ability to tube roll, do some MG Head searches and go that route. The other two amps here are more well rounded.

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

I honestly prefer a good META or Little over the MG Head that I heard.

I'll back this comment. at the WOH tour, the mg head I heard just didn't have the high/low extension and detail. Keep in mind, this was with stock tubes. I'm sure different tubes may change the amp completely.

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 47
The MG Head can sound MUCH better than it does with the stock tubes with not very much money.

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 47
The Corda HA-1 will pose a serious problem for the Cardas cable, as it only accepts a 1/8" input. Unless you want to buy the Grado converter for about $15 which will reduce the sonic benefit of the Cardas, I suggest you look elsewhere.

I have some serious doubts about the condition of the tube gear on the Headroom tour -- the Omega2, Holmes-Powell DCT-2, and Cary CAD-300SEI were not performing the way they should have been according to my other auditions with them. I wouldn't base an opinion of the MG Head DT or OTL solely on what was on display on the WOHT. The solid state gear was probably quite intact, though.

As I told you privately, ghart999, I think the Melos would be a great amp but you don't seem to want to go for that. I think the MG Head will likely be a wonderful amp for the 600+cardas as long as you engage in some judicious tube-rolling.

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 47
DanG - I had forgoten about your suggestion. I have since lost the PM you sent me. What was the model again? I will consider this piece.

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 47
I just noticed that Tomo on headwize is selling his Melos SHA-1 for $500 - bargain, considering the inflation these amps have been going through. It's about the best there is for HD600.

Oct 7, 2002 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 47
Gregg, it's the Melos SHA-1 as Aeberbach pointed out. If you really want to stick to a $450 budget, you may still want to go for the MG Head if you can really get it for $280. Really nice tubes may raise that as much as $100 or even more if you go crazy. From what people have said about the MG, I would think that the sound might be more luscious but a bit slower and heavier than the Melos SHA-1. This is just speculation, though, as I haven't heard the MG Head (DT or OTL). I'd try it one day except that you're getting my Senns and Cardas.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back