I have $400 to spend... What do I need to make a killer system??
Mar 6, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

darkburnout00

New Head-Fier
I have a budget of $400-500, how can I get a killer system?? What do I need?? I'm absolutely clueless on the matter.

I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser 580. But then I also need cables and amps and such. What do you recommend I get??

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 7
Well it might help us to know where you are starting. Like what do you have, what are your music preferences, what are you looking for?

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Also a side note, you are not going to build a "Killer" system from the ground up on a $400 budget. That is why we need a starting point.

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkburnout00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a budget of $400-500, how can I get a killer system?? What do I need?? I'm absolutely clueless on the matter.

I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser 580. But then I also need cables and amps and such. What do you recommend I get??

You won't be able to build a killer set up for 500.00.. Amp/headphones/DAC & or CD player etc..

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 7
"Killer System" is a pretty relative term... If you aren't used to listening to really good headphone setups, you can build a setup for $400 that will blow your mind. My mind was blow when I was first burning in my Grado SR 80s (for a little less than $100). My mind was again blown when I first hooked them up to an amp (a $50 version of the basic cMoy amp). I just ordered a cheap DAC ($80 DAC707 Super Pro) and I hope that I will again be impressed with the increase in sound quality. I use my MacBook computer as my source.

I would recommend that you buy items one piece at a time so that you can enjoy the improvement you get from each component. For $400-$500 you will be able to create a setup that will sound much better than anything the average person will ever experience. However, eventually, you will probably want more...

My $400 rig would be: SR 80, DAC707 Super Pro, Little Dot MK 2, and appropriate cables.

Why are you thinking sennheisers? Not that there is anything wrong with them, I'm just wondering why you chose them.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 7
I recommend a cheap CDP/DVD player running line-out to an amp like the corda headfive. Get some Bluejeans cable RCA's, and a pair of headphones, and you are all set.

Mar 6, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 7
I would recommend the Meier Corda 2Move and some Yuin PK-1 headphones. Portable, Built in Dac, Ear buds with a similar sound signature to the Senn 650. Im assuming you have a computer,,,lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back