I have $250 dollars to spend - what headphones?
Feb 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Not Yet

New Head-Fier
I'll try to make this quick so not to waste you time reading!

I don't use headphones/IEMs/anything, I'm almost exclusively speakers (I have the JBL LSR305 with the bass turned down to give you an idea of what I'm used to things sounding like). The only pair of headphones I have is a $10 pair of Samson ones which have literally no treble range. The only other pair of headphones I used were the KRK-8400 a couple years ago. I reviewed them here, but long story short, they were super dependent on a good seal (even my thin glasses upset them) and I hated them... everything sounded louder than I remember, not to mention it sounded like all the air was sucked out of the everything, making things hard to focus on, like when the volume is turned too high and becomes hard to discern things. Even my cheap Samson headphones don't have this issue! I really don't want to have a repeat of the KRKs, so no m70x.

Here are some quick facts:
  1. I am not very mobile, but I would maybe bring them to work where we walk all day
  2. I only have a Behringer U-PHORIA UM2 to drive them, though I will be getting a high end phone this year like the LG G5 probably (if it follows in the steps of the LG V10, will have an impressive DAC)
  3. I mainly go for neutral or uncolored sounding equipment with a focus on transient response
  4. I do post process music to bring back dynamic range and change the stereo image
  5. I listen to electro house, cheesy electronic dance music, billboard hot 100, but also have a soft spot for things like Coldplay - Everglow

I tried doing some research, and came up with these options (didn't investigate every brand, like Grado)
  1. The new Audio Technica Art Monitor ATH-A990Z. I wish I could find more info or even buy them online, but nobody has anything on them.
  2. Fostex T40RP mk3 / T50RP Mk3 (how much sound do open leak?)
  3. Audio Technica MSR7
  4. Anything else you'd suggest?

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 3
  I can vouch for the MSR7 as a incredible headphone if you don't mind a bright tilt. The imaging and impulse response is amazing! With a wee-bit of filter paper they're the ultimate portable for me!

Just a quick update. I ended up getting those, but I just find them too bright. I've come to the conclusion that I simply like a darker sound signature... anything upper mid range boost or treble frequencies sounds less natural to me the longer I listen, like more digital or just harsh. I'd rather have smooth, completely fatigue free treble than sparkle or crispness, etc. I just want somewhat flat, boring, present the music as it actually sounds, with lots of space and detail. They also seemed to exert a bit of clamping pressure (but my face is a bit more bony than most). I'm gonna return them soon, but did love those removable cables.

Feb 25, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 3
I once owned a pair of Sennheiser Momentum and maybe they fit your facts. I prefer brighter trebles like MSR7 and the Momentum are sort of too dark for me, concentrating more on mid and bass. Also they have removable cables one for idevices and another for other devices. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back