I have 24 hours to buy the ultimate portable system, which must work for home, car too...
Jun 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Golden Ears

100+ Head-Fier
I know this will sound like “Mission Impossible”. I have 24 hours to select all of my audio systems for my birthday or it will just get a collection of ugly neckties and polo shirts.

So far I think I’ve decided on the Pico USB headphone amplifier and the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones. I tried all the top of the line models. I listen to all kinds of music except country music.

So I need to select components that have the possibility of doing double, triple, or even perhaps quadruple duty.

I need a new home system.

I need a new portable system which must be incredible.

I need this to interface with my car audio system. (Which is really overboard). I have an switchable Aux input both in the front of the car and it can also input in the rear if I am controlling something remotely. Unfortunately there is no way to see cover art over the Nakamichi. If I serve music from the Nokia N810 which might end up being my GPS too (External GPS bluetooth receiver used) that might fit the bill nicely.

I need a new portable DJ system. Likely I will base it on the Vestax VCI-100 SE Model.

search youtube for this.." VESTAX VCI-100 featuring Ean Golden - 2/2"
Watch- Video..it is a mind blower… 0:35- 1:35

YouTube - VESTAX VCI-100 featuring Ean Golden - 2/2

So here’s what I have so far.
A.I have a current Macbook Pro 17 inch loaded

B. I have 3 Portable Cd players -Denon DCP – 150 units (which were to be used for portable mixing but still sit new in Box). And one Denon DCP-100 portable compact disc player. I think I will sell these…. Sad… because they are the best PCDP’s I have ever heard.

C. My car audio system is pretty extensive, I have 1000 W six channel Macintosh amplifier, and a 400 W six channel Macintosh amplifier, a six band for channel Macintosh EQ with a five way electronic crossover, a Nakamichi TP – 1200 remote preamplifier separates from Japan (the special shop series with upgraded components) it is easily on par with many high-end preamplifier’s- it is the finest sounding Preamplifer for a car ever produced. As for speakers I haven’t bought them yet, but I’ll likely go with JL audio subwoofers running free air on the rear deck and some nice and dynaudio separates for the front stage.This will go into a 1994 Mercedes E500 which was assembled by hand at the Porsche factory.

I think the Wadia iTransporter dock + iPod would be a great source to feed everything (Except it isn’t portable
frown.gif
) . Also I was considering using my computer as a source. Too bad there is no USB out for the ipod or coaxial input to a Pico.

1. Will the Pico amplifier work well as a preamplifier in a home system? We can assume that the only source will be digital music. I used to own a Wadia CD player the 860 model, and I loved it, I used infinity reference standard speakers with it and the sound was about as close as you can get to live with digital.

I’m certainly not expecting the Pico amplifier to come anywhere close to my old audio system – but if they can do double duty, or triple duty or more by using it in my home system, my car system, my DJ system, and my portable system that would be great.

2. I also need a four channel sound card recommendation with sound quality being of the utmost importance, and it must be a four channel sound card so I can DJ with it as well. I have been toying with the concept of using a six channel sound card so that I could do surround sound in the car as well as surround sound in the home system.

3. If anyone has any good digital to analog converter recommendations that would be better than the DAC in the Pico that would be great too.

For my portable rig, currently it’s just bearable but extremely convenient and comfortable. I currently use a cellular phone which has been billed as a portable multimedia computer from Nokia the N95-3

That in combination with my Oakley O’rokr pro Bluetooth sunglasses has been my portable audio rig (which also allows for autopause of music and voice dialing and control from the glasses. As you can imagine I’m really not happy with it- except on the beach or when doing exercise. I use a lot of EQ to get this to sound flatter. I wanted to mod the ear buds but I am sure AD2P bluetooth and the amplifier in the glasses are limiting.

So if I get the Wadia iTransporter, I suppose I am locked into using an iPod, I already have a 160 gig iPod classic…which is okay, but can I assume that if I chose something else I might get a better audio source?

The one nice thing about my cell phone, is when used with a either a Cradle Point PHS 300 or cradlepoint CTR500 cellular broadband router and battery, I can listen to Internet radio on the fly. That’s only because I don’t have AT&T broadband in Aspen Colorado still have to use Verizon broadband instead.

4. Does anybody know if the Nokia N95 can be used to drive the Pico USB amplifier from its USB out? I might have to carry around a bunch of micro-SD chips but that would be okay if I could eliminate having to carry another device.

5. I also was considering using a Nokia N810 internet tablet as my sound source because that also has a USB output – does anyone know if that could work with the Pico amplifier? That would work out nicely as I could stream Internet radio from that as well when used with a cradle point router. I would get more screen real estate too and could run iTunes.

I don’t drive my car much as I live right in Aspen and take the Bus or walk or skate.

So if there are any other people that are into high-end portable audio who are also DJs and use their systems to interface in the car as well as their home – by all means speak up. (I don’t expect anyone like that here)

And anyone else please help, I have only 24 hours to finish the rest of my decisions. HELP HELP HELP!

The Vestax VCI-100 SE MIDI mixer will run a DJ program called Traktor DJ studio three from my Macbook Pro I’m hoping that I also can mix directly into my headphones and into my car when doing events, because my car has special plugs so that when I substitute the umbilical cord that goes to the car speakers to another harness I can drive large-scale speakers and throw a party wherever my car can get to.

For the DJ monitors I’m going to get the audioengine 5 speaker system. I’ve heard them and they are remarkable for the price – actually astoundingly good for the price. To me for critical listening there are about 30% satisfying. Good enough for background music and occasionally blasting a song or two.

I have a smaller apartment in Aspen Colorado, and I’ll probably use some planar speakers or dipolar radiators like Apogee or Magnepans- LATER I might even spring for a little tube amp to romanticize the sound… So guys, you are the experts, and certainly you’ll be able to come up with something better and faster than I can 24 hour’s. Am I on the right track?

This page will self destruct in 24 hours.... I am so fried......3 days staying up until 5am....

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 17
If you want to come to a conclusion before those 24 hours expire you will want to edit your post to bring out the main points because few people are going to read all of it, especialy for a quite demanding question and with such a short timespan!

I'll edit in whatever i have to say once i finish the read
redface.gif

Edit:
So not only do you want a portable player dac amp headphones but also a preamp poweramp and speakers aswell as a solution to use your portable system in a DJ setup ? which of these quests really needs to be solved in those 24hours?

From bottom , ignoring the speakers/women issue

If you're happy with your monitors keep them, especially if they serve your purpose better than your previous Spendors and ProAcs. You seem to be happy with them for mixing anyways so just keep your mixing and listening rig seperate
If not you will find plenty of opinions on active monitors on gearslutz..

You should dig up information on the Pacemaker

For your car system why not use your laptop as source!? That gives you more options on a DAC and more flexibility

Please make clearer statements on where you need advice, in the beginning you stated you're already set on your Amp/Dac and headphone?

-------------------------------------
[size=small]Are you serious?[/size]

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to come to a conclusion before those 24 hours expire you will want to edit your post to bring out the main points because few people are going to read all of it, especialy for a quite demanding question and with such a short timespan!

I'll edit in whatever i have to say once i finish the read
redface.gif

Ditto. Like, maybe make bullet points of the main things you're looking for instead of an essay.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 17
Well... I'm not too well versed on car audio or DJ equipment but the pico is also known to be a very good usb DAC, this means you can you it to get a better sound out of your laptop via it's DAC. Of course this is a headphone amp.

Perhaps you might want to consider a car audio/dj forum to ask for questions about this also? Although the members here have a lot of knowledge you are not guaranteed to get all the information about car audio/speaker system you seem to be looking for.

And while you wrote a huge paragraph to explain your situation you forgot... your budget!

Also you want an incredible portable system... it depends on how portable and your budget.... I mean I would recommend an imodded 80gb 5.5g ipod + vcap + RSA hornet + UE11 but that might be too big or blow up your budget.

You wrote a lot yet you included some information that we don't need to know that makes it hard to read, and forgot others that might be more vital to assessing your needs!

Khan'

Jun 19, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #5 of 17
What I found interesting was the description of a completely over-the-top system in the OP's car. Later, he goes on to say that he doesn't drive it. From that, I take it that budget isn't an issue.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 17
Budget isn't so much a concern. I've been collecting high end audio since I was 14- and if I were to do it all again I would have skipped right to the most expensive items... it would saved me a lot of money...same thing with selecting cars.

Or the only other way to keep costs low... is simply never go to forums like this and be in a state of ignorant bliss. But- once you do find that there is audio nirvana- this quest for perfection pervades everywhere.

So the car system is a long term work in progress. That too has to come to an end. I used to tune high end speaker systems for a living...and I still do it from time to time which is why I am in Tokyo now- and why I have to go to the Baltic states after this.

So a better format.

1. Can I assume the Pico is a good choice? Is there another head amp out there other than the Predator with a USB DAC that is on par?

2. Will the output impedance of the Pico be suitable as a Preamp or source for my car? Bestop - Best Installation is Perfection

3. Can the Pico drive a tube amplifier? Has anyone tried this?

4. I'll post about the soundcard in a computer or DJ forum.

5. Likely I will buy the UE-11's for sports use if they have extended HF... my hearing is intact...I am 44 years old and I find speakers that do not go beyond 22kHz to be unsatisfying... but this could be not because I can hear above 22kHz but because as a driver approaches an octave of its upper llimit in frequency its dispersion changes and gets "beamy" and that is likely what destroys "air" and fine imaging. This could be moot in Headphones. That being said the HD 650 Frequency Response: 10 - 39,500 Hz (-10dB) liely helps...even though 10db is a huge range and far from flat. They are an insane value for the sound quality produced, and seem to improve right along with source improvements making them likely a great choice as digital codecs and DAC's improve.

6. My portable rig might be UE-11 + Pico + Nokia N810 and Cradlepoint CTR500 modem as being able to listen to internet radio is important to me and navigating those stations is much easier with the screen real estate of a N810. In winter using the HD650's will double as ear muffs.

So it should be pretty easy to knock off the first few questions.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Khanate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

snipped...

Perhaps you might want to consider a car audio/dj forum to ask for questions about this also? Although the members here have a lot of knowledge you are not guaranteed to get all the information about car audio/speaker system you seem to be looking for.

And while you wrote a huge paragraph to explain your situation you forgot... your budget!

Also you want an incredible portable system... it depends on how portable and your budget.... I mean I would recommend an imodded 80gb 5.5g ipod + vcap + RSA hornet + UE11 but that might be too big or blow up your budget.

Khan'

The car audio forums are useless (not exaggerating). They are nearly deaf from SPL- their response to electrostatics might be."It sounds more clearer" which is often what I hear from Pro audio. The same goes for DJ's. It all depends on what you pay attention to.
Car Audio guys like it to be tactile- and sound loud and have image placement with no regard for timbre or harmonics. Many Musicans and Pro Audio guys are looking for a distinct mix IMHO they listen to composition, timing, and being able to identify musical notes without caring much for harmonics, imaging, soundstage, or it sounding live. When they listen to music the don't hear a soundstage because they are ON the Soundstage.

So I can only turn to you guys for help. High End home audio is too opinionated because everyones home has a different transfer function.

So
1. my headphone budget for now is $500-$600
2. About $600 for a USB DAC Headphone Amp
3. I have no idea about budget for external sound cards at all...

Last time I bought a CD player I had a budget of $1500 and was looking to buy a audiophile home CD player to gut to put into my car. That's when I heard the Wadia 860 and certainly I was not shopping for an $8,000 Cd player.. but when I heard it... it was worth it given that my speakers could make you hear what it was capable of delivering. So far I have not heard a Headphone that is worth more than the HD 650's but I have not heard Westones. I heard the Stax Electrostatics at Yodabashi Camera....oddly STAX did not do it for me. I'd probably have to buy the Orpheus if I heard it... so I really don't want to hear it..lol.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

I

Edit:
So not only do you want a portable player dac amp headphones but also a preamp poweramp and speakers aswell as a solution to use your portable system in a DJ setup ? which of these quests really needs to be solved in those 24hours?

You should dig up information on the Pacemaker

For your car system why not use your laptop as source!? That gives you more options on a DAC and more flexibility

Please make clearer statements on where you need advice, in the beginning you stated you're already set on your Amp/Dac and headphone?

Wow- right on...
1. I had thought about using a mac mini for my car audio server. The main thoughts were that I could listen to internet radio and do google earth and that synching my music libraries would be easier. I already have a Mac wireless keyboard- but I would need to install a screen somewhere in the car.

2. I think the Nokia N810 with touch screen would be easier to manage though if it can use a USB DAC. I could also control my music with salling clicker that I have installed on My N95 but radio station browsing and music browsing is limited mostly to playlists because the screen is too small... ditto for an iPhone or iPod touch using "Signal" from Alloysoft.com

3. I have to buy the DJ gear by the 22nd as some "Special Edition" items are only available in Japan.

4. I have to finalize my headphone amp and DAC now... birthday...

5. 24 hrs for Wadia iTransporter iPod+ DAC- which would be a car/home/DJ source.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 17
PACEMAKER- won't be mixing on the fly AFAIK- and the unit won't support lossless and has a very small display.. but it is cool- (Thanks!) maybe I could mix on the 20 minute gondola rides in Aspen as I am looking for wearable speakers- and my friends have been bugging me to do it.

I would still see a Nokia N810 being enabled for "controllerism" being more useful for mixing than the Pacemaker.

In regards to the iPod as a source since it uses Lossless I can store twice as much per gigabyte... Also using a non modded Ipod lets me plug in other peoples music. I did look at the iMod but the Ipods break too easily for me to invest in them.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 17
Since the Wadia iTransporter exists and there is a way to get digital output.. I only see it as a matter of time before I can get that done in a portable without needing a modded iPod.

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #11 of 17
  1. The last time i looked at a thread about the iTransport it was said there was a chip inside sending a signal to the iPod to make it output digital. If it really is a more complex process it might take some time before it's exploited for the portable market. You can get an I2S signal of the Ipods DAC though, so if you find someone experienced willing to do that you could tap into that and hook up any DAC that accepts I2S input (mostly modded aswell) or hook up an I2S to S/P-DiF converter
  2. The Nokia Tablet PCs can be used with USB DACs ! there was a thread just this week linking to anarticle on ultramobilegeek.com
  3. Pico an Predator accept USB only so you cannot interface the iTransport with them but i guess for transportable use (car/home/DJ) a bigger screen might be on order so a tablet or your laptop could serve them
  4. Pacemaker should support Flac afaik
  5. There's the DIYMod aswell
  6. For your soundcard, what interface do you need, is it for your laptop? USB/Firewire/cardbus?
    Are the 4outs the only requirement or do you need anyinputs?

Theres quite a big choice
    RME FF400
    Emu 1616mPCMCIA
    Motu Ultralite
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Focusrite Saffire and Saffire Pro 10
    RME Multiface II with cardbus or expresscard
    RME RPM "
    Apogee Ensemble
    Apogee Symphony + converter
    Metric Halo 2882
    and more..

I'd say go for the FF400 if it fits your requirements, but the Focurite and Presonus are said to be ok aswell
  7. For the headphones
    What did you not like with the Stax setup and which setup was it exactly?
  8. You'll find better answers to your Pico/Predator questions in the various threads, but i dont think they would serve well as a preamp into a tube poweramp this depends on the poweramp aswell ofc

Jun 20, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 17
Sounds like you want miracles!!
Surely if ,as the post implies, money is no object you would be better going for specific units for specific tasks?
I don't know how easily accessible all you In Car Audio is but is potentially swapping cables etc about for an amp not going to become unbelievably choresome after time!
Can understand the wish for an all in one system but sometimes practicality comes calling!!
Sounds like you want ;
1 - portable audio
2 - car audio
3 - home audio
4 - sat nav
5 - headphones

If you manage it call apple!!
The Jesus phone wouldnt have a look in!!

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

1. The Nokia Tablet PCs can be used with USB DACs ! there was a thread just this week linking to anarticle on ultramobilegeek.com
  2. Pico an Predator accept USB only so you cannot interface the iTransport with them but i guess for transportable use (car/home/DJ) a bigger screen might be on order so a tablet or your laptop could serve them
  3. Pacemaker should support Flac afaik
  4. There's the DIYMod aswell
  5. For your soundcard, what interface do you need, is it for your laptop? USB/Firewire/cardbus?
    Are the 4outs the only requirement or do you need anyinputs?

Theres quite a big choice
    RME FF400
    Emu 1616mPCMCIA
    Motu Ultralite
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
    Focusrite Saffire and Saffire Pro 10
    RME Multiface II with cardbus or expresscard
    RME RPM "
    Apogee Ensemble
    Apogee Symphony + converter
    Metric Halo 2882
    and more..

I'd say go for the FF400 if it fits your requirements, but the Focurite and Presonus are said to be ok aswell
  6. For the headphones
    What did you not like with the Stax setup and which setup was it exactly?
  7. You'll find better answers to your Pico/Predator questions in the various threads, but i dont think they would serve well as a preamp into a tube poweramp this depends on the poweramp aswell ofc

I heard the stax at Yodabashi camera through a Stax amplifier... I thought it would ahve clarity and depth--- and quickness. and it was fast- but sooo dry... It wasa floor sample.. I have to relisten at a hedfi meet.

The Nokia Tablet then might be the answer for portable use and car use as I will get internet radio with it.

I decided to make the DJ portion completely separate- just caved and decided that everything should affiliated with the same company ties (That way if something goes wrong I only have to call Native Instruments -So I got the VESTAX VCI-100 SE MIDI mixer which comes loaded with Traktor- used the Audio Kontrol 1 Sound Card which also has the Native Instruments stamp on it (and has a mixing dial that is assignable) and of course I'm using Traktor- DJ studio 3.2 so if anything is amiss its just one customer support call. I have a feeling though..I'm going to buy a killer Sound card at some point like a $2000 card... but for now I just want to make sure it all works with no hassles and finger pointing.

So fellows, a really taking your advice and try to separate a few things and I'm wanting to do everything. The DJ stuff is just for nightclubs maybe a little bit at home, but as far as portable listening, headphone listening at home, and home audio are concerned -- I'd really like to just base things off of the pico amplifier. If I really can't do it with just the pico amplifier, I am certainly up for buying a sound card and some other amplifier to make it all happen.

I realize without a USB out from either a computer or a handheld tablet -- I won't be able to realize the benefits of the pico amplifier -- in that case, I'm probably better off buying a product from Ray Samuels.

I do think, however, that I will be doing a lot of listening while working at my on my laptop in different locations -- and so the thought of a USB DAC is really appealing.

1. Has anyone compared the sound of the professional audio Apogee mini digital audio converter to either the predator with a pico USB Digital analog converter with amplifier?

The LaRocco amplifier is probably what I would go for if I decided not to use USB -- but realistically I don't think I have a good enough source to amplify unless I use it digital to analog converter first.

2. ??? Am I better off with a separate DAC feeding a LArocco than a Pico off of a USB?

3. Or say A Hornet with a good Dac? Or is the difference so small that I am really better off with a Pico?

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #14 of 17
Iron Dreamer compared the Pico, Hornet and mini-DAC here
There are many different Stax amps and phones although it's most probable it was a set currently in production there are still the lambdas (brown rectangular enclosure) and the omegas (round), and ofcourse the source plays a role when you audition such a rig

If you get a LaRocco in your hands they are aparently very nice but there's quite some trouble around them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back