I have 10k to blow on headphones
Mar 21, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #46 of 58
You have scared the guy, damned you guys!!!!

Mar 21, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire
I remember being a teenager earning $6.85 CDN an hour... getting a portable CD player was a big deal for me back then.

luckily for me, i bought my pcdp off a friend for 10 dollars, because he kept plugging the head-phones into the line-in and thinking it was a piece of trash.
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #49 of 58
get a portable cdp (included earphones are ok!) tons of cd´s and spend the rest on a world-tour - visit japan to get some better prices on audio technicas and/or sonys!
smily_headphones1.gif

get tickets for the u2 concert! learn how to dive! buy yourself (another?) car! get yourself a complete playboy collection (often sold on ebay!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

isn´t it boring to have soooo much money? better share with us! it is much more fun to buy, sell and trade headphones and gear all the time. otherwise it would be boring, getting the best and just enjoying the music? how boring!
wink.gif
better start with a cmoy after a few month you can get a rega ear, then maybe a sr71 aso...

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 10:32 AM Post #50 of 58
The reason why you've never seen it spelled that way is because the word, besides obviously coming from noveau riche, is never spelled as novorish, nuvorish except when used in a highly derogatory manner. That particular spelling came of age during the economic booms when a lot of people who came from old-world wealth (i.e. icons of the petroleum, banking, and investment industries) suddenly found themselves in the company of 20 year old kids. The old generation in many ways felt that the nouveau riche had not "done their time" and resented the near instantaneous wealth that had been achieved by this new generation, the so-called "nouveau riche". This new generation was tactless in flaunting wealth and didn't have the polish and the supposed "class" of older generations. Since most of these people were old die-hard Americans, long entrenched in tradition and the Western culture of John Wayne, "nouveau riche" soon became slurred into "novorish".

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prothall
thatopampguy, I can honestly say I've never seen noveau riche spelled that way before... Though I must say when I first saw this and that the thread starter was in high school my first thoughts were of California.

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #52 of 58
For 10k, headphones will sound crap. Get speakers! They will sound fantastic. If you decide on speakers, just post and I'll say which ones are basically the best in the world (but amazing value)!

Mar 21, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
old teen (21)

Sorry, you're not a teen any more... you'd better get used to being old as that's when it starts. Wait until you hit 25, you'll feel like a grampa. [I did.
tongue.gif
]

To the original poster - Put it in the bank for college.
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatopampguy
That particular spelling came of age during the economic booms when a lot of people who came from old-world wealth (i.e. icons of the petroleum, banking, and investment industries) suddenly found themselves in the company of 20 year old kids. The old generation in many ways felt that the nouveau riche had not "done their time" and resented the near instantaneous wealth that had been achieved by this new generation, the so-called "nouveau riche". This new generation was tactless in flaunting wealth and didn't have the polish and the supposed "class" of older generations. Since most of these people were old die-hard Americans, long entrenched in tradition and the Western culture of John Wayne, "nouveau riche" soon became slurred into "novorish".

I could be wrong, of course, but I believe the term (or at least the feeling behind it) was originally used by the old aristocracies, landed gentry, plantation owners, etc. during and after the industrial revolution to deride the "new money" bankers, railroad men, industrialists and manufacturers who, as you said, lacked class and tended to flaunt their wealth at first. Then it was used by those people to deride people who made tons of money in the stock market during the Roaring Twenties and again in the 1980s. Of course, now the term could be used by those same families previously derided as "nouveau riche" to deride the new "new money" of dot-com millionaires, etc.

EDIT: I must admit, though, I've never heard the "novorish" spelling or pronunciation before.

EDIT AGAIN: From some Googling, it seems the term may go back much farther than that.

Mar 21, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Sorry, you're not a teen any more... you'd better get used to being old as that's when it starts. Wait until you hit 25, you'll feel like a grampa. [I did.
tongue.gif
]

Blasphemy....

Mar 21, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

thatopampguy, I can honestly say I've never seen noveau riche spelled that way before... Though I must say when I first saw this and that the thread starter was in high school my first thoughts were of California.

Neither did i have ever seen it spelled like that
biggrin.gif

Nouveau riche

Mar 21, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Unfortunately not all of us Californians (Silicon Valley/Bay Area to be exact) are rich even though on average the median income here is higher than the rest of the country. Real estate prices and cost of living is also much higher than the rest of the country. Where else in the country will you find a 1200sqft POS house going for $500k? I think the median house price is now $630k. Ridiculous... My point is that with the higher salaries come higher expenses and Silicon Valley/Bay Area and just because we live in California doesn't make us automatically wealthy.

Mar 21, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #58 of 58
Somewhere I once saw "nouveau riche" defined as "the sort of people who buy their silver." (As opposed to those who inherit it presumably.)
smily_headphones1.gif

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back