I have $1000 for audio in my new computer build. Is this my best option for that money?
Oct 1, 2014 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

FatEskimo

New Head-Fier
This is from reddit so that's why it's formatted that way:
I need help picking a full setup (Headphones, amp, and DAC)

Budget - $1000. Not willing to go any more

Source - Desktop computer

Requirements for Isolation - Don't care. In-home use only

Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized

Preferred tonal balance - All-around with satisfying bass and clear vocals with good separation of instruments

Past headphones - Allen & Heath Xone XD2-53. Like how they sound and the separation of instruments but they hurt my hears to wear for a long time because of the padding. They're also closed-back so they don't sound as real

Preferred Music - A ****-ton of rock/metal/punk (My Chemical Romance, Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold, Senses Fail, etc.), some rap (Eminem and Hollywood Undead mainly with some other artists like Tech N9ne), and "hardcore" style dubstep (Knife Party). I will also be doing competitive gaming (CS:GO) where sound separation is very important and I need to know where sounds are coming from.

-----

The setup I'm thinking of is:

O2 amp - ~$200
Hifiman HE-500 - ~$500 on Ebay
ODAC - ~$150

Would this be the best for my budget or is something better?

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 23
You can get a used HE500 for $450 or less on the classified section of this forum.  O2+ODAC should cost no more than $280 brand new, a lot less than that if you don't mind used.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 23
This is from reddit so that's why it's formatted that way:
I need help picking a full setup (Headphones, amp, and DAC)
Budget - $1000. Not willing to go any more
Source - Desktop computer
Requirements for Isolation - Don't care. In-home use only
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full-sized
Preferred tonal balance - All-around with satisfying bass and clear vocals with good separation of instruments
Past headphones - Allen & Heath Xone XD2-53. Like how they sound and the separation of instruments but they hurt my hears to wear for a long time because of the padding. They're also closed-back so they don't sound as real
Preferred Music - A ****-ton of rock/metal/punk (My Chemical Romance, Rise Against, Avenged Sevenfold, Senses Fail, etc.), some rap (Eminem and Hollywood Undead mainly with some other artists like Tech N9ne), and "hardcore" style dubstep (Knife Party). I will also be doing competitive gaming (CS:GO) where sound separation is very important and I need to know where sounds are coming from.
The setup I'm thinking of is:
O2 amp - ~$200
Hifiman HE-500 - ~$500 on Ebay
ODAC - ~$150
Would this be the best for my budget or is something better?

The ODAC uses USB and USB bypasses the sound card features, like any headphone surround sound features your sound card has.

Get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card and a Schiit Modi (optical) DAC and Schiit Magni headphone amplifier.

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 23
For CS:GO, if you use Dolby or anything, then ya, @PurpleAngel is right. You'll want a soundcard that can do DSP out through optical or whatever, a DAC that can receive that, and whatever amp you want. For CS:GO I basically stopped using Dolby in favor of the in-game 'headphone' option - something work checking into. If so, then the ODAC/O2 is about the most transparent combo you can get for dang near any price. The Schiit Modi/Magni are also popular at that price range. Planar headphones like the HE-500 or newer 400i are a good call, lots of speed and bass extension that should make them great for your genres.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 23
Considering your music preference and the way you want to use the headphones the HE-500 might both be overkill and not well suited for your purpose. Too heavy and for some uncomfortable for long term use and perhaps a bit too dull sounding.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 23
Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to try to find a pair of LCD-2 for around $750, get an O2, and just use my onboard audio for the DAC? Or should I just get a Magni+Modi with the analog version of the Modi so that it can use the surround?

And @jodgey4 yea I already use the "headphone" setting (on a laptop so no analog). Does this work better than Dolby surround?

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 23
Ok I've found some other things and need to know which is the best for what I've previously said I want to use these headphones for.

HE-500 + Magni + Modi (analog version for dolby surround)

HE-500 + 02 or Magni + Onboard audio (for surround once again. I'd prefer this selecton because it costs less but would not having a DAC make a difference in quality?)

LDC-2 + 02 or Magni + Onboard

HE-6 + onboard for both amp and DAC

HE-560 + Magni + Onboard

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 23
Maybe start a little lower and get philips fidelio x1/x2 along with a cheap sound card with optic output, then you can upgrade later on.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 23
The HE-6 almost needs a speaker amp as it's amp because it is so hard to drive. For any of those headphones, you'd want a DAC to get the best of them. There's no analog Modi, just USB and Optical input options that would require a soundcard like what purple suggested (I use Xonar DGX). Since you don't use Dolby or anything, you don't need that. This means you're budget should best include a USB? DAC, amp, and headphones of your choice. LCD-2's I think would be too dark for metal, IMHO. Can't speak of the others. For this amount of money, you really should be auditioning as many headphones as you can.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #11 of 23
 Or should I just get a Magni+Modi with the analog version of the Modi so that it can use the surround?

"Analog version of the Modi"?
The Modi is a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and does not come with analog input.
It does have an analog line output.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 23
Yea for some reason I confused optical with analog lol. Will the he-6 sound quality be affected if I don't get a DAC and use an o2 as an amp?

I'm guessing to get something that has a better DAC chip then whatever is built into the motherboard.
Even an Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $60) should be an improvement over most on-board audio's DAC feature.

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 23
I don't think you should skip a dedicated DAC (external is ideal IMHO), nor do I think you could budget one in along with an HE-6 and an amp powerful enough to drive it. The O2 will power nearly anything, the HE-6 is not on that list.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 23
Won't tell you what to do, but in your stead I'd start easy and not complicate things too much by getting a cheap but decent sound card (if you actually want to try the virtual surround?) with optical output. Then get a decent, comfortable, easy going and well suited headphone for my purpose. I suggested the x1/x2 earlier.
Tbh you'd probably want to restructure your musical tastes if you want harvest the potential something like the HE-560 has to offer.
Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back