I hate to do this...
Jan 17, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #31 of 42
as somone using HD-650's in dorms I think they are a good choice. Mainly based on the oft overlooked aspect of headphone comfort and there low volume performance. If you are listening to headphones for 5+hrs a day they will not be at high volumes and a laid back sound is better as it's not as fatiguing. As for amplifiers tube amps have a pleasing distortion that makes listening for a long time easier and will provide a talking point so are recomended at your budget. The markup on tube amps is horific so if you can build your own definatly do that, there are pleanty of schematics on head-wise.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #32 of 42
and another vote for hd650 for being great all-round and very comfortable headphones. very nice with graham slee solo.
you may want closed ones to keep out noisy neighbours though.
don't forget a decent source btw.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmashta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, so what is this 'veil' that is always mentioned about the hd650? again, i'm talking about unamped or not properly amped i.e. just the sonic characteristics of the headphones themselves.

Listening to phones unamped is not an accurate portrayal of the phones sound sig. They are made and designed to be used with an amp.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #34 of 42
it's as if people see the word 'veil' and stop reading everything else. if you've read through my previous posts, you should see that everywhere i mentioned about the "veil", i also qualified it with "...when not properly amped" or something to that effect. so we're actually talking about the same thing, no? i say 'it sounds veiled when not properly amped', you say 'it doesn't sound veiled with a proper amp". not sure where the disagreement is?

it's like i say "the ipods don't sound that good" to which you say "NO they sound great...AS LONG AS you use it with an LOD and a $500 pico or predator and good IEMs".

and just cause you don't hear it doesn't mean others don't. do a search for 'hd650 veil' and you'll see plenty. i didn't make that term up. sure, feel free to dismiss them all as not being properly amped. and yes i know they are meant to be used with an amp but even then not everyone will agree on what's a good amp for them. to you, they sound great with a gilmore lite or what-have-you, to me it's only okay.

the OP requested something similar to the se530's signature. i know i'm in the minority here but to my ears they aren't that similar. sure they are both warm and dark sounding. but whereas the se530 has a very forward, in your face presentation, putting me up on stage as if the singer is shouting in my ears, the hd650 has a more laid-back presentation, putting me a few rows back where i can enjoy the music. veil or no veil, the hd650 is not what i'll call forward.

all said, the hd650 are great headphones as long as you use them with the right equipment. for me, if i was looking for the se530 sound, i'll still go with the denons.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #35 of 42
Just as I said on the previous page, people are now claiming that the veil problem is coming FROM the amp, this is offcourse ridiculous. You seriously have to consider the price of going for the HD600/650, because you are going to need to spend alot of money to --> correct for its errors, yeah, I said it, the veil is not an amp problem, its the headphone. And to 'solve/cure' or better said, 'cover-up' the problem, you need some really expensive equipment. The HD650 can sound very good indeed, but imo (and I heard it very good amped and 'de-veiled'), there are much better options, which don't ask for so much extra's to sound good. Ok, flame on!

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #36 of 42
Well this sounds pretty split. I for one hope the aren't opposites. I've owned Shure E3s which have been my companions for the last 2+ years. I just tonight purchased Senn HD650s, I guess I'll have to put my two cents in after break in.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #37 of 42
So I have looked through the replies and I am wondering what the main differences between the apogee duet and the benchmark dac1? and if I were to get the dac1 what kind of cable would I need to go from my macbook pro optical out to it?

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #40 of 42
I own both the HD650s and the shure 530s. They do sound quite different, in terms of presentation. I would say that I prefer my audio-technica W5000s with the earmax pro amp. This tube amp takes the edge off the W5000s rather well while retaining their up front presentation. I really do like the HD650s though, just not quite as direct and thrilling as the W5000s. If listening all day I would go for the HD650s though because of their more relaxed presentation - their biggest asset and biggest flaw

Jan 19, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #41 of 42
I have owned the HD580 and twice the HD600. I have also listened to the HD650 on various occasions both at meets and at friends houses. All three of these cans have been heard via SS and tube amps of various costs. IMO they are veiled and the reason I do not own them. I believe the Beyer DT880 from 2003, AKG K501, K501, Denon D5000, Grado SR225, RS-2, RS-1, Ultrasone HFI-780, PROline 2500, etc sound better.

Just my opinion w/ my gear, music, and ears.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #42 of 42
Ok, I kinda lost the main theme of the thread here but just wanted to add my opinion - my pico makes my SR80's sound better, plain and simple. I'm a novice but it is pretty clear to even my uneducated ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back