I hate to be "that guy" but there is far too much information on this site to come to a conclusion about a player. May I please ask for a suggestion?
Dec 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Anti-Hero

100+ Head-Fier
I really, really want a no frills, well built, high quality PORTABLE AUDIO player that will make the best use of my high end headphones for under $300. I don't want fancy smartphone looking things with a million features. I want to play lossless audio out of a player that can really make my phones shine.

Is there anything considered THE music player these days? My iPhone just doesn't cut it.

Sorry for making another thread, but all the reviews and suggestion all over the place are just overwhelming. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 10
It depends on who you ask, some people believe in the objective philosophy, while some others believe in the subjective philosophy.

Personally, from an objective standpoint the IPhone has a more than good enough DAC for portables, and just needs a LOD and Amplifier if you really think its "lacking"

I'm not familiar with IDevices, as i use android, but can IPhones not play FLAC?

Also, to my knowledge, nobody has ever successfully proved that they can tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 Vs FLAC in double blindfold testing. I know I can't. 

Edit: Can't tell if you're talking about portable use or desktop use. But by far the best that can be had for desktop use is the ODAC+O2 Amplifier by JDS Labs. It's completely transparent and can not be told the difference from $2000 DAC/AMPS, and was designed by a (former) member of head-fi who was an electrical engineer. If anybody says that anything is better for the price they probably work for a company and get paid to suggest things on this site. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I really, really want a no frills, well built, high quality AUDIO player that will make the best use of my high end headphones under $300. I don't want fancy smartphone looking things with a million features. I want to play lossless audio out of a player that can really make my phones shine.

Is there anything considered THE music player these days? My iPhone just doesn't cut it.

Sorry for making another thread, but all the reviews and suggestion all over the place are just overwhelming. 

There are some topics which are purely subjective. The best you can hope for is opinions you can trust and which in the end turn out to match yours.

Best of luck.

Dec 11, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 10
Sorry. I edited my OP. I'm looking for portable.

Dec 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 10
Good review on amplifier's here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

Personally I'd go with the IPhone + LOD + JDS Labs c421 for a portable setup. 

If you REALLY want to get away from the IPhone the Sansa Clip+ was recommended and measured by NwAvGuy (the creator of the ODAC and O2 Amplifier)

So it's really up to you, you can:
a) buy a sansa clip zip (new version of the clip +)---> If your disappointed: Buy JDS Labs C421
b) buy a LOD and JDS Labs C421 for your Iphone.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 10
+1 on the clip or the Sansa Fuze if you want something slightly bigger (but still much smaller than an ipod) and with a better screen than the clip. Get the older Fuze though with the wheel and put rockbox on it. I've spent many many hours on this topic and there is nothing that is more accurate imo. Check out anythingbutipod too for info. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #7 of 10
Yup Sansa clip+ or Sansa Fuze

I really hope something new comes out to beat out one of these two.. But, it just hasn't happened yet. I'd Like to see sansa release a new Fuze (the Fuze+ sucked/sucks) or maybe a whole new player.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
 But by far the best that can be had for desktop use is the ODAC+O2 Amplifier by JDS Labs. It's completely transparent and can not be told the difference from $2000 DAC/AMPS, and was designed by a (former) member of head-fi who was an electrical engineer. If anybody says that anything is better for the price they probably work for a company and get paid to suggest things on this site. 

Just out of curiosity, I don't suppose you'd mind posting a complete list of all of the more expensive amps you've been unable to distinguish from the O2 in blind tests (since you seem to be a member of the blind-testing cult).  Where the heck do you get off slagging all the people on this site who give so generously of their time to this community, accusing each and every one of them, without exception, of being paid shills.

NwAvGuy fanbois.  Sheesh.
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 10
I've gotten some good recommendations on thing guy...

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E07K-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/ref=pd_ybh_4

Anyone else want to chime in? Is it decent? Is the E17 any better for what I'm doing?

After further review, I'm thinking about getting the clip+. Looks exactly like what I want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back