I hate seeing these..but I really need some help.
May 21, 2009 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

crossmd

100+ Head-Fier
I've been doing alot of reading recently, and I'm looking for a replacement for my se530s. I bought them really before I had a strong sense of what it was that was important to me, and soon realized that they didn't quite fit the bill.

I really enjoy the sound signature of my k702's..so to some degree I guess I'm looking to(maybe subconsciously..) emulate that, but I really don't know quite as much about IEMs as I do about full size cans, and this scares me..for sure.

And thus! I enlist your help, kind folk of the portable boards..

Spelling it out..What I didn't like:
-Claustrophobic soundstage.
-Lack of detail.
-Not just rolled off, but muted, oft nonexistant high-end.
-Uncomfortable(too much pressure on the inner part of my deeper ear)
-TOO much isolation, almost got hit by a bus..more times than one with the Shures..so most of their use will come from areas where I will need some outside leakage.

What I'm looking for.
Great soundstage(alot to ask, I know for IEMs)
Strong mids with a good presence of highs..bass isn't terribly important.
Good comfortability, less pressure on the inner ear.

Alot of these make me think that I'm looking for something dynamic like the IE7's(comfort/soundstage, etc.) But then I hear tales of alot of warmth, which is okay, just something that I guess I'm not really used to.

Budget is about 150-175ish? $200's still good.

May 21, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 26
I'm going to have to say ER4P/S. I sold my K701 once I realized that the ER4P/S sounded pretty much the same, but better.
wink.gif

May 21, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 26
IE8 seems to be your best bet:
best soundstage below ES3X (high-end custom that trumps all except other high-end customs)
Detail only below UM3X and Westone 3
High's there, just need to burn-in a few hundred hours
Shouldn't even touch your inner ear, keep it shallow while finding a good seal
isolation is its weakness, and a plus for you (and me
smily_headphones1.gif
)
If you are willing to wait and store a few more bucks (I got mine for $211 on ebay, display
model though, but fully functional with original accessories and package), this would
be your best bet.
Otherwise, hope the new egg deal comes back (ie7 for $169),

If you consider the ER4S/P, look into isolation, because I've heard they are champs
in that department...

May 21, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 26
I am pretty much about to ditch portable audio all together when I get my killer $10k+ home setup this year. Portable audio is in fact silly. Compressed soundstage and poor sound quality. Anyways. The Shure SE530's are some pretty good earphones. In order to really see how good they are you must
  1. Remove the foam tips and use the modified triple flange sleeves. Look at the link to my tutorial in my sig.
  2. Have a worthy source with lossless audio.

The Shure SE530's are one of those earphones that don't surprise at first but as you get used to them over time you will grow to love them. It's usually always the earphones that "WOW" upon first listening are the ones that annoy you over time as they become fatiguing. Good luck on your search for a different IEM if you don't find my mod any success.

May 21, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by fabianwseko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
getting a pair of er4p may be even dangerous for you...
It happen to me to...my er6i gave me too much isolation..
i was hit by a semi truck last week..

What? Are you ok?

May 21, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 26
If you want balanced sound, fun-sounding ER4P/S without losing details and clarity and with quality bass but not overpowering, I suggest you try the PFE. If you think unamped it's not well-boosted, then you can get an amp.

May 21, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 26
When I read it through it sounds exactly like my SA6.

Doesn't have claustrophobic soundstage but you can't expect the soundstage of earbuds & headphones.
Good mids & highs, bass is present but it isn't the main thing.
Comfortable & easy to put on.
Isolation is good but still able to hear buses & cars.
Still within your budget $199 from soundearphones.com.

May 21, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 26
your choice would be er4p /PFE if you like akg 701, both should have good soundstage and good clarity according to my reading post here

PFE has 14 days return policy, or you can buy er4p in fs forum, that should fit your budget well

May 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 26
crossmd from what you say i have 2 suggestions

denon C751 wont give you everything you want perfectly but closer to what i think you are looking for than most

senn IE8 it sounds just what your after but is over budget

oh and if u dont like the 530 then i would suggest not bothering with the IE7, sound sig wise they are quite similar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back